1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glamour Pusses Unite! "I think I have an addiction problem"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by topaz, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRlady

PRlady flipflack

When my TV days stopped, that was the end of blow drying my messy curly hair straight. It never looked great anyway, 20 minutes in the DC humidity and it would frizz. But the requirement for serious women was helmet hair...

I think I've saved at least a year of my life in time I would have wasted blow drying over the last 15 years. :cheer2:

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I don't even know how to describe my hair. It's wavy at the roots and straight at the ends (the weight?). It barely holds a curl. Mostly it's big. I am bad with hair and generally don't know what do with it.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Hit ball, find ball, hit it again.

Late to the party, but I spray Static Guard on my brush when I'm struggling with the "finger in the light socket " look.

4. Andora

Andora Skating season ends as baseball season begins

I love lip stains, and lipsticks that don't have that "sitting on top of your lips" look. So I have a lot of things I use.

Nyx Suede lipsticks are really impressive. They last, but they don't look chalky. I have three of them, two that are wearable shades. :p Nyx Matte lipsticks last while, too. If I put it on in layers, it lasts forever. (That old apply, blot, apply trick)

Marc Jacobs lipstick came in my Sephora birthday sample, and I'm quite impressed at the staying power. I'll buy another shade one day.

Vincent Longo made my favourite lip stain of all time - if you can find it (found it in Vegas a year ago) then you can't go wrong with those. It leaves that stained into your lips look, like you just had a popsicle. Then I can pop any non-oily chapstick/balm on top.

I hope lip stains come back again. I love them, but all my preferred ones have been discontinued.

Simone411 likes this.
  5. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Hair tak: I HATE my hair. It wavy up top and tirn curly on the bottom. I also have streaks of hair that is straight. That all equals serious frizz, specially after I walk out of the ice rink. Scary. I do color it every 8-10 weeks to hide some grays. Thankfully it's not a lot of grays.

Skin care talk: I'm so basic, just Target stuff like Neutrogena and Olay. I do plan on purchasing the Mia2 this weekend. My new years resolution is to start using better skin care items, I am 40 now.

kosjenka and clairecloutier like this.
  6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

My hair is straight. Extremely straight. Hard to curl straight.

My idiot sister-in-law who is a self-centered narcissist cannot comprehend that my hair is actually this straight and constantly goes on to me about how I am mean to her for not sharing my brilliant hair straightening secrets.

Which are, you know, genetics.

7. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

The air gets really dry here in the winter with the cold temps. Not much I can do clothing wise. My sweaters are button-up or open. :/ I use conditioner and a leave-in detangling spray. If I remember, I'll use another leave in oil or the static spray. I don't really like the scent of the static spray though, smells like static guard. I've tried just spraying on my hairbrush. The past two days have been slightly better.

I'll have to look for this next time I'm at Ulta. Unfortunately, I've already got oily hair so I'm hesitant to use products that make my hair look more oily if you even use a drop too much.

I'll have to try this! Maybe on Sunday when I don't have anywhere to be in case it doesn't work. :lol:

8. Simone411

Simone411 I'm Clippy and I'm an Ashleyholic

Don't feel bad about your height. You should feel great about it. As a matter of fact, according to my home health care nurse, I am an inch taller than I thought I was.

When the nurse at my doctor's office measures my height, I'm 5'7". My home health nurse made me lie on my bed last week, and measured my height. She took out her measuring tape and went from my head to my toes. According to her, I'm 5'8". Either way, I always had long lanky legs and was told years ago to never wear those black stirrup pants that were in fashion.

I did wear those to work one Friday when I worked for the property management corporation in the 1990's. I thought I looked great and I was wearing a very cute top. My boss nearly choked because she couldn't stop laughing when she saw me. I immediately looked at her and said "What???!!!" She finally stopped laughing and asked me to please never wear them again, especially in public, because it made me look like I had toothpicks for legs. She said I had Olive Oyl beat when it came to skinny legs.

That evening I went to our family's camp on the Sabine River, and I didn't change. I had planned on changing when I got there. The laughing started immediately when I first got out of the car. My dad and my stepmom were laughing so hard that they had tears in their eyes. They also asked me to please never wear them in public!!

I never did wear them again. I cut off the stirrup part and made them into warm up pants when I worked out on my rowing machine.

The point is that I've never been ashamed of my height. My dad was 5'11" and my mom was nearly 5'3". My first cousins are around 2 inches taller than me and bigger boned. Their dad (my Uncle) is 6'2" and they got their height from him.

9. Weve3

Weve3 Channeling my inner Savchenko

You have bangs?! :eek: Oh, dear me! I'm kidding! :)

In a pinch, spritz a little (high quality) hairspray on your hairbrush, should do the trick when you go to style them.

Andora and Simone411 like this.
  10. quartz

quartz Invisible middle-aged woman

Oh dear, bangs aren't in current style either?
    Well, that's too bad because I've been rockin' them for 52 of my 54 years. :p

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Not currently :p but I have in the past.

Weve3 likes this.
  12. Weve3

Weve3 Channeling my inner Savchenko

Yeah, I did too!

