1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

Death by Bugs...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Oct 9, 2012.

  1. Buzz

    Buzz Well-Known Member

    All that just to win a pet snake?! :wideeyes:
  2. nubka

    nubka Well-Known Member

    A few years ago (here in Utah,) a mom died from drinking too much water in a contest. She was trying to win her kinds a Wii. :(
  3. moojja

    moojja Active Member

    From reading the article, we don't know if it is the bugs that killed him. Since those bugs were raised to be lizard food, I doubt it is the bugs. We'll know more when the autopsy comes out.
  4. nubka

    nubka Well-Known Member

    Whatever it was, it seemed to hit him quickly. :(
  5. Stormy

    Stormy Well-Known Member

    Darwinism at it's finest.
  6. Southpaw

    Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

    Does the runner-up get the python now?
  7. TheGirlCanSkate

    TheGirlCanSkate Well-Known Member

    I'm not into autopsies in general, but that one - I'd want trauma pay!:(
  8. Zemgirl

    Zemgirl Well-Known Member

    I had much the same reaction. I'm not sure I could eat a cockroach if someone's life depended on it, let alone to win a snake.

    I noticed a discussion in the article comments as to whether this is the sort of case a medical examiner would welcome or not. :yikes:
  9. aliceanne

    aliceanne Well-Known Member

    That one surprises me. I thought with all the interest in marathons and running people were aware of water poisoning. Too much water and not enough sodium upsets the electrolyte balance and causes heart arrhythmia.
  10. Anita18

    Anita18 Well-Known Member

    I'm sure they've actually seen worse...:eek:

    I don't know, it's still not really common knowledge, IMO. Cause you're supposed to drink lots of water daily, right? Many people may just assume that more can't be unhealthy...
  11. Scintillation

    Scintillation New Member

    Oh god, I want to barf reading that story.

    I really enjoyed the quote though: "Some of the snakes are pretty expensive. I thought if I could eat bugs to get one, it'd be a good idea." No. It is not a good idea. Go home.
  12. cruisin

    cruisin Banned Member

    The disease organisms/cockroach defecation doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't that take time? He died too quickly for me to believe it was the bugs. Unless they were still alive and somehow moved into an area that could cause him to stop breathing, or something like that. Don't know if that's possible, thug.

    Part of that contest was that they had to drink XX amount of water within a certain amount of time and they were not allowed to urinate. Just plain stupid!
  13. skatesindreams

    skatesindreams Well-Known Member

    There are consequences for extreme stupidity.
    What is the liability for whoever thought of this?
  14. BigB08822

    BigB08822 Well-Known Member

    Supposedly the contestants all signed a waiver so I would think and hope that they are not liable. No one was forced to participate.

    I also don't think it could be any kind of poisoning. If it was something so severe to kill him so fast then surely other people would have at least gotten ill or died as well. I am almost tempted to think it was something coincidental like a heart attack or brain aneurism. Maybe the excitement from the contest got his blood pressure too high and it was the straw that broke the camels back?
  15. orbitz

    orbitz Well-Known Member

    All the contestants signed a waiver ... but of course no one though one could die from eating cockroaches.

    I wouldn't necessarily call the contestants in this competition stupid. It wasn't like they picked up random roaches from people's apartments and ate them. They participated in an eating competition, and the roaches were supposedly raised in a clean environment as pet food (although all roaches are disgusting to me, regardless of where they were raised). The other contestants that ate the roaches didn't die.

    I remember reading somewhere that the TV show "Fear Factor" is coming back to TV. The producers should think twice about having contestants eat disgusting things on the show.
  16. UGG

    UGG Well-Known Member

    I am totally not reading this article.
  17. Cyn

    Cyn Well-Known Member

    While I'm not a medical examiner or a doctor, what comes to mind as to what caused this guy's death would be something akin to either an allergic reaction of some sort (people can be allergic to roaches just like they can to other insects, fish, shellfish, and other animals) and died of anaphylaxis, or from aspirating vomit and dry-drowning.
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Stormy

    Stormy Well-Known Member


    Um, don't the contestants know what they're signing up for being on Fear Factor? If you're brave/stupid enough to be on FF, you get what you get.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. orbitz

    orbitz Well-Known Member

    I don't know about you, but if I was responsible for a show I certainly wouldn't want anyone to die on my watch, even if accidentally.
  20. MacMadame

    MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

    I think it's premature to call for an end to all "eat disgusting things" contests when we don't even know what this guy died of.
  21. nubka

    nubka Well-Known Member

  22. BYTCH

    BYTCH Celebrating Prancer's Specialness

    There are lots of TV producers who would LOVE to have someone die on their watch--it would make great ratings.
  23. Anita18

    Anita18 Well-Known Member

    Until they get sued. :p
  24. milanessa

    milanessa engaged to dupa

    Long time ago there was a show on British TV (ITV?) where people sent in their names to do a daredevil stunt. A name was picked each week and a wheel spun to come up with a stunt which they had a choice of agreeing to or not. They were given a weeks worth of expert training and then the attempt was live. One week it was a long bungee jump from a huge crane in a parking lot. The ropes/clasps/something failed. The show was canceled immediately although it was quite popular.
  25. Japanfan

    Japanfan Well-Known Member

    I'm sorry, but anyone stupid enough to enter a contest like this has to suffer the consequences. I agree it's probably an allergy, but smart contestants should test that out before they participate by eating small amounts of the various insects involved. Why anyone would do that, however, bewilders me.

    :eek: Guess he wasn't feeding his pigs properly and they were really hungry.
  26. Zemgirl

    Zemgirl Well-Known Member

    Some allergies have been linked to trace amounts of insect parts in food, so I guess an even greater quantity of bugs consumed would have a more severe effect for someone who's allergic.

    For some reason I keep reading the thread title as death by Bugs (Bunny).