Dylan Farrow Accuses Father Woody Allen of Sex Abuse

snoopy

I’ve never sat through an Allen movie because I am not a fan of the neurotic observation thing he has going on. But he just got an award at a recent show where they waxed on about how his movies so understood women. Some women, I guess. I wonder where his movies do well – I’d guess his box office $$$$ comes mostly from the East Coast.

Karina1974

What girl that age rips her family apart by getting involved with a guy who is several decades older than her and is basically her step-father? That's screwy.

Unless she was coerced into it. When there is a considerable age difference there is also often an "imbalance of power" present in the relationship as well. That, and the whole "father-figure" aspect - you can find a lot of relationships where the woman is older than 19, but that aspect is still present.

I should know - I was involved in one, and finally extricated myself from it last year. Guy was 34 years my senior, a compulsive liar and serial cheater (I was one of his "side dishes"), and also a sociopathic narcissist. He knew how to charm you, but you had to let him be in control. He doesn't like "powerful" women. Best part of the relationship was when I broke it to his long-time girlfriend that he was cheating on her with 2 women at the same time (and this is after she had taken him back after kicking him out because she suspected him of cheating).

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Haven't watched a Woody Allen movie in years..........and won't. He is totally creepy. Not sure Mia Farrow is any better.

I don't understand how the Hollywood crowd can be so accepting of and rewarding to such people with such appalling behavior....think Polanski. I understand being inclusive....but how do these people avoid the distinction between inclusive and lost-their-right to be included? What happened to right and wrong?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm no expert, but AFAIK attraction to young children and attraction to post-pubescent teens are distinct types of paraphilia, so I'm hesitant to use Allen's relationship with Soon-Yi, disturbing as it is, as evidence of pedophilia.

In Allen's movie, Manhattan, Mariel Hemingway may have been legally an adult but she looked (and acted) like a 12 year old girl. I'm pretty sure that was the last movie of his that I saw, now that I think about it. It completely creeped me out.

This is one reason why I don't really care how old Soon-Yi technically was. So maybe she was 18 when the relationship started and so legally an adult. Maybe she was 17 and that's the age of consent in NY. Who cares? The issue is what was her mental maturity -- she was a kid who still lived at home with her mom! Technically an adult but not living like one.

Now if she had been 34 to Allen's 74, I would have said: pffft. They would both be adults at that point. The age difference would have been more one of cultural differences and possibly not being in the same place in life, but that would be between them and stranger couples have been completely mentally healthily. But she was basically a kid and he had the place in her household of being a father figure. That is not healthy.

Perhaps pedophilia isn't the technical term for Allen's issues but I don't consider an attraction to teenaged girls on the verge of pubescence by grown men to be normal and I'm pretty sure there is a term for it.

D

Deleted member 19433

This is one reason why I don't really care how old Soon-Yi technically was. So maybe she was 18 when the relationship started and so legally an adult. Maybe she was 17 and that's the age of consent in NY. Who cares? The issue is what was her mental maturity -- she was a kid who still lived at home with her mom! Technically an adult but not living like one.

Now if she had been 34 to Allen's 74, I would have said: pffft. They would both be adults at that point. The age difference would have been more one of cultural differences and possibly not being in the same place in life, but that would be between them and stranger couples have been completely mentally healthily. But she was basically a kid and he had the place in her household of being a father figure. That is not healthy.

Perhaps pedophilia isn't the technical term for Allen's issues but I don't consider an attraction to teenaged girls on the verge of pubescence by grown men to be normal and I'm pretty sure there is a term for it.

19 isn't on the verge of puberty, it's way past puberty, and wouldn't be considered a mental disorder in any way. Strange and creepy, especially given their relationship? I can't disagree with that; it personally makes me feel uncomfortable too. But it SEEMS that she was a willing participant and she was a legal adult. As a legal adult, doesn't she have the right to make her own choice about what relationship to be in as much as he does? Shouldn't we give HER the benefit of the doubt that she wanted to be in the relationship? It seems it was a mutual choice, even if the pre-existing relationship and apparent power differential make it seem strange to us and make us assume that in some way she wasn't an equal partner in agreeing to the relationship. This is another example of where there's a big gray area, IMO.

