Gilles and Poirier Cheer Thread

Sylvia

TBD
Reviving this thread to post this recent interview:

Pj Kwong interviewed Gilles/Poirier in Boston a day after they finished competing at 2016 Worlds: http://www.openkwongdore.com/2016/05/09/episode-7-piper-gilles-paul-poirier/
... So – at basically the moment that the 2015/2016 season ends – I talk to Piper and Paul about their creative process and the timetable that goes with it. It was something I wanted to explore given the fact that these two are among those leading the charge in terms of innovation on the ice.
ETA: that Kwong also congratulated G/P yesterday on her social media:
"It was apparently announced at SC #‎icesummit [Skate Canada's annual meeting]‬ that part of their SD will become comp[ulsory] dance from ‪#‎ISU‬"

Re-posting replies from other threads:
Very cool! The footwork in their march sequence was distinctive and interesting, quite memorable compared to most of the other programs. I think it's a good choice.
This isn't the first time that this has happened with them actually.
Carol Lane spoke of a rule change regarding a dance spin two seasons ago that had to do with their dance spin.
I can't remember if it was in a hold or change of direction but it was a technical element change

Last edited:

barbarafan

I'd like to see it called "The Piper" and watch all the eye-rolling, head-clutching, teeth-gnashing, and mouth-frothing from all her not-fans. :drama:
When the isu decides to do this does any money be paid to the choreographer for the use of his creation..maybe call it the Deanstep

kates8

When the isu decides to do this does any money be paid to the choreographer for the use of his creation..maybe call it the Deanstep
I find it funny that people continue to think that Dean is their primary Choreographer. If I recall correctly, I think out of the 10 short and free dances they have put out there, only 2 were from Dean - Imagination and the Paso - were there others? All the rest I believe were done by their coaches Carol Lane and Juris Razgulajevs and themselves.

barbarafan

I find it funny that people continue to think that Dean is their primary Choreographer. If I recall correctly, I think out of the 10 short and free dances they have put out there, only 2 were from Dean - Imagination and the Paso - were there others? All the rest I believe were done by their coaches Carol Lane and Juris Razgulajevs and themselves.

Who did Hitchcock..that is the one I liked.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I think Hitchcock was their coaches. And I say that because I recall an interview where they discussed the current seasons SD (Paso Doble) being choreographed by Dean and that they hadn't used him the previous season. And Paso Doble SD came the season after Hitchcock.

Dean gets a lot of undue credit for their programs when I feel their best, most interesting and creative programs have come from their own coaching team. Hitchcock and this years FD I think are the best so far and neither is the work of Dean.

barbarafan

I think Hitchcock was their coaches. And I say that because I recall an interview where they discussed the current seasons SD (Paso Doble) being choreographed by Dean and that they hadn't used him the previous season. And Paso Doble SD came the season after Hitchcock.

Dean gets a lot of undue credit for their programs when I feel their best, most interesting and creative programs have come from their own coaching team. Hitchcock and this years FD I think are the best so far and neither is the work of Dean.

I did like Hitchcock and both of this year's programs...last year's lp was grosse.....I luved all of Vanessa's and Paul's programs before they switched to Dean's. I am just wondering what is going to happen this year when Bent has to turn senior...Will they say with Lane or leave?

mirage

I did like Hitchcock and both of this year's programs...last year's lp was grosse.....I luved all of Vanessa's and Paul's programs before they switched to Dean's. I am just wondering what is going to happen this year when Bent has to turn senior...Will they say with Lane or leave?

Well it is Juris's son, so I think they will stay. Anyhow, Bent is one of Carol's darlings so why would she leave???

barbarafan

Well it is Juris's son, so I think they will stay. Anyhow, Bent is one of Carol's darlings so why would she leave???

