Evgenia Medvedeva Cheer thread

altai_rose

Congrats on her first Euros win :encore:

Too bad about the double axel but otherwise it was a wonderful performance. She has wonderful charisma :)

Its a little concerning that she made a mistake on the same element in the short and long. Perhaps the double axel would be more secure and easier if she didn't do it with the tano?

I look forward to seeing her at worlds. Hoping all things go well :cheer2:
I agree 100% with your post. I hope that she can rework her axel technique over the summer and get some proper kneebend and spring into that jump. It's a glaring weakness.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Congrats to Zhenya on her first European title. She will be the favorite to win at worlds, along with Gracie, I think.

She is so young and she looked so upset when she came off the ice! Two mistakes in one competition was very uncharacteristic of her. I felt for her when she cried in her coach's arms. Her reaction when she found out that she had won was genuine and adorable. She is after all only 16.

NAOTMAA

I agree 100% with your post. I hope that she can rework her axel technique over the summer and get some proper kneebend and spring into that jump. It's a glaring weakness.

The fault lies with Eteri. Julia has the same problem with her double axel, although she showed some improvement on it at nationals. They don't seem to step into it and spring up but instead throw themselves into it and skim across the ice. I'm shocked if nobody ever said anything at the pre-season test skate since like you said its pretty glaring and been going on.

Edgecase

The fault lies with Eteri. Julia has the same problem with her double axel, although she showed some improvement on it at nationals. They don't seem to step into it and spring up but instead throw themselves into it and skim across the ice. I'm shocked if nobody ever said anything at the pre-season test skate since like you said its pretty glaring and been going on.

I agree, and even Fedichkina and Radionova who are not Eteri's skaters seem to have similar issues. The only Russian lady who really jumps up off the toe is Adelina.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I agree, and even Fedichkina and Radionova who are not Eteri's skaters seem to have similar issues. The only Russian lady who really jumps up off the toe is Adelina.

Don't forget Liza. She has good jump technique on all her jumps, including the triple axel.

Edgecase

Don't forget Liza. She has good jump technique on all her jumps, including the triple axel.

Absolutely true. Sorry I had been subconsciously thinking only of people with clean edge take-offs. Liza uses mostly her legs to jump up which is not only good technique but what the Russians in general have been known for.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really like her answers. Here is one of them:

Icenetwork: Do you prefer to skate this program or the short program, which you skate to another soundtrack, Melodies of the White Nights?

Medvedeva: (thinks a little) Can you say if you prefer your daughter or your son? (She laughs, and all of us around the table laugh at the same time. Can you believe she just turned 16 last November?)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really like this young lady, but I am afraid that the pressure of being the favorite may be too much for her. I don't see her winning the gold, but I would love to see her on the podium.

I know this is not the right thing to say on a cheer board, but I am just being realistic. This year it's going to be VERY difficult to predict who will win the ladies gold because there may be 5-6 contenders with a real shot.

If Zhenya does win the gold in Boston, she will join a rare group of skaters that won the world championship at their first attempt.

The best I can wish for her is good health, and two strong skates in SP & LP. Let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Genya is a delight but Satoko makes me happier with her musical choices and interpretation. But both have beautiful "form" and are gracefully feminine; neither drives a Big Mack Truck down the ice. I'll be happy with either of them winning in Boston.

Go, Genya and Satoko!!!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Go Zhenya! Skate two perfect programs at the world championships in Boston!

Edgecase

She held her own today in the SP. Is it me though or does anyone else think the skirt of her dress looks awkward with her long limbs?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
She held her own today in the SP. Is it me though or does anyone else think the skirt of her dress looks awkward with her long limbs?

I didn't notice anything with her skirt. I thought she was wonderful.

I didn't notice anything about her skirt. She handled the pressure well. She delivered a strong SP,

She fought back today after she couldn't pull off her usual 3f3t combination today. She did 3r3r later. Good thinking on her skates.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
She had a bad draw but she got the job done.