ETA: This is from the Onion, but I find it pretty true actually in a not laugh-out-loud funny way.http://www.theonion.com/articles/boy-ive-really-put-you-in-a-tough-spot-havent-i,34949/

Last edited by a moderator:

MsZem

I see the sea
According to Wikipedia (not ideal, but it looks well-sourced), pedophilia refers to sexual interest in pre-pubescent children, hebephilia when the interest is in early pubescent children/teens, and ephebophilia for for those whose main sexual interest is in 15-19 year old adolescents. Using this classification, Allen would be in the latter group. I agree that a lot of his work and actions are disturbing to say the least, but it doesn't seem like he has a track record of pedophilia.

Which doesn't mean that Dylan's accusations are inaccurate or false in any way.

ETA: also according to Wikipedia, Mariel Hemingway was 16 during the filming of Manhattan and her character was 17.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I think it is probable that Dylan is telling the truth. It's possible she isn't.

I hate the treatment that alleged survivors of incest/rape often receive by the media, especially when the perpetrator is a famous, beloved individual. Wade Robson's recent allegations against Michael Jackson received absolute vitriol. Still, I hate the idea that one accusation can ruin a person's life - it isn't right that unsubstantiated allegations can do that. In these types of situations, where no one truly knows what happened, no one is vindicated. No one will ever truly know whether Woody Allen is a child molester or not.

No, it's not right. But it's not true that no one knows what truly happened. Ronan knows & Woody knows. And it's not like Woody has a lily white reputation in this area. Maybe it's not always true that where there's smoke there's fire. But we have a nice little blaze going here.

No. I think she would have found out either earlier than she did or after doing some investigating once she found out about the photographs.

The age of consent in New York is 17. If they started when she was 16, it would have been difficult, though not impossible, for them to have an affair for three years without anyone noticing something suspicious, especially since, when it would have started, she was living with her mother and a large number of siblings.

Mothers do not always know what is going on. There is no way Mia would have been Mother Earth with all those children if she was the type to turn a blind eye to that. And who cares about the age of consent in this situation? Soon-yi was a child in the home when Mia & Woody got together. She was Mia's child (& don't make the argument that she was adopted - what difference does that make?). Children have a right to be comfortable in their home without having to worry about creepy or criminal behavior. A non-sick-in-the-head man would have never been attracted to Soon-yi in the 1st place.

Once again I am sickened by Alex Baldwin. Why doesn't he just act & keep his mouth shut? Saying that this mess was a "family affair" & not the business of outsiders I guess means to him that rape/molestation is ok as long as it's a child in your home. And the prosecutor not going ahead with criminal proceeding even though there was probably probable cause because it would have been traumatic to a young child? Did he think that trauma would have been equal to the actual abuse? Translation - money changed hands or pressure was brought to bear or both.

BTW, shouldn't this be in PI?

Last edited:

barbk

I wouldn't consider 18 (or 17) to be on the verge of pubescence. :confused:
But I'd agree that he has some creepy aspects. Much as Mia Farrow does. (She married Sinatra when she was 21 and he was 50; not sure how much earlier than that they dated, had an affair and became pregnant with the much older Andre Previn while he was still married to Dory)

The viciousness of the custody battle on her part makes me wary of her influence on Dylan. The whole bit about the Valentine picture she sent Woody with the knife & turkey skewers pierced through the picture is beyond creepy.

D

Deleted member 19433

The viciousness of the custody battle on her part makes me wary of her influence on Dylan. The whole bit about the Valentine picture she sent Woody with the knife & turkey skewers pierced through the picture is beyond creepy.

:eek: Sheesh, I hadn't heard that one. Sounds like they both have a lot of issues.

