Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jot the Dot Dot, Jun 2, 2010.
TNG, all the way. I also loved all the movies too.
I'm not surprised that I'm the only one who thinks DS9 is the best series. I thought the acting was the best overall and I can't think of any episodes from any other series that were better than The Visitor, Far Beyond the Stars, Duet, Whispers, In the Pale Moonlight, Hard Time, and Trials and Tribbleations. (I would put Inner Light and Best of Both Worlds from TNG on a similar level.) I think DS9 turned off a lot of viewers because it moved so dramatically from the Star Trek formula.
I love TNG only because it was the first ones I saw.. but I also love TOS too.. And I love the new movie too .... Spock was hot in both of them lol
TNG is my fave but DS9 would be a close second. I think if I were to ever watch DS9 in its entirety in a marathon viewing sometime it might surpass TNG. Alas, I'd have to rent the DVDs because I doubt it'll wind up in syndication anytime soon.
You're not the only one. I posted upthread that I think so.
TNG all the way. With Voyager a close second. I'd actually like to re-watch Voyager again, I've rewatched the other series a number of times. DS9 grew on me, but they've got too many damned Ferengi episodes and not enough characters I really cared about.
I thought s1 and s2 of ENT kinda sucked, but s3 was excellent and s4 was also very solid, but by then they'd scared off most of the fans, so it got shut down.
I liked TNG when I watched. Picard was the best
The original series with Deep Space 9 following a close second. DSN had two yummy male actors in Avery Brooks (love his voice) and Alexander Siddig. And then there was Gul Dukat, the best TV villain since JR Ewing. I liked TNG well enough but I can't watch the episodes over and over again the way I can episodes from the original series.
I was a kid in the mid-60's, so I actually remember when the original series first aired. Boy, does that ever show how old I am...
My husband always trots out that line!!! Um, have you HEARD any of his Shakespearean monologues? I don't think they can properly be called acting. They're simply. . . bizarre. (Sorry that I can't supply some examples, because they're quite entertaining.) I give you that he can do funny, for sure. But really seriously act? Naaah.
Civic: AVERY BROOKS. IS. THE. AWESOME.
I loved Voyager and Enterprise. I was heartbroken when Enterprise ended after only four seasons. I miss Captain Archer's beagle Porthos!
TNG. DS9 is watchable.
Avery Brooks is a great actor! He himself, is a little, um, different. I saw an interview with him once where he both asked himself questions and answered them! The interviewer was amused, kind of like, remind me why am I here?
DS9! This is the best nerdy thread ever!
We called her "borg-bie".
You're not the only one. I got the whole Enterprise series as a birthday gift and it's become my favorite along with TOS. I like TNG, too. Never got into DS9 or Voyager.
Shoot, I meant to vote for TNG. Jean Luc Picard
TNG! Trivia question. Which series did a remake of the famous Star Trek classic episode, "Trouble With Tribbles"? I'm asking because I think it was either TNG or DS9 and I don't remember which. Any help appreciated!
I think it's no contest.
Nothing beats this. End of story.
Although I have to admit that 7 of 9 is the Marilyn Monroe of the series. Whatever happened to that actress?
Deep Space Nine.
Jeri Ryan? I think she's on "Leverage" now. She was on "Shark" too - which I was James Woods show the I loved, so of course it only lasted about 2 seasons.
ITA! I still remember the chills from hearing Patrick Stewart's delivery of those lines.
BTW, for those in the Philadelphia area, Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner, John DeLancie and others are making appearance next weekend at wizardworld. Info is here: http://www.wizardworld.com/home-pa.html
Some of you may have already seen this, but it cracked me up.
This is a classic one I've linked in response to a few posts on this site.
WOOHOO Star Trek thread!!
1. Voyager: Although the hardcore Trekkies regard Voyager as the weak link of the franchise, I loved it through and through! Janeway was by far my favorite character and the best Trek Captain IMHO. Her take no sh!t from no one attitude was just way too awesome and totally refreshing. When Picard would try to find a diplomatic solution to every threats, Janeway would blow you to pieces if her crew and her ship was compromised.
Not to mention great characters like Seven of Nine, The Doctor, and the whole Borg storyline it was one of my favorite TV ever!
2. DS9: I really enjoyed the drawn out story arcs with the Dominion war and the religious undertone. DS9 really focused on the characters because they are on a space station and often times they cannot rely on the "alien of the week" to make a show. The acting as a group was the strongest from the franchise, especially Nana Visitor who played Kira.
3. TNG: Grew up with TNG, didn't like it at the beginning but totally won me over towards the middle. I love the setting of Enterprise D, the bridge looked like a family room it was so cozy . I remember they had a series finale party at Sky Dome!! Too bad I couldn't go...
4. Enterprise: It was just mediocre... My eyes rolled so hard every time the script had lines like "Maybe you Vulcans would do XXXX but we humans would do XXXX because humanity is blah blah blah".. and that happened pretty much every other episode. The characters were also...not likable except for a T'Pol, Sato, and Phlox. Oh and Porthos, I got a beagle because of him . Another problem I had with Enterprise was the storyline. So many episodes were rehashes from previous series it was really evident that the franchise needed a deserving break.
5. The Original Series: Never really seen it but my dad was an uber fan and he got me into Star Trek/Sci Fi in general.
I do hope the new movies would reinvigorate the franchise and they give us a new series... preferable set in after Voyager's time line. I want to see what happens to Alpha Quadrant and the Federation!
Thank you! It's been awhile since I've seen that particular episode.
The episode is Trials and Tribble-ations. I actually think DS9 did a better job using the original show's mythos than TNG. TNG had the episodes with Scottie and Spock, but they were pretty dull (and the quick bit with Bones in the pilot was a throwaway). DS9 put its characters into the tribble episode, created an entire set of episodes using the TOS Mirror Universe, and did a good episode using TOS Klingons.
Seeing how little people appreciate the TOS makes me want to cry.
I actually met George 'Mr. Sulu' Takei. Still has that instantly recognisable voice. And $H!T has he aged better than Shatner.
ITA about the mirror universe episodes in DS9, but I kind of liked Spock's appearances in TNG. And yes, the bit with Bones in the TNG pilot was a throwaway, but I still liked it a lot.
I remember going to a Creation Con once and George Takei was one of the guests. He was very nice to people, signing autographs and chatting away. Afterwards, I was in the hotel bar with a few friends, and he bounced in (he was very high energy ) and was looking for some friends, and stopped and asked me and my friends if we'd seen them. Then he found his friends and ran off! It was kind of surreal actually.