1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

Glamour Pusses Unite! "I think I have an addiction problem"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by topaz, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Time to start a new threat.

From @maatTheViking -
    none of these work that well with hooded eyes :(. I do like blue and I might do a single blue eyeliner (though I like the double eyeliner look). I have tried following several tutorials on putting liner (or smoke out, or plain shadow) on the lower lid, and it always looks horrible. I think my lower lid is really short, and I have really dense lower lashes (I can't mascara them) so it always look dark. I can put a champagne on the lower waterline, and that is it.

I definitely think you can do a single blue eyeliner, especially a winged liner look.

So even shadow/liner on your lower water line looks bad?

Have you seen these tutorial, https://youtu.be/tkrR26ucsA4 and https://youtu.be/_utWAvBVhwY

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

From the last thread - in reference to throw-it-out guidelines, maat said:
    Bingo.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm sure that is the case.

4. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I don't Jenny. Mascara can go bad due the bacteria in the product. I've smelled bad mascara before.

However, powder products can be sanitized as some cream products like blushes, lipsticks and eyeliners. I have had some lipsticks become "gummy" on me before but they were old, like a few years old.

I haven't read many posts about throwing out "all" makeup after a certain time. Besides many high end products are so pigmented with color that it is virtually impossible to use up the products in a few months.

Most of my makeup stash is several years old.

tamms, PRlady and Veronika like this.
  5. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Danish Ice Dance! Go Laurence & Nikolaj!

Thanks, those tutorials look great, I will take a look when I get home.

Yeah, liner on top looks great, though I usually don't go for a full winged look. Anything on the bottom of my eyes (lower lid/lashes) looks like I fell asleep in goth makeup.

6. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Here is a great video on Lady Gaga's superbowl look, which I loved.

7. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

@maatTheViking - I started doing winged liner a few years ago and I just can't do anything else now. I'll do a small kitten liner for most looks but when I want quick look, I'll do a neutral eyeshadow and bold wing liner like this.

A more recent picture with my newer glasses. I actually posted this on the sephora beauty board with listing of the products in this look. Excuse the lipstick stain on the shirt. I changed clothes after church on Sunday.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Personally I use my own judgement - if the product does look right, smell right, taste right and function right, it's gone. I've never had an issue with skin irritation or infection with an old product - any issues I've had (few and far between) have been the first time I used the product - something in it didn't agree with me so I either returned or tossed it on the spot.

I've been in countless meetings with marketers who have two missions: get more people to use their products, and find ways for existing customers to use their products in new ways and/or more often. Recommended replacement dates are a common tactic - why do you think everyone tells us to change the batteries on our smoke detectors every time the clocks change? Sure, it's a good safety precaution, but make no mistake - that was a battery company's idea decades ago. Similar to the reasons that we all eat bananas for breakfast, feel guilty if we don't send our Moms cards in May (and even better, every mother in your life! Or mother figure!), demand a diamond ring when we become engaged (and even better, spend three months salary on it!) etc etc.

Now, not to say you're wrong because you obviously know a lot about these things, just explaining why I'm a tad cynical about such things :) I do wash my makeup tools regularly and am careful about keeping everything clean.

Not a particular fan of hers, but I thought she knocked that out of the park on all fronts - the performance, and the look.

Veronika and maatTheViking like this.
  9. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying about other products but I haven't actively seen many cosmetic companies outside of mascara usage tell us to use this product by such and such date. I was referring to make up products only.

10. maatTheViking

yeah, my reactions to the article in the previous thread was the last item - if you have had it more than year, it should probably be thrown out. And I call bullshit on that.

myhoneyhoney and topaz like this.
  11. beepbeep

beepbeep Brazilian Eurotrash

Pixiwoos gave it a shot and is reporting she needs new eyelids :lol:

I'll always try to buy the smallest mascara I can find. My go to, at the moment, is Benefit They're Real on travel size. It's the only one I can go through before it expires (if only they made my beloved brown on that size...). But I still have some 4 or 5 mascaras that are over one year old and are fine.

And I lurrrved the UD Gwen Stefani palette. Good old UD staying power, and the colors can be built on beautifully from fading to stark looking.

I'm not wearing much make up right now. We've been having a lot of 35ºC+ days here and stuff just melts, no primer can hold it (how I miss the Barcelona weather where everything would last the whole day...). Just regular SPF 50 and a hat, since I managed to get my scalp toasted (thanks, fine blond hair) and I'm out. I'm not even wearing concealer :eek:

12. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

@beepbeep have you tried any or many makeup setting sprays?

beepbeep likes this.
  13. beepbeep

beepbeep Brazilian Eurotrash

Yes, I'm quite addicted to them actually :D (I have tried the fancier stuff, but ended up sticking with the local brand, rather generic, almost hair spray one :) )

They usually do the job, but the heat seems so extreme this year that not even moisturizing+SPF+primer+ultra resisting make up+setting spray seems to do the job.