The question is can Carol give her best to 2 of her darlings..ie can she equally root for Bent and G/P. Bent was junior last year so was not competing with GP

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
She won't be the first coach to have to split her best equally. But speaking of Bent, how great could she be for Canada if they could find her a Moir, Poirier or a Poje. She reminds me a bit of Shae Lynn Bourne, right down to the same type of wallpaper partner. Just thinking out loud, probably not the place to discuss it beyond this.

mirage

The question is can Carol give her best to 2 of her darlings..ie can she equally root for Bent and G/P. Bent was junior last year so was not competing with GP

Paul always was , is, and always will be her Darling. Nothing comes between her and her Paul. Until Gilles and Bent, who know how to play Carol's game, the girls were always at the bottom of the heap.

Anyhow, Bent and Dimitre will grow and develop together and will do quite fine as team # 2. especially with all the other teams leaving Scarboro.

That all being said, i would not be entirely surprised to see them go somewhere else eventually - Montreal?

Last edited:

WanderlustTO

Yay! Bump!

I was so thrilled at how they performed this weekend at SC. Their free dance was my favourite - this program is such an awesome vehicle for them - it funnels their strengths into a program which is so enjoyable to watch.

I know i've been a bit lukewarm about them in the past (although I warmed up to them more last season). But I'm now completely sold on them.

I also really love the way they've just kept on getting better on a season-by-season basis...not just technically, but as performers and the way they've become so fantastic at projecting their choreography.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I liked their FD a lot last season, so original. But they really improved over the summer, esp. her. I do not like tango on ice and they manage to grab and retain my attention with it, that's quite an achievement. Plus this season I greatly enjoy their SD as well. Well done to them to keep pushing.

Last edited:

screech

I really enjoyed their tango. They definitely had the proper flair (especially compared to the Russians who did not look like they were dancing a tango). And I loved their difficult foot placements, like stepping between each other's feet and everything.

I also like that they went out of the ordinary and went for ice blue for her dress. Though with Paul's trimmed moustache, I thought he looked like Gomez Addams in his costume.

kittysk8ts

I really enjoyed their tango. They definitely had the proper flair (especially compared to the Russians who did not look like they were dancing a tango). And I loved their difficult foot placements, like stepping between each other's feet and everything.

I also like that they went out of the ordinary and went for ice blue for her dress. Though with Paul's trimmed moustache, I thought he looked like Gomez Addams in his costume.
I love how they stayed in character until they were off the ice. They are just so much frigging fun. They have been a breath of fresh air since their very first competition at Skate Canada Challenge in 2011.

firstflight

I love how they stayed in character until they were off the ice. They are just so much frigging fun. They have been a breath of fresh air since their very first competition at Skate Canada Challenge in 2011.

And their completely platonic relationship (as in no bit of romantic heat in their interactions) actually kind of works with this particular tango's setting. They're not doing the all-passion version of Grishuk/Platov. It's an ice and fire tango where they can be coy or even mysteriously aloof in parts of it.

mollymgr

I was more impressed with the tango at the Skate Canada outing. I think this was a wise move to do something more traditional for the free dance this season and also show their range. I also love the use of disco for the short dance. They definitely capitalized on the ISU leaving the hip hop rhythm definition wide open. This is one team that never wants to be like anyone else. I'm looking forward to these programs looking great by Worlds.

shutterbug

Ryerson ice dancer focused on Olympic quest
So how’d they better their score by almost 12 points?

“We do ballroom, we do Argentine tango lessons, we do Pilates, we have an off ice trainer, we do ballet, modern, and then all of our on-ice training.”

The word demanding doesn’t do the figure skating lifestyle justice. At any competitive level, really.

“We’ve added three extra hours a week (on ice) for us to work on the tiny details that we normally miss because we’re too focused on getting the run-through done,” said Gilles.

2016 SCI was the best they've ever skated in their career together. Hats off to Piper, she has improved enormously since coming to IDE. Good luck to her and Paul going forward.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I have resisted the lure of Gilles/Poirier since they began, but this year they are making a believer out of me. They are now my third favourite Canadian dance team. I have long-held loyalties to v/M and W/P, but have to admit that G/P are inventive and fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information