1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Figure Skaters Who Were Adopted, Fostered, or Grew Up in Single Parent Households

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by missing, Jan 11, 2017.

1. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I write a blog for a local non-profit organization that fulfils the requests of area children in foster care.

I thought it would make a nice blog entry to write about skaters who were either adopted, fostered (perhaps by a family member) or grew up in a single parent household. I'd like to focus on American skaters, and use Nationals as a tie in.

So far I have Scott Hamilton, Peter and Kitty Carruthers, Ann Patrice McDonough and Aaron Parchem, all of whom were adopted, and Debi Thomas, whose parents were divorced.

If anyone here can come up with other possibilities, I'd be very grateful. I'll research any skaters you list, so you can put down people you think might fall into the categories but you aren't certain (I had to eliminate several skaters I'd thought of because it turned out they didn't grow up in single parent households).

If you want to do your own research, that's great too. Thanks to this People Magazine article, I learned Scott Hamilton and Kitty Carruthers used to date!

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Randy Gardner was adopted.

Weve3, aftershocks and lala like this.
  3. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Was Tonya Harding from a single-parent household? (Might not fit your article though.)

Oksana Baiul was from a single-mother household and then lost her mother and then grandparents, IIRC. But she's not American.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

Max Settlage (Senior Pairs, looking for a partner) was adopted from Vietnam.
    Brynne McIsaac (2017 Nationals/Junior Ladies, 2015 & 2016 JGP competitor) was adopted from China.

ETA:

Erika Smith (she used to be listed as Erika Choi Smith), Senior pairs with AJ Reiss, was adopted from Korea.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    dinakt, aemeraldrainc and barbarafan like this.
  5. Ageless

Ageless Active Member

I believe Rohene Ward was raised in a single-parent (household). I remember there was a feature one year at nationals where someone paid for her to come as a big surprise to him.

Iluvid and barbarafan like this.
  6. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Scott Hamilton adopted two kids!

Iluvid and barbarafan like this.
  7. mackiecat

mackiecat Well-Known Member

Wasn't Rudy Galindo raised by a single mom or was it his sister

8. Kecasyl

Kecasyl Well-Known Member

Jeremy Abbott was from a single parent home for awhile before his mother re-married.

Iluvid likes this.
  9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

And Peter Carruthers used to date Tai Babilonia. Tai was also formerly in a relationship with one of the actors from the Brady Bunch. :)

Weve3 and Iluvid like this.
  10. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Agnes Zawadzki's back story is fairly compelling.

11. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

Nicole Bobek never met her father. She was raised by her mother and her mother's female friend/partner. Nicole referred to her as her aunt.

12. Willin

Willin Well-Known Member

He's not American, but Florent Amodio of France was adopted from Brazil.

Iluvid and chapis like this.
  13. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

Rudy's mother was severely mentally ill. His sister spent a lot of time taking care of him. But his father remained involved in his life and helped finance his skating.

barbarafan likes this.
  14. overedge

overedge doing shots in the Grublets on Ice dressing room

IIRC Danielle Kahle was from a single parent family and had several brothers and sisters. Her mom must have been quite the organizer.....

Iluvid likes this.
  15. annie720

annie720 New Member

Jo Jo Starbuck was raised by her mom but I don't remember the circumstances. I do remember that the book that I read about her when I was young (a biography or autobiography) emphasized how they got by with very little in the way of material things.

LBB66 likes this.
  16. Iluvid

Iluvid Active Member

Rudy's parents were very poor but they wanted him to continue skating so he lived with the Yamaguchi's. His father passed along with his brother and coach. When he won nationals in 96 he said he loved them when he was in the kiss and cry.

17. Iluvid

Iluvid Active Member

Yep Laura worked so she could help support him ❤️

barbarafan likes this.
  18. Iluvid

Iluvid Active Member

His mom is so sweet

shine, jenniferlyon and Kecasyl like this.
  19. Iluvid

Iluvid Active Member

In 2006, I was there and it was a great surprise

20. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

Adam Rippon (I think he has 4 other brothers and sisters), Paige Ryburg (sp) are both raised by single moms. Douglas Razzono (sp). His Mom remarried a few years ago, but he was an adult by then.

21. Kecasyl

Adam is the eldest of 6.

mysticchic and aftershocks like this.
  22. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Yagudin and Totmianina were also raised by single moms. Totmianina's mother died a few years ago in a car accident IIRC.

Julia Lipnitskaya has also never met her father and was raised by quite a skating mom.

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's father died in either 2011 shortly after her first (and only) Junior Worlds.

23. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Well-Known Member

Also not American, but France's Surya Bonaly was adopted.

24. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

She's American now. :shuffle:

25. Weve3

Weve3 Channeling my inner Savchenko

Christopher Knight aka Peter, her first boyfriend.

26. Weve3

Rudy's story is heartbreaking, yet beautiful, all at the same time.

My apologies for the thread drift.

27. aftershocks

Right, the name "Christopher" was on the tip of my tongue. I could even visualize his face, but his real name and especially his Brady character name escaped me. Because every piece of trivia can not be retained. :)

Actually, I recall Tai's relationship with Christopher was covered a bit in the book Forever two as One, by Tai & Randy with Martha Lowder Kimball.

Randy recently performed in a one-man show about his life (which covered a lot of things including his being adopted and rediscovering his birth mother as an adult -- Randy found out that his birth mother had been raped and gave him up; his birth mother actually used to watch him skating on television but she did not realize he was her son until years later).

Jeschke likes this.
  28. Weve3

I thought they were such a cute couple, but a young couple, so the odds were probably against them from the get-go.
    Very true! :lol:

I do know my Brady Bunch trivia! ;) :p :D and of course, I love Tai & Randy.

Adoption is wonderful! :encore: I remember some of the skaters, already mentioned further up the thread, talking about how blessed they were/are to be adopted, etc. Good stuff!

aftershocks likes this.
  29. aftershocks

30. Kecasyl

Elena Ilinyhk's parents divorced when she was 2, and she was raised by her mother. She lived with her grandmother in Michigan from ages 12-14(where she became fluent in English).