D

Deleted member 19433

A non-sick-in-the-head man would have never been attracted to Soon-yi in the 1st place.

I hope you're referring only to Woody, with her status as [essentially] his stepdaughter? Because men are attracted to 19 year old women all the time and it doesn't mean they're sick in the head. Actually pursuing a relationship with a 19 year old when you're 30+ years older and have been in a long term relationship with her mother, that's probably indicative of some issues. But on the flip side, as I mentioned above, she WAS a legal adult and seems to have been willing, so shouldn't we give her the benefit of the doubt that she wanted the relationship also and allow her some agency to make her own decisions?

Karina1974

The issue is what was her mental maturity

Now if she had been 34 to Allen's 74, I would have said: pffft. They would both be adults at that point. The age difference would have been more one of cultural differences and possibly not being in the same place in life,

Mental maturity would still be a factor, especially if the man is in the relationship in order to get some kind of power trip out of it. I was 29 when I met the guy I got involved with - he was (a very young-looking and very "cool-" and "hip-" acting) 63. If I had the knowledge about human nature at that age that I have now (ironically gained because I was involved with him), our "association" - for lack of a better word - would never have lasted as long as it did. Unfortunately, it did take 10 years for every single piece of that puzzle to fall into place and, when they did, boy was it satisfying to expose him as the bullshitting charlatan he is! He used to "preach" the notion of Karma quite frequently ... I guess it never dawned on him that that concept applies to him as well!

I think men like him (and Woody) get involved with people they can overpower because, for all the power and influence they want others to think they have (and maybe they DO have it), there is a part of them deep down that is weak and flawed and the last thing they want is for others to find that weakness. The "worst" (and in a backhanded way, the best) thing is for another person to find and expose that weakness, because then they have to deal with it full-on. And when they do come face-to-face with someone who is strong and can withstand (and call BS on) their "act" they can't handle it, and that's when you see the right side of their face come out.

Last edited:

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
I hope you're referring only to Woody, with her status as [essentially] his stepdaughter? Because men are attracted to 19 year old women all the time and it doesn't mean they're sick in the head. Actually pursuing a relationship with a 19 year old when you're 30+ years older and have been in a long term relationship with her mother, that's probably indicative of some issues. But on the flip side, as I mentioned above, she WAS a legal adult and seems to have been willing, so shouldn't we give her the benefit of the doubt that she wanted the relationship also and allow her some agency to make her own decisions?

You are forgetting that in this case there's a power aspect, where the older person is in a position of authority over the younger person. That's a whole different set of issues that simply attraction.

Personally, I've always though Woody Allen was creepy.

D

Deleted member 19433

You are forgetting that in this case there's a power aspect, where the older person is in a position of authority over the younger person. That's a whole different set of issues that simply attraction.

No I'm not, I specifically mentioned that in my brief paragraph you quoted and in other posts in the thread.

It's just a gray area for me how much that power imbalance should lead us to judge their relationship, and how much we should respect her right to nonetheless willingly participate in the relationship, given that she was of legal age.

taf2002

I was referring to the attraction that started when she was a minor. They "came out" when she was 19. Do you think she had a birthday & a light bulb went off in his head? As for her being willing, see post below:

You are forgetting that in this case there's a power aspect, where the older person is in a position of authority over the younger person. That's a whole different set of issues than simply attraction.

Personally, I've always though Woody Allen was creepy.

This. FTR, I always thought Mia's attraction to older men (Andre Previn & Frank Sinatra) indicative of some problems on her part & was creepy too.

taf2002

No I'm not, I specifically mentioned that in my brief paragraph you quoted and in other posts in the thread.

It's just a gray area for me how much that power imbalance should lead us to judge their relationship, and how much we should respect her right to nonetheless willingly participate in the relationship, given that she was of legal age.

Children don't "willingly participate". RFOS, your posts seem to trying to find excuses for WA. A step-dad who sleeps with mom & then seduces daughter is a amoral creep in my book. Actual Lolitas are extremely rare but if you want to believe that she seduced him or that he woke up one day when she became legally an adult & said "mmm I want to get some of that" then no one can convince you otherwise.

