Everything Facebook - Pros, Cons, Changes, Advice, Help Needed...It's All Here, Folks

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Well, I have the coolest and funnest FSUers as my fb friends, so yeah. :p
ITA, and all my relatives, nieces, nephews, uncles, cousins, etc. have FB accounts, too. Let's put it like this. I have 21 first cousins, around 27 second cousins that are all grown now and have children and some cousins I never knew existed until I got FB.

I also have numerous friends I went to high school with, worked with young and old. I recently received a FB request from one of my friends that's a singer with her own band that I had lost touch with. She performed at several jazz festivals and even performed with musicians like B.B. King, Bonnie Raitt, Buckwheat Zydeco, etc. So, it's also a good way to find some of your friends you lost touch with for one reason or the other.

Plus, I love my FB friends that I have here, too!

PeterG

I've noticed something that seems strange when I look at a friend's page. When I check out their friends, at the top are all the people we share as mutual friends. Below these people are non-friends with a box that says "add friend". But every now and then, that "add friend" box is not there. I could probably send a friend request by going to their page... Actually I can't. Just checked that out to see if it was possible. Weird. Do some people set up their page so that no one can send them a friend request? Instead, you have to send them a message and only they can then decide whether or not they send YOU a friend request?

Artemis@BC

You can change the "who can send me friend requests" setting but the only two options are "Everyone" or "Friends of Friends." So I'm not sure how those people managed to select "No one" for that setting.

Unless they've specifically blocked you ...
whistle.gif

Skittl1321

Is anyone else having problems with facebook messenger? (Which is now forced on Android- I can't check my messages from the browser anymore.)

I just get an error message every time I open it. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and it didn't help. There is no update.

The same thing is happening to my husband.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
Is anyone else having problems with facebook messenger? (Which is now forced on Android- I can't check my messages from the browser anymore.)

I just get an error message every time I open it. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and it didn't help. There is no update.

The same thing is happening to my husband.
I had trouble earlier this week - just really weird stuff.

Artemis@BC

I haven't had any problems with Messenger, either on my Android tablet or my Windows laptop. The only thing slightly weird is that my tablet pings when there's a new message, and I have the volume completely turned off so it's over-riding that somehow.

PeterG

I like the option at the top left of my screen that lets me change my News Feed from "Top Stories" to "Most Recent". That way I can just read the new stuff and when I start seeing stuff I saw the day before, I know I'm caught up. But...facebook keeps changing it back to "Top Stories". As if I want to re-read something just because a lot of people have liked it. So my question is, does anyone know if there is a way I can change the default status of my news feed from Top Stories to Most Recent?

Really

I need a new title
In a word, no. That, to me, is the biggest PITA about FB. However, they are insistent that their top stories algorithm is better than us wanting to see most recent stories first...

rjblue

Having a great day!
Yes. Save a link to your bookmarks that has the message on it that you are looking at most recent in your news feed, and use it to go to Facebook.

It should be this - https://www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr

I use the internet version in my browser, instead of the app, on my tablet for that reason, and so I have access to all the options, not just the app ones.

Really

I need a new title
My Blackberry Passport FB app would let me leave the newest first persistent, but I got a Samsung 7 last spring, and I have to keep going into the settings to change it. Sometimes it will stay for the duration of a browser session. I'll have to try the bookmark idea. Thanks!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Social Fixer will revert your setting back to Most Recent for you. I think FB Purity might too.

PeterG

Today when I logged on to facebook, the beginning of my newsfeed basically looked like this:

Bob is now friends with Bill

Bill is now friends with Brad

Brad is now friends with Barry

Barry is now friends with Ben

Ugh. I click on the option of "Hide Post - See fewer posts like this"...but I am not seeing fewer posts like this. I'm not interested in who is friends with who, that's people's private business. I am wondering if there is something in facebook's setting which could block ANY and ALL mentions of who is friending who. I don't think this can be done, but if I'm wrong, please let me know so I can make these changes. Thanks! :)

Simone411

Today when I logged on to facebook, the beginning of my newsfeed basically looked like this:

Bob is now friends with Bill

Bill is now friends with Brad

Brad is now friends with Barry

Barry is now friends with Ben

Ugh. I click on the option of "Hide Post - See fewer posts like this"...but I am not seeing fewer posts like this. I'm not interested in who is friends with who, that's people's private business. I am wondering if there is something in facebook's setting which could block ANY and ALL mentions of who is friending who. I don't think this can be done, but if I'm wrong, please let me know so I can make these changes. Thanks! :)
You can block. You can also go to the wall of a person and "unfollow" them. I've done that a couple of times because I was seeing all of her friend's posts and it was happening everyday. She continually had the kind of posts that where she wanted everyone to copy and paste to their walls or they weren't her friends, etc. I did unfollow her and it really helped as far as all of that went.

PeterG

This isn't what any of my friends are posting. It's facebook sharing information about what friends are doing...which these friends have no control over. It's like facebok is playing the role of neighbourhood gossip.

"Did you know that Bob is now friends with Bill? And Bill has friended Brad? Well, whoever would have thought!!"

STFU, facebook. Basically it's just facebook's way of getting me to stay logged into facebook longer so that with the time I spend there, I will see more of their advertising and they will make more money. As I said before, UGH. :revenge:

meggonzo

Banned Member
I rarely ever see the "now friends with" posts anymore. I kinda thought they didn't publish those in newsfeeds anymore.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There are add-ons to your browser that will hide that crap. Unfortunately, the one I was using doesn't really work the browser I've been using so I've been suffering instead.

