Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

altai_rose

If you want to purchase one at Sephora (ie. you have a gift certificate or want the reward points), Tarte Lights Camera Splashes is good. It is waterproof also.
I use Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes. I like it but don't love it. It does it's job without being excessively sticky or clumpy, but I'm not sure if it's better than a drugstore brand.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
My go-to waterproof mascara is the L'Oreal Butterfly Intenza. It's cheap, fans lashes well, stays on through swimming or a workout and comes off easily with makeup remover.

Is it cheep in Israel too? ;)

skategal

Bunny mama
I use Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes. I like it but don't love it. It does it's job without being excessively sticky or clumpy, but I'm not sure if it's better than a drugstore brand.

I agree. I think drugstore mascaras are much better value for your money.

But if I was forced to buy one at sephora, it would probably be one from Tarte. Lol!

Bellanca

I think drugstore mascaras are much better value for your money.
I agree. After spending waaaay too much $$$ on the expensive stuff over the years, and usually being disappointed and racked w/ guilt over the cost, I find the lower priced products to be just that, lower priced, but not lower end in quality. I love discovering a bargain-basement deal that looks like a million bucks! :bribe: :)

iloveemoticons

@clairecloutier Thank you for your Deceim reviews! I am interested in trying the rosehip oil and marula oil too, and I definitely want to try the foundation too. On Youtube, it seems like reviews for the Ordinary's Vitamin C suspension were mixed, apparently it feels gritty and stings a bit for some? I'm not sure...

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
@clairecloutier it seems like reviews for the Ordinary's Vitamin C suspension were mixed, apparently it feels gritty and stings a bit for some? I'm not sure...
Its true. Personally, I dont see a big deal. You apply it and it devolves into the skin. I only had a little bit of stinging, but for 5 seconds. Nothing major. Its a nice product. I noticed results after 10 days of using it.

oleada

What powder, if any, do you guys use? I've always used Clinique Stay Matte pressed powder over my foundation but I'm thinking about maybe trying something new. I was hoping to order it today since Sephora's 2x points are ending.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Oh, and I was looking for a headband to replace my old terrycloth one that I wore while washing my face/applying make up and ended up buy this which I thought might appeal to some of the cat lovers on FSU :cat::lol:
Cheap trick I learned in HS drama club: Got old pantyhose with runs/ladders? Cut off the top 5-6 inches. Presto, a great headband to use when putting on or removing makeup!

Suggestions for something cruelty-free to replace my DHC Deep Cleansing Oil? Love the stuff--removes makeup really well and doesn't leave my face dry, BUT I really want to use cruelty-free products.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Have any of you glamour pusses used Rent the Runway?
I have looked at it and know people who use it. But I am such a control freak when it comes to a good fit, 95% of my clothes are altered to fit me, mostly hemmed and taken in because I am petite. So I couldn't feel good in a dress that doesn't fit me perfectly.

No RTR for me. :(

But just yesterday I saw a few cute dresses there, so if your figure is more standard, it's definitely worth a try.

@oleada I like Charlotte Tilbury and MUF HD powder.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I'm going to an event in September, and everyone is required to wear a red ball gown. Since I look terrible in red, I don't want to buy something I'll never wear again. There's some pretty stuff on RTR; the only thing that worries me is what if it doesn't fit? I know they send back up sizes, so, eh. I have time to ponder.

I got the cobalt mascara from Loreal yesterday, and it's super fun.

skatemommy

My 19yo DD has enough makeup to fill up a suitcase. She watches instructional tutorial videos till he$$ won't have it. Yet she never looks like she is wearing a lot. She looks gorgeous and very natural. She looks fab with flat-ironed hair and highlights, yet much to my dismay she can't be bothered.

attyfan

For formals, you also might want to check thrift stores. The price plus custom alterations so the dress will fit you might still be less than RTR. (I often get clothes at thrift stores and have them altered ... a 60.00 for my Saint John knit pant suit plus 15 for alteration is still less than the several hundred dollars for such suits at the Saint John outlet store)

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I'm going to an event in September, and everyone is required to wear a red ball gown. Since I look terrible in red, I don't want to buy something I'll never wear again. There's some pretty stuff on RTR; the only thing that worries me is what if it doesn't fit? I know they send back up sizes, so, eh. I have time to ponder.

I got the cobalt mascara from Loreal yesterday, and it's super fun.
Can you do a red evening skirt with a black, cream or taupe top? As long as you get the red away from your face and neck, you'll look your usual mahvelous self.

skategal

Bunny mama
What powder, if any, do you guys use? I've always used Clinique Stay Matte pressed powder over my foundation but I'm thinking about maybe trying something new. I was hoping to order it today since Sephora's 2x points are ending.

I'm not a big powder user as I have drier skin as it can look cakey on me.

Some days I skip it altogether.

When I do use it, I use either:

1. Laura Mercier loose translucent powder (you only need to use the tiniest amount. A jar of this will last for years.)

2. Hourglass ambient finshing powder (I use the light yellowy one, Diffused Light. When I have a tan, Dim Light matches better.)

3. Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder

myhoneyhoney

Do's and Don't of eyebrows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIbvqp9dAoM

My absolute favorite look is the second one with the powder, so soft and natural. Of course I could never achieve this effect, I can barely wield my Anastasia Brow Wiz. :drama:

I need that brush! I suck with eyebrows, I barely have any (thanks Mom's side of the family) and have to do a lot of filling in. making it look natural is UGH.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Agree with all these suggestions re the red dress. Other options include adding an accessory around the neck/decolletage area in a colour you prefer - a collar or wide ribbon you could pin in place, a little jacket, a lovely long silk scarf, even a feather boa (which having met you several times, I think you can definitely pull off).

IceAlisa

Am I an autumn? Olive skin, dark brown hair, hazel eyes

hanca

Values her privacy
I would probably go for very dark red wine colour, if generally red doesn't look well on you. No one can say a word about you not sticking to the colour requirements, red wine is still red, but at least not as screamy red as some shades of red can be.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
So I went to Goodwill today and found a dark red gown for $10. It's strapless, so I can get a shrug or something in a different color to wear up there so it isn't so....red. And it has a small train. I love trains on gowns. Also, I can't gain an ounce. It fits perfectly. :)

clairecloutier

Kind of an aside, but my coach told me she never wears red. I was so surprised, because she has very dark hair/eyes and fair skin, and would look great in red. I guess she doesn't like it, though.

I really like red, but the shades of red that have been in style lately seem more autumny--russet, coral, etc., which I can't do at all.

IceAlisa

I can wear red, in fact love wearing it. There are certain greens I can't wear because they clash with the green undertones of my skin. And not a fan of royal blue. Sky blue on tanned skin, yes please. Or yellow is the same problem as green. Anything else is fair game.

Sounds like problem solved, PL! :cheer2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information