I also once had a permanent wave that did bare a striking resemblance to an anvil that my grandfather had in his garage :scream:

Talk about a styling nightmare. OMG! :gallopin1

All pictorial evidence of this time has been destroyed. It had to be done! :saint:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

ITA with the posters who know who they are and what works for them.
    Since we are on the topic of hair--mine have improved with the taking of Biotin supplement every day.

Some hairdressers suggest prenatal vitamins but I couldn't take those even when pregnant, the iron makes me sick. So I took some of the ingredients separately, getting iron from my diet.

As to heels: I am short but more importantly, have very arched feet. So the only flat shoes that are comfortable are tennis shoes. I can't wear them to work obviously. I am on my feet a lot so had to find something that was comfy and looked good--wedges!

Most of my shoes and boots are wedges. I do have some high stilettos that I apparently know how to wear (I was once complimented by a native Parisienne!) but I save them for special occasions where there's minimal walking. Although I can dance in them if I have to.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    clairecloutier likes this.
  14. quartz

Take a look at my hair. :yikes:
    It's got straight sections, wavy sections and a whole lotta cowlicks. Since the cowlicks are incorrigible, they dominate, and rather than try to tame them, I scrunch up the rest of my hair to work with the crazy bits so that it's somewhat consistent. I'm about 30% grey (actually it's silvery white) but my hair dresser camouflages it with caramel and burgundy.
    I don't brush my hair. That just makes it lumpy. I finger comb it while I have my conditioner in. I'm stuck with shoulder length. If I go much longer, it gets straggly in the back and if I go shorter I look like a soccer mom. But for some strange reason, lots of people love my hair. :huh:. I've learned to just accept it and work with it rather than against it.
    Maybe in my next life I'll have flowing silky raven tresses. :D

LilJen and skatesindreams like this.
  15. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

People always love what they can't have ;) Acceptance is really key. It's always easier not to fight what's natural. I love my hair when it's short but then I actually have to style it and I just can't be bothered anymore. My hair went fairly curly post-chemo and it took some getting used to but now I'm okay with it. I'm completely inept when it comes to hair styling so I have to keep it simple. Every once in a while I'll try following a supposedly easy youtube tutorial but it's usually a discouraging experience.

16. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Well-Known Member

I have the opposite hair from you, straight on top, the bottom four inches are curly.

oleada likes this.
  17. BittyBug

BittyBug Awakening to an Orwellian Nightmare

The key to heels is the make and fit. I wear heels very rarely now because of back issues, but I have a pair of 70mm stilettos that I could sprint in if needed. They truly are comfortable because they fit. If I'm trying on a heel and already teetering in the store, I go no further, as it's an indication that the fit is not right for me.

IceAlisa likes this.
  18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

Yes, so true. A shoe that's well made and fitted makes all the difference. Which is why I hope Ashley Wagner never wastes her money on Louboutins like she said she wanted to. They were invented by a misogynist, I swear. Straight out of Malleus Maleficarum. :scream:

19. quartz

I'll stick to my one inch chunky heeled hippie boots. I have horrible balance and manage to walk into walls even in sensible footwear! :p :D
    I will admire from afar you stiletto goddesses. :glamor:

20. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I have two pairs of Jimmy Choo heels and I FLOVE them. Both were gifts from my ex and I would do that relationship all over again just for the shoes. :lol:

Jenny, kosjenka, PRlady and 2 others like this.
  21. BittyBug

BittyBug Awakening to an Orwellian Nightmare

I hope you saw the Sex and the City episode in which Carrie lost her "Choo." :lol:

kimkom, kosjenka and Mayra like this.
  22. my little pony

my little pony war crawling into canada

you can tight line very easily with it. if you couldnt before with any other liner, try it with this one.

you can also just line the upper outer lash line to make it look thicker. you dont have to do the whole line. depending on the shape and size of your eyes, not extending to either end might make them look more open.

23. my little pony

and to answer my long ago asked question about lime crime billing, they do have a pay pal option and i got all the metallics and all the diamond toppers and i love them

fan likes this.
  24. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I have always had a problem with eyeliner running on me, so I could never tightline. Will this help with that? The only two eyeliners that have ever worked for me are Urban Decay and Make Up Forever Aqua Eyes.

my little pony likes this.
  25. my little pony

everyone is different but i always had problems with eye liner. i went through so many liners and primers. i love this eyeliner, love it. i tight line very quickly and easily with this and it doesnt run at all on me.

if you are on the fence, there is a kat von d/ too faced combo with a small one so if you dont like it, you still get a mascara out of it

https://www.toofaced.com/p/new-collections/better-together-bestselling-mascara-liner-duo/

FiveRinger and Mayra like this.
  26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I use eye shadow primer because eyeliner always runs. I use Urban Decay and it works really well. I do not tightline, though.

FiveRinger and Mayra like this.
  27. my little pony

my favorite eye shadow primer right now is milani, i threw it in the cart to get free shipping but i like it a lot

Andora, kosjenka and FiveRinger like this.
  28. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I will definitely be checking this combo out. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

my little pony likes this.
  29. my little pony

i agree. also, i find if the front part of the shoe is completely flat, they will be uncomfortable for me. as long as there is a little bit of a rise on the front i am fine.

put me in a totally flat shoe, i will fat right over

30. kosjenka

kosjenka Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother

if its not too late, rather get Foreo Luna.
    Its so much better. Plus its silicon anf thus you need no replacing brush ect

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.