VGThuy

I don't know what to believe. I read a portion of the 1993 or 1994 Mia Farrow/Woody Allen custody battle decision where Mia first accused Woody Allen of sexually assaulting Dylan. At the time, it seemed to come out of left-field and I always wondered if Mia Farrow knew about this before she found out about Soon-Yi and Woody Allen. One of the more interesting things in that decision was the way the judge intelligently explained that Allen has no idea what harm his actions caused on his children. In his head, since he never served as a father-figure for Soon-Yi and never lived with Mia Farrow and only had a real relationship with the children he shared with Farrow, then the kids would have been OK with his relationship with Soon-Yi. However, the judge said that obviously, the kids saw Soon-Yi as a sister and Allen as their father, and they did not distinguish Allen's relationship with them with his relationship with Farrow's other children as they consider themselves all to be siblings. And that's true to this very day going by Ronan Farrow's Twitter.

I will say that as a huge fan of his films, I cannot bring myself to watch his movies anymore until I read a really good defense that convinces me that Dylan made up this story. I read that DailyBeast article expecting a real argument as to why Allen is innocent, but that article was absolutely nothing.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If they started when she was 16, it would have been difficult, though not impossible, for them to have an affair for three years without anyone noticing something suspicious, especially since, when it would have started, she was living with her mother and a large number of siblings.

They lived in one apartment, Allen lived in another on the opposite side of Central Park - and IIRC according to Mia he was very cagey about not letting her or the kids come to his apartment because it was where he worked, and he didn't want to be disturbed without notice. With that many kids of various ages having to be taken to school and to their various activities - and some of those kids having special needs that would have required even more attention - I think it's very plausible that Allen and Soon-Yi could have had an affair without anyone noticing.

D

Deleted member 19433

I was referring to the attraction that started when she was a minor. They "came out" when she was 19. Do you think she had a birthday & a light bulb went off in his head? As for her being willing, see post below:

I have no idea when he started being attracted to her but I haven't heard any evidence that he/they actually started a relationship until she was over 18. That said, it wouldn't shock me if he/they did.

(I can't bring myself to either just say "he" or just say "they" because of the ambiguity of the situation, where she was a legal adult but he much older and in a position of power given the family dynamic).

VGThuy

Children don't "willingly participate". RFOS, your posts seem to trying to find excuses for WA. A step-dad who sleeps with mom & then seduces daughter is a amoral creep in my book. Actual Lolitas are extremely rare but if you want to believe that she seduced him or that he woke up one day when she became legally an adult & said "mmm I want to get some of that" then no one can convince you otherwise.

Not a Lolita, but I remember reading that Mia Farrow thinks that Soon-Yi probably went after him as well. She said something about Soon-Yi's learned survival skills when she was an orphan in Korea and wanting the position Farrow once had. I never knew what to think about that comment.

The thing I always found fascinating about Woody Allen films (at least during his time with Mia Farrow and prior) is that a lot of the themes seriously reflect his life in some way. We see how his portrayal of Mia Farrow's character evolves from doe-eyed, sweet, caring, nurturing do-gooder to stifling perfection that other people have trouble living up to or passive-aggressively sweet in order to get what she wants. The interesting thing is that Allen never shied away from portraying his characters as somewhat of hypochondriac creep and his movies are very critical of that. It's like he recognizes the bad behavior or his weird views on women and yet continues to falls for those patterns. I remember in Hannah and her Sisters, where Michael Caine's character (who was married to Mia Farrow's character) is in love with Barbara Hershey (college-aged and sister of Mia Farrow's character and who has an attraction to older men) and they follow-through on that attraction only to have it fizzle out (and she ends up with a man much closer to her age) and in Husbands and Wives (the movie was being filmed when Mia found out about Soon-Yi) with Juliette Lewis' character wondering what she was doing with the "midlife crisis set" and ends up being with a guy who's in her age-range.

