Everything Facebook - Pros, Cons, Changes, Advice, Help Needed...It's All Here, Folks

El Rey

We're supposed to be getting some music thingies this week; whether it will be music players or what, I don't know. But according to an article I read, we will wake up to that one day very soon.

They're having their f8 conference today. Supposedly they're having social listening via Spotify and Rhapsody. And some kind of integration with Netflix. My friend works at Facebook New York and the music part is his favorite new feature. I don't like any features on Facebook though. I just like to get on and see what people are doing and look at pictures.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
For those interested, This Is My Next has a livestream as well as individual reports on the new changes.
http://thisismynext.com

Timeline is going to be beta for now but we should get the music services soon. Netflix integration is nixed at least temporarily in the US, weirdly enough.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
this round of changes is not as jarring as the last major shift (I still am :wall: at them for moving the notification icon from the bottom right tot he top left of the screeen, so that it's only visible/usable if you scroll all the way to the top). I really hope if they add a music feature it's only for the user - as in, I could set music that I hear when I am on FB, but NOT so that everyone who clicks on my profile would hear. I never used myspace because the crappy designs and the blaring music made for a really dreadful experience 99% of the time.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Well, now that they changed FB again, here's something else you can do to go back to a normal looking news feed, plus eliminate the scrolling feed on the upper right.

Just create an "all news" list and add all your friends to it. Then when you go to FB, click on that list and your FB looks normal.

The Village Idiot

Demon Barber
The look of fb is the least of my concerns if the general gist is the same. What I don't like...from what I can tell thus far:

1) Any comments I make on my own content (comments/photos/et al) puts that comment back to the top of my friends' feeds? How annoying. This feature makes me want to use fb less b/c I don't need every single comment I make broadcast to all my friends. Sorry friends! I really don't think I'm that important. Especially with photos being huuge now. People can change their subscription options on me to change this, but I wish there was a way to change what I broadcast vs people electing to change what they see.

2) You can't untag photos. (time to turn on the tag review setting!)

3) Any time I tag my friends in photos, their friends can now see that photo and comment on it, despite that album being set to my friends only. I don't think there's a way to change that.

That feed thing on the right is fb on crack, but I had to enlarge my screen to relieve the strain on my eyes a few upgrades ago so it's pretty much off my screen. Easy for me to ignore.

myhoneyhoney

Now say I upload a picture that is set so only my friends can view it. If my friend comments on my picture will THEIR friend (who is NOT my friend) be able to see the picture? I have all my photos set to "friends only" so you would think that it would stay that way but now... ???

PeterG

It's so nice of facebook to decide for me what's most important for me to view instead of letting me choose "Most Recent".... :mad:

Another glitch I'm experiencing, wondering if anyone else is as well. I move down the page and am reading something half-way down the page and in the blink of an eye I'm bumped up to the top of the page and need to scroll my way back down to where I had gotten to. Sometimes this happens multiple times, which takes a while to read through all the posts made since my last log-in...

Angelskates

Can someone tell me how put someone (or a group of someones) on limited settings? I want to have some people be able to see very little (pretty much nothing) but I don't want to unfriend, and I can't work out how to do it!

PDilemma

Can someone tell me how put someone (or a group of someones) on limited settings? I want to have some people be able to see very little (pretty much nothing) but I don't want to unfriend, and I can't work out how to do it!

When you post, click on the icon next to the blue post tab. It will give you the option to make who can see the post "custom", then you can choose a list off the new lists FB has allowed you to create, or you can post to "friends except..." and add those names. Once you do the second a few times, that should be a custom option for you. I do that to exclude a cousin's husband who posts nasty, vulgar sexual stuff as a response to everything--because if I unfriend him, his wife is likely to be offended. I also use a smaller custom list frequently.

To create a custom list, click on the "more" tab next to lists on the left side of your homepage and it will take you to a screen where you can create a list.

Angelskates

So PD, I do have to do it for every post now? It used to be I could have a limited profile list of people and tick what I wanted them to see.

PeterG

How do I make an "all news" list? I want my facebook to look normal!

I believe that facebook has decided for you how your page should look. Now you don't have to make any difficult decisions, because someone is doing it for you. Whew!

