1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

FSU Reading Rainbow (book thread)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by genevieve, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartz

quartz Take off, eh!

I laughed quite a bit when a few years ago, they sent us their Nascar Romances! :D :scream:

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I didn't say all Harlequin lines are worth reading ;)

I think it's time for a new thread.

3. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

But first - Obviously I am not talking about all paperback books that are published by Harlequin. I read the Harlequin paperback romances in high school. For some reason I remember one about a nurse (not a bodice ripper) who tried not to fall in love with a patient, and his family thought she was a gold digger because she was poor, but they realized she was a wonderful person (I think she was raising a little boy all by herself or something) and they all lived happily ever after (just like in Danielle Steel books!). :)

4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I should think not a bodice-ripper, given that Harlequin didn't really focus on them. And I don't know when you were in high school, but unless it was pretty recently - the romance genre has changed. Category romance has changed. And while romances novels are expected to focus on a romantic relationship (sometimes more than one) and the romance should have an optimistic resolution (whether happily ever after or happily for now) that still leaves a lot for an author to play around with.

If anyone is interested, this is a good article on bodice rippers and their role in the history of the romance genre.

skatesindreams likes this.
  5. Prancer

Prancer Slave to none, master to all Staff Member

You are correct. Who wants to take a stab at a bookish title?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.