Just the eye make up survives, oddly enough (eye lid primer, UD/Nars eye shadow, Benefit push up liner + they're real mascara).
    The rest of the face just melts away (even with MAC or Benefit concealers).

Which reminds me, I quite liked Meteorites Baby Glow Foundation/BB Cream (in 2/light). Just enough coverage, matches my ultra pale skin, SPF, gives my skin a nice glow without making it oily. Has a good lasting power under 30ºC.

myhoneyhoney and topaz like this.
  14. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

IDK about companies, but I've seen articles on BuzzFeed and in Glamour magazine about throwing out stuff - surely companies are suggesting this stuff, too.

ITA with Jenny about the whole consumer culture - use, use, use, buy, buy, buy!!! Or you're a dirty, irresponsible person :lol:

skatesindreams likes this.
  15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Veronika and maatTheViking like this.
  16. maatTheViking

I know @Jenny I have been eying it. I would probably not use most of those shadows. But it so pretty.

17. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

We had a whole discussion in a Glamour Puss thread about throwing stuff out.

I have heard 6 months and I've seen that often. I don't follow it but that's what I've been told.

18. maatTheViking

I watched the tutorials @topaz they were super nice, thanks.

I tried a blue winged liner today, not entirely successful
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AHIG0ze7xnT8oLA&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

It is a lot more blue in person

I used a stila liquid liner, but I don't love it. Color is great, but the pigment doesn't flow to the tip? When pressing hard on my hand I get a lot of pigment, but from the top half of the tip. Means I can't really use the fine point to draw a fine point, if that makes sense.
    Lots of people recommend the stila liner for felt tip ones, so I assume it's user error.

I have a liquid liner with a little brush too, I think I like that type more.

clairecloutier and topaz like this.
  19. Aceon6

Aceon6 Hit ball, find ball, hit it again.

6 months was recommended by my ophthalmologist. Since I never spend more than $10 on a mascara, it's not a problem for me.

20. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

That looks fab! :smokin:

topaz likes this.
  21. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I have super sensitive eyes. I can always tell when I need to replace mascara because my eyes get itchy and watery. I get about 3-4 months out of it.

The guideline is probably based on super sensitive types like me rather than normal people. Lol!

I was looking at the new Gwen Stephanie UD blush palette today. Real nice but I think it was more of a blush, bronzer, highlight palette than all blush. One of the pink blushes was super light so if you are not super pale, it's not going to work as a blush.

I don't think I will purchase as I already own the ambient highlighting palette and some other blushes and bronzers.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

This new perfume sounds like something I might fall in love with. And yet I can't find it anywhere. :wall:

23. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Lookin' mighty glamorous there, woman! Woohoo!

topaz likes this.
  24. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Oooooo, want! I'm loving eyeshadow right now, enought that I was upset a few weeks ago when I realized I didn't have a navy blue shadow to match my top. I might have to buy this one!

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

I like the new glasses, @topaz :glamor:

topaz likes this.
  26. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Love the pictures!! @maatTheViking your eyes look beautiful - I wonder if you might try a paler lip so that your eyes are the focus of the look? @topaz your skin is luminous.

maatTheViking likes this.
  28. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I think throwing out your mascara even if it's not used up after 6 months of first use makes sense. You don't want bacteria overgrowth that close to your eyes. This might also be true for liquid eye liner for the same reason... avoiding getting too much and the wrong kinds of bacteria into the eye.

I don't think it makes a whit of sense to throw out anything else though until it stops performing as it's supposed to. My eyebrow powder and eye shadows last for years and my lipstick for slightly less time but still way more than 6 months. And a pencil eyeliner isn't as likely to end up in my eyes as well and you can use the pencil sharpener to get a fresh start.

skatesindreams and attyfan like this.
  29. Aceon6

Aceon6 Hit ball, find ball, hit it again.

I had forgotten how nice a looooong shower, mini facial, and lots of moisturizer feel. My skin has been on fire from the 3 days of super cold and dry weather. I think it's fixed enough to go back to Dr. Gross tonight.

tamms likes this.
  30. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Too Faced has a new palette out on 2/28 called Peanut Butter and Jelly. https://www.toofaced.com/p/eye-shadow-palettes/peanut-butter-and-jelly-eye-shadow-collection/

The palette actually looks really really good. I have tons of eyeshadows and palettes so I am trying to find dupes for these shadows. But I think it would be a palette that would work on many different skin tones. PRLady, Myhoneyhoney, Maat and others.

Here are some youtube reviews/tutorials:

Samantha Schuerman
    Coffeebreak with Dani - one of subscribed beauty channels. Dani is so funny.
    JkissaMakeup
    Mrslolalynn
    Leslie Alvarado - Her look is super fierce and her wing liner gives me "life".

maatTheViking likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.