/sarcasm

Bonita

I don't understand why people other than my friends can put my name in the find bar and see my wall insofar as things I have posted on public forums (animal rescue groups, restaurants, etc.). That scags me out...several exes I don't want knowing ANYTHING about me or my life. Is this fixable? I tried to read the help section until my eyes bled, but I find FB help very unhelpful.

numbers123

I just discovered that I can manage what I see with lists. Create your list, select the list on the left hand side of the page, manage lists and select or "de-select" the updates to show.
And you can do the same thing with friends. Hover over their name, go to the "subscribed" selection and "de-select" those things you do not want to see.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
How do I make an "all news" list? I want my facebook to look normal!

You don't have to make a list. You can select the "recent news" link to jump down to the part of the page that has the regular news feed and then there are settings to control what you see there.

Angelskates

I just discovered that I can manage what I see with lists. Create your list, select the list on the left hand side of the page, manage lists and select or "de-select" the updates to show.
And you can do the same thing with friends. Hover over their name, go to the "subscribed" selection and "de-select" those things you do not want to see.

Can people see the lists I create? I don't want anyone seeing if they're on a "you suck" list :lol:

PeterG

Alexa5

Reading this thread reminds me why I don't do facebook....trying to keep myself private would be a full time job it seems :)

Angelskates

Reading this thread reminds me why I don't do facebook....trying to keep myself private would be a full time job it seems :)

It's pretty straight forward though, don't share what you don't want people to know. It's really no different to anywhere else on the internet.

FigureSpins

It's pretty straight forward though, don't share what you don't want people to know. It's really no different to anywhere else on the internet.
That's not true - on Facebook, you're supposed to use your real name. On message boards and other sites, you can use an alias. That's the main reason why people want the privacy settings kept locked down, the way they had it set.

That said, there are a lot of people who have no privacy settings on Facebook, use their real names, list their hometowns and relative's names. Then they post "Going out of town for a week..." It's just asking to be robbed, lol.

PDilemma

That's not true - on Facebook, you're supposed to use your real name. On message boards and other sites, you can use an alias. That's the main reason why people want the privacy settings kept locked down, the way they had it set.

That said, there are a lot of people who have no privacy settings on Facebook, use their real names, list their hometowns and relative's names. Then they post "Going out of town for a week..." It's just asking to be robbed, lol.

Don't interpret this as sarcasm, because, really, it's not. This "Facebook will get you robbed" thing is mentioned all the time. But what isn't is a real example of someone doing that and getting robbed. So I am really asking...has this ever actually been documented as happening? Or is it just one more paranoia in paranoid modern America?

(And FTR, my FB is set to maximum privacy settings and my address and phone numbers are not posted there)

Tesla

Whippet Good
Plus, you don't have to use your real name. My FB is set to max privacy settings, too, and I don't think I ever put in my address and phone numbers. At any rate, they aren't posted. As for the people posting all their information and posts about going out of town, well, that's them. That isn't something you (general) have to do. I don't think Facebook is as evil as some would like to think.

PDilemma

Plus, you don't have to use your real name. My FB is set to max privacy settings, too, and I don't think I ever put in my address and phone numbers. At any rate, they aren't posted. As for the people posting all their information and posts about going out of town, well, that's them. That isn't something you (general) have to do. I don't think Facebook is as evil as some would like to think.

I know people who use just their first name and an initial or their first and middle name and not their last name or a fake or altered last name. So, yeah, you don't have to use your real name or your full name.

I have 13 cousins that live nearly 1000 miles away. I am friends with nearly all of them on Facebook. Prior to last March, I had not seen any of them for 7 1/2 years. Before we all friended each other on FB, I would hear random info about them via my parents who got it from their parents. Since FB, I am in touch with them regularly (via PMs as well as commenting on stuff) know what's going on in their lives, see pics of their kids, etc...That is actually a good thing. People forget to mention the good things about it.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I would also be interested in whether FB posts have led to someone being robbed. I'm sure there have been scams pulled through FB - but there are email scams, mail scams, in-person scams...there are aggressive scammers out there, and there are people who will fall for lies. Nothing new there. But robberies of a person's home because someone was paying attention to their FB posts? If anyone has a link to an actual report, please post.

It's also not new to have one's real name and address/phone number listed publicly, in a place anyone can find it. Anyone remember that thing called the phone book? Sure, there are measures one can take to protect one's identity - hiding the street address, changing/shortening the name - but the default is to lay all that info out there and it's kind of a pain to get it switched. plus, if the complete info gets out there, it's there for at least a year (I often had old phone books lying around). :eek:

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information