I'm not saying whether those things are good or bad, but it's very interesting to observe.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
I will say that as a huge fan of his films, I cannot bring myself to watch his movies anymore until I read a really good defense that convinces me that Dylan made up this story. I read that DailyBeast article expecting a real argument as to why Allen is innocent, but that article was absolutely nothing.
I think a more plausible defense would be that she is not making anything up, but that her memories are inaccurate; it wouldn't be unprecedented (ETA: here's a relevant article from the APA website).

And of course, I'm not suggesting that this is indeed the case.

VGThuy

I think a more plausible defense would be that she is not making anything up, but that her memories are inaccurate; it wouldn't be unprecedented.

And of course, I'm not suggesting that this is indeed the case.

Thank you, that's what I meant. Saying she "made them up" sounds a lot more accusatory than I meant to be towards Dylan Farrow. I have no doubt that she believes what she says.

D

Deleted member 19433

****ing A, I never said or remotely implied that she seduced him and am not making excuses for him. I think he seems very creepy and immoral and have mentioned so several times. But I'm reminded of a story a friend told me about a relationship she had as a 17 year old with a 20something man. Many people were telling her that she was taken advantage of, but she felt differently and thought that people telling her disrespected her agency in the situation, and she looks back on the relationship fondly and doesn't feel she was taken advantage of.

I *DO* think there's something inappropriate for a man to be willing to pursue a relationship with someone so young, even if it's technically legal, and would never do so myself. Heck, as I've stated in this and other threads, I've never been in a relationship at all. But yes, God forbid, sometimes I find young women and late teenage girls attractive (it's not like there's a sudden physical change at 18, as you yourself have brought up). I wouldn't condone such a relationship but I wouldn't completely ignore the stated feelings of the woman or younger partner either. One of my sisters had a 25 year old boyfriend at 18 and the other is currently 24 and in a relationship with a 40+ year old man, and feeling happier than I've ever seen her with her life. Her boyfriend seems like a REALLY great guy from the one time I met him. Am I supposed to just assume that they are being taken advantage of and aren't really willing or happy? (I know the Woody Allen / Soon Yi case is an even more extreme age and power gap, and therefore do find it creepier, but I just don't see it as COMPLETELY black and white).

purple skates

Shadow Dancing

OK. Take it out of the Woody Allen context. What about a 50 year old executive and his 22 year old secretary? An 45 year old elected official and his 21 year old intern? A 35 year old college professor and her 19 year old student? All well within the age of consent, but all also well within the realm of sexual harassment which is wrong, eys? Would you make the same argument in these cases (age of consent) as you are in the Allen case?

Look, I personally am fine with May/September relationships between consenting adults. Where I have issues is where there's someone in a power position when the relationship starts.

Reactions: mag
D

Deleted member 19433

OK. Take it out of the Woody Allen context. What about a 50 year old executive and his 22 year old secretary? An 45 year old elected official and his 21 year old intern? A 35 year old college professor and her 19 year old student? All well within the age of consent, but all also well within the realm of sexual harassment which is wrong, eys? Would you make the same argument in these cases (age of consent) as you are in the Allen case?

Look, I personally am fine with May/September relationships between consenting adults. Where I have issues is where there's someone in a power position when the relationship starts.

I would most certainly have an ethical issue with the behavior of the adult in a position of power in any of those scenarios and I don't have a problem with rules or even laws against such relationships. I lean toward the idea that it would be a good idea (Ilinykh and Morozov's relationship absolutely grosses me out, but I have seen people defend their relationship on here, which seemed to begin when she was 17 and he was in his 30s *and* her coach). However, I also wouldn't assume that the younger person didn't legitimately want to be in the relationship either. I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. (Just because the older person is unethical doesn't mean the younger person might not nonetheless want to be in the relationship, even if that want might be tainted by the power dynamic). As I said in my most recent post, I would NOT condone the behavior of the older person in the position of power, but wouldn't view the younger person as being completely and utterly helpless and obviously brainwashed either.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The interesting thing is that Allen never shied away from portraying his characters as somewhat of hypochondriac creep and his movies are very critical of that. It's like he recognizes the bad behavior or his weird views on women and yet continues to falls for those patterns.