She and Elena have a bad draw for the LP also. The skating order really favors the US ladies but that's life.

PashaFan

Is the draw rigged ?. The US skaters seem to be getting amazing draws in the order of skate.
I think Miyahara was way under marked & Evgenia too.
Gracie deserved first but not such high marks.

NAOTMAA

ALL HAIL THE CHAMP!!!!!!! :encore: :cheer2:

I admit after Euros and the SP I was getting rather worried but she really pulled it off when it counted most and proved why she was the best this season. Keep going girl! :respec:

bardtoob

I have to give you credit. It is very hard to live up to such high expectations, and you did! Bravo!

Edgecase

That freeskate was very special, and I'm glad the Boston crowd gave her the ovation she deserved. And, I do like her LP dress much more ;)

topaz

I am so proud of my daughter. Evgenia is a gamer and super competitive. She let her training work for her. Russian ladies are the heros for Team Russia at the 2016 Worlds.

Evgenia is here to stay in my opinion. I put her as a favorite or the 2018 olympics.

psycho

Congratulation to Evgenia! :encore:She had that storybook ending to her season that I so wanted for Yuzuru. So satisfying when someone is a rock star all season and gets the biggest reward of the year. And with a WR too!:biggrinbo

Can we petition for more spots for Russian girls? They've got 2 world champions and 3 world medallists (and possibly an Olympic champion) all fighting for 3 spots. It's going to be another exciting season! :eek:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Congratulations Zhenya!

Around mid season I started noticing her. Loved her programs, her consistency and her great maturity for her age. Watching her in practice I was so impressed! I was nervous when she took the ice. Will the pressure of her first worlds get to her? She was unbelievable. This is the best I have seen her skate and I look forward to a long and successful career for her.

She is just 16 years old but she has the maturity of a 20 year old. She has been a great find for me this season.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Congratulation to Evgenia! :encore:She had that storybook ending to her season that I so wanted for Yuzuru. So satisfying when someone is a rock star all season and gets the biggest reward of the year. And with a WR too!:biggrinbo

Can we petition for more spots for Russian girls? They've got 2 world champions and 3 world medallists (and possibly an Olympic champion) all fighting for 3 spots. It's going to be another exciting season! :eek:

If there is a petition like that, I would sign it in a second. Of course it won't happen.

IMO what has made the Russian ladies so great is having to fight for those 3 spots everytime, no matter how small or big the competition. This really showed in the ladies competition here. Elena was unlucky in that she had to skate first, and those who followed her skated great too. It doesn't happen often.

These three young ladies restored some of Russia's reputation at these worlds, after the 3 pairs could not win even a bronze.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
With this win, Evgenia joined a very select group of figure skaters - those who won the gold at their very first appearance at senior worlds, after winning the junior worlds the previous year.

I can think of only G&G to do that. Kimmie Meisner won the worlds in her first appearance but she had competed at the Olympics just one month earlier, and I dont remember if she was the junior world champion the year before (not trying to diminish her gold medal).

Oksana Baiul won gold at her first world appearance in 1993. She did not compete at Junior worlds (I think she didn't compete internationally as a junior)

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
If she can survive puberty (a big if) she could become the dominant skater of this era, and one of the greatest of all time. Even Kim and Kwan didn't truly dominate their eras, even though both were clearly the skater to beat of their eras. She is already super consistent, and as she gains more strength and power, her skating will fill out more, her jumps will become bigger, and if that happens she will really be almost untouchable. That is a big if though as we have seen many young phenoms struggle once they reach puberty. That test has yet to even begin for Evgenia.

Right now though it is a sweet moment for her and her wins, recovering from the possible shock of not winning the short despite skating well and coming in as the heavy favorite (and not even being 1st Russian after the short), and coming out with her best performance of a season full of great performances and smoking perhaps the strongest ladies field in decades. At only 16. It is clear the pressure of being the favorite to win at her first worlds did not bother her at all. She is virtually nerveless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information