Simone411

I rarely ever see the "now friends with" posts anymore. I kinda thought they didn't publish those in newsfeeds anymore.
Neither do I. That is for now at least. I just get tired of seeing friends of friends replies whenever I do respond to something. It's mainly my local friends that I have this problem with. If I respond to one of their posts, I start receiving little notifications that "Jo Jo" or "Huey, Dewey and Louie" replied, too, and those people aren't my friends.

I think the easiest thing for me would be not to reply at all to some of my local friends' posts, and that way, I won't receive all those little "pop up" notifications. I believe from now on, I'll just stick to responding to my FSU friends, and some of my family members. It's even happened when I'm playing a game. I end up clicking on the little x's in the top right corner of the pop-ups to close them. They will go away eventually after around 10 seconds or so, but it gets really annoying when you receive about 20 of those pop-ups within just a few minutes.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
You can select to not receive notifications on any post. FB assumes you want to be notified on a post you commented on in case there is a discussion going on that you want to keep up with. But you can select "turn off notifications" for that post and not receive any. I do that when all the responses are things like "Congrats!" because I don't need to hear about that 50 times a day. :)

I have a question: I have 925 friends on FB when I use it via the browser. But when I launch the FB app on my iPhone, it says I have 897. What happened to the other 28 friends?

PeterG

This probably shows up on my newsfeed more than on other people's because I seriously weed through stuff I receive. Any friend who posts more than once per day is unfollowed (I can go to their page when I want to get caught up with them). Anything shared or commented on which is from a source I have no connection to, I block that source. 99% of the "suggested ads" facebook sends my way is blocked. I only wants news of what is happening in the lives of my friends. So because I get rid of so much, I think facebook has to resort to telling me who is friending who to get me to stay logged in longer and seeing all their ads on the side of the page.

...it gets really annoying when you receive about 20 of those pop-ups within just a few minutes.

Yes, I hate how we get notified by what's happening, it can clutter up my screen which is really annoying if I'm working on uploading a photo album of pictures (and trying to describe the photos with the pop-ups blocking where I'm typing). And a new thing is that when someone comments on something I've commented on, a large box of the discussion pops up in the bottom right of my screen...which I do NOT want to have pop up there. This is another thing I did not ask for. :mad:

meggonzo

Banned Member
I usually use my phone for Facebook, but have noticed the pop-up for comments on a computer browser. Is there a way to turn that off, but still receive a notification?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I've had it turned off and still received email notifications. They may have changed the settings but at one point you could do it.

meggonzo

Banned Member
I have email notifications turned off, that would be awful to get an email for every notification! I just meant the chat pop-up type window when someone comments on your status. I prefer to just get the notification on the upper bar dropdown and then click on that if I want.

susan6

I've had to unfollow some of my more outgoing friends because Facebook is cluttering up my feed with "Erin likes this" and "Erin commented on that" and "Erin responded to this". Erin has a gazillion facebook friends (most of whom I don't know; she uses it to network and it's essentially part of her business). And I keep seeing their posts in my newsfeed because Erin gave their post a smiley face. Is there a way to turn this off, or is unfollowing folks the only way?

Moto Guzzi

My brother makes numerous political posts on our hometown's Facebook public opinion page. I have suggested at various times that he tone it down and stop posting so much but that hasn't stopped him.

One of his recent posts has angered a man who seems to be a stalker. He posted things about where my brother lives, our parents' farm (now ours), and my sister's car and pickup. My hometown is a small town and it's not hard to find out where somebody lives, but it's concerning that he knows so much about our family.

My brother called the sheriff's office and talked to a detective about the posts. My sister has been staying at our farm house, and she's going to talk to the detective tomorrow. We have screen shots of his posts in case he deletes them. Some of them are very disturbing.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I have email notifications turned off, that would be awful to get an email for every notification! I just meant the chat pop-up type window when someone comments on your status. I prefer to just get the notification on the upper bar dropdown and then click on that if I want.
You can control all of that. I get email notifications only when people comment on my stuff or send me a Friend Request as that's all I care about.

The popup is one of the things you can control as well.

PeterG

I've had to unfollow some of my more outgoing friends because Facebook is cluttering up my feed with "Erin likes this" and "Erin commented on that" and "Erin responded to this". Erin has a gazillion facebook friends (most of whom I don't know; she uses it to network and it's essentially part of her business). And I keep seeing their posts in my newsfeed because Erin gave their post a smiley face. Is there a way to turn this off, or is unfollowing folks the only way?

As far as I know, you can't control how many times people like and comment on various pages (showing up on your newsfeed). I have been clicking on the invisible pull-down menu at the top of right of these posts and unfollowing the pages and groups they like and comment so much. That has cut down on things, but it is continual work. I have on friend who lately is liking five or more pages/things every day and all of these show up on my newsfeed. If she continues liking so much stuff, I will unfollow her to clear up my newsfeed.

judiz

Last night I got a friend request from my mom. Problem is, we are already friends and the account that sent the friend request wasn't made by her. When she clicks her Facebook app on her epad, she is given a choice of two accounts, her own and this newer one. When she clicks her own, it asks for her email and password, then says they are not recognized. She can't get on Facebook to contact them about this issue. Should she just delete the app and start over?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information