I agree about his character(s), but I don't agree at all about the perspective. The fact that he keeps making movies over and over with himself as the creepy older guy and a much younger actress cast as his girlfriend or wife - with no plausible explanation in the storyline as to *why* the younger women are attracted to him - is the exact opposite of critical IMHO.

At least recently, he finally figured out that putting himself in the lead role was *really* pushing the boundaries of credibility - but now he just casts younger male actors who have to dress and talk like he would if he were playing the part.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
As I said in my most recent post, I would NOT condone the behavior of the older person in the position of power, but wouldn't view the younger person as being completely and utterly helpless and obviously brainwashed either.

The younger person might think they know what they are getting into and that they can handle it, even with the power imbalance, but they often don't have enough life experience to make an accurate judgement.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
However, I also wouldn't assume that the younger person didn't legitimately want to be in the relationship either. I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. (Just because the older person is unethical doesn't mean the younger person might not nonetheless want to be in the relationship, even if that want might be tainted by the power dynamic).

True, but I think the power aspect, especially in a familial situation, really squicks people out. Especially since quite often, the younger person is being pressured/brainwashed/call it what you will in these situations. I don't have any stats, but I would hazard to guess that for every power position relationship where the person not in power is the instigator, there's three or four where that person is, for lack of a better word, the victim.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19433

The younger person might think they know what they are getting into and that they can handle it, even with the power imbalance, but they often don't have enough life experience to make an accurate judgement.

That's very true. And once again, there are gray areas there, but the age of consent gives a hard dividing line when it comes to sexual activity (as well as some regulations relating to people in power relationships that exist in at least some places -- I'm not a big expert on those). It's not a perfect solution since life isn't black and white (where in one state you can have sex on your 16th birthday but in another you can't), but I do support age of consent laws in general and can't think of a better solution. A "squicky" relationship that might be illegal one place might be legal somewhere else. Woody and Soon-Yi's is definitely "squicky" and maybe even SHOULD have been illegal, but I haven't seen evidence that it was. That's not to say he isn't creepy and immoral and likely didn't molest Dylan (as I also said in an earlier post, I think it's much more likely that he did so than that she is lying. But would I convict him based on the evidence I have in a court of law? Probably not, because I don't feel absolutely certain based on what I've read, enough to put someone in jail, even a pretty creepy-seeming person).

Karina1974

RFOS said:
Many people were telling her that she was taken advantage of, but she felt differently and thought that people telling her disrespected her agency in the situation, and she looks back on the relationship fondly and doesn't feel she was taken advantage of.

I had to do a lot of defense work on behalf of the guy I was involved with, because when I would talk about him to people, I was always getting cautionary responses back, and these were people who never met the man. I had to learn for myself what a fake, phony asshole he was. At this point, when I look back on it, it's with mixed feelings - sometimes I can recognize that I did become a stronger person for having gone through this, and other times I want to fecking kill the bastard ... and we still have not had a face-to-face conversation *ahem* confrontation about his conduct - but I definitely feel that I was lied to and taken advantage of. There were so many times when he lied when being truthful would have been the better move.

Last edited:

leesaleesa

Men are attracted to women of all ages, and that's fine, as long as it isn't acted on inappropriately, and the girl is of age. You can't control thinking a young woman is attractive, but you can keep it to yourself. A relationship between a middle aged man and his 19 yo stepdaughter is disgusting. No, I do not give him the benefit of the doubt. He was an experienced middle aged man who took advantage of an inexperienced young woman. Healthy middle aged men do NOT act upon the urge to take up an adult relationship with a teen. Like Karina said, it's all about power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information