1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

fungal infection...in my EYES! :(

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nypanda, Jul 15, 2011.

  1. nypanda

    nypanda Well-Known Member

    Having exhausted all other internet options, as well as that of my doctor's (for now) I am turning to FSU -- keeper of all great knowledge -- to help me with my present dillimma.

    I have - and have had for six weeks or so now - what my doctor has deemed a fungal infection in and around my eyes. :yikes: It sort of comes and goes, but when it is acting up (every five days or so) and looks like a red puffy, painful skin reaction. Then it gets all wrinkly, making my eyes look like those of an 85 year old's. Then they sort of scale over, peel, and simmer down until it all starts over again...

    This started when the allergy season was so bad -- apparently triggered something else. No change when I traveled, so I've ruled out environment. Have ceased using all my product/eye makeup -- that's not it. I have now omitted sugar and wheat from my diet - it's helping a little (the present flare up started after drining 2 lemon drops with sugar rims on Tuesday).

    Doc has prescribed $90 eye drops, which do seem to have cleared up my eye balls, and lotrimin and benedryl cream around my eyes. This helps a little. Last night I got desperate and put
    on them...didn't hurt, might have helped.

    Has anyone ever had this horrible affliction?!?! What else to do?!?!
  2. Aceon6

    Aceon6 Hit ball, find ball, hit it again.

    I'm not familiar with the condition, but if you haven't already, you might consider consulting to a dermatologist, ophthalmologist, or an infectious disease specialist. In order to kill something, you have to know exactly what it is.
  3. GarrAarghHrumph

    GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

    Putting a medication not designed for the eye area on or near the eye area can sometimes cause damage. There are different types of antifungals, of different strengths, for different bodily uses - if you think this is a fungal infection, you'd probably want a doctor to prescribe something that would work, and can be used around the eyes.

    As Aceon6 said, you may want to consult with a different type of doctor, one who is more specialized re: skin, or eyes, or fungal infections, than the doc that you normally see.
  4. Wyliefan

    Wyliefan Well-Known Member

    You might ask the doctor if you could take Diflucan. My mom was given that when she had candida, which is a type of fungal infection.
  5. Cruella

    Cruella New Member

    I feel your pain, nypanda. I struggled with the exact same symptoms for at least 5 - 6 months a few years ago. No doctor, derm or opthamalogist could figure it out and I was at my wit's end, not to mention feeling incredibly self-conscious about how bad my eyelids and the skin around my eyes looked. Some days, it looked like someone had punched me in the face. I replaced all my makeup, changed my moisturizer, tried different drops and creams -- nothing worked.

    After much online research, I began to suspect I was allergic to benzalkonium chloride, a stablizer found in many products. Turns out it was in both the eye makeup remover and eye drops I was using. Oops! Once I stopped using them, the problems went away immediately and have never recurred.

    No idea if this is what you've got, but take a look at the ingredients list of some of the products you're using (or Google, if they're not listed on the box). Hope you figure it out -- I know how incredibly frustrating this can be.
    nypanda and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Finnice

    Finnice Well-Known Member

    Do you use nail polish? I had similar symptoms ages ago when I used nail polishes which contained toluene and formaldehyde. Even it is in your finger nails, you touch your eyes a lot and it can irritate badly.
  7. MarieM

    MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

    I have a fungal infection on my feet and have been playing with it for the past 5 months, and nothing works !

    But in the eye ? Wow ! Try eyepatch maybe, there are some with essantial oil like tea tree made for the eyes. I just don't know where you can find them !

    Didn't your doctor give you antibiotics ???
    nypanda and (deleted member) like this.
  8. GarrAarghHrumph

    GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

    Antibiotics won't work if this is a fungal infection or, as her doctor seems to think re: the treatments he's given her, potentially an allergic reaction.
  9. nypanda

    nypanda Well-Known Member

    Doc thinks it is a fungal thing exacerbated by allergies...she did prescribe the drops and the lotrimin...now, of course, I have to jump through multiple hoops to get a follow up appointment in order to get a referral...in the MEAN time....hideous eyes.

    Cruella -- thanks for the tip - -I will research that right now. What made you narrow it down to benzalkonium chloride? Possible.

    Wyliefan - thanks - I will look into that as well.

    Finnice -- no nail polish, but I do touch my eyes/face alot...hmm...

    I suspect that this is coming from inside my body somehow, manifesting itself around my eyes when my eyes water excessively. Could be wrong....could be a chicken and egg scenario...but I am prone to random fungus/yeastie things all over my body, so I'm trying to treat that possible cause homeopathically as I can while I wait for the medical wheels to turn. :(
  10. Rex

    Rex Well-Known Member

    nypanda - do you wear contacts at all? I am asking 'cause I found this article from the AOA website.
    nypanda and (deleted member) like this.
  11. nypanda

    nypanda Well-Known Member

    nope no contacts. Thanks for the link though!
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Rex

    Rex Well-Known Member

    Sure :). I hope you feel better soon.
    What about mold or fungus in your house?
  13. Satellitegirl

    Satellitegirl New Member

    I had the same thing. The only thing I could get to work, was compresses, and then I had eye drops from the doctor as well. My whole eyelid would swell, then the swelling would go down and it would scale over and peel. But yeah, compresses help a LOT, or at least they did for me.
  14. nubka

    nubka Well-Known Member

    I have had it since 1981, and after all this time, I've still never had a clear explaination of what it is. It has caused me much discomfort throughout the tears. The cracking and bleeding are the worst. :( It does indeed follow a cycle.
  15. Lainerb

    Lainerb New Member

    No, but I have been battling a staph infection for a year now that comes and goes and leaves me nearly bed ridden when it's really bad. At the least I can commiserate with you in regards to a chronic medical problem that keeps reoccurring.
  16. shan

    shan Well-Known Member

    I feel bad for all of you. That sounds awful to deal with. :(