1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Davis and White #36: What a Wonderful World

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Barbara Manatee, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Barbara Manatee

Barbara Manatee Well-Known Member

They aren't going on Today just for an announcement though, are they? I've been assuming they're going to skate.

I'm not so sure. Charlie is feeling very strongly, and they've already got a gold medal. Besides, his tweets would likely be popular with all but the Russian judges. :blocjudge

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

I think they have made a Today show appearance pretty much every year for the last few years to skate. It seems like a standard thing. The AOL build thing has a clue- discuss the upcoming "Stars on Ice" tour. This suggests that the focus is SOI. It could be a standard Q&A type thing. They just did one for the Skating Gymnastics thing.

VIETgrlTerifa likes this.
  3. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

skatfan likes this.
  4. justtojoke

justtojoke Well-Known Member

I wish NBC would schedule Charlie and Tanith to do ice dance commentary together. Give us a new duo please NBC! Imagine the insight they could give not to mention the good chemistry they would have on air:swoon:.

5. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

6. mollymgr

Reasons to come back to compete not in any particular order.

1) The cereal expired and they used up all the tissues
    2) Finn wants to be Team USA mascot, DJ has been giving him a hard time
    3) They want to relive that feeling of wanting to run away right before taking the ice
    4) Charlie wants more followers after losing a few lately
    5) They don't have enough frequent flyer miles
    6) They need more Ralph Lauren to add to their ugly Christmas sweater collection
    7) Charlie misses bleaching his hair
    8) This is their only way to enjoy Pure Michigan as they get to stay home and train for months instead of days
    9) Marina has too much free time and needs the cash
    10) They just can't take another "Are you coming back?" question

To be clear, I am just kidding.:biggrinbo

7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl:

8. Barbara Manatee

Annnd Charlie just liked a boatload of Ralph Lauren photos from fashion week. :eek: :p Are you psychic?

Ha! Some chick on tinder swiped one of Meryl's vacation photos and Meryl's roasting her on twitter. Our babies have gotten so feisty! :encore:

skatfan, applelady, mollymgr and 3 others like this.
  9. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Listening to Charlie on NBCSN's coverage of last night's SD. He is really growing as a commentator and at least today, is subscribing to the "less is more" school. I love the little tidbits he throws out. And after today there can be very little doubt that Meryl and Charlie are retired from competition.

skatfan likes this.
  10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to watch it since I'm at work. What did he say?

11. Barbara Manatee

You know when you listen to Tara and Johnny and they get a little petty and you can sense they miss their glory days and the spotlight? Charlie never sounds wistful or needy like that. At one point Andrea said it felt weird to be sitting next to him instead of watching him skate and asked if he felt the same. Charlie answered 'Nah, I'm good.'

He and Andrea were a surprisingly good team. Charlie brings in his own experiences without making it all about him. Now if he could only stop saying 'these guys' :slinkaway.

skatfan and Scrufflet like this.
  12. LilJen

LilJen Reaching out with my hand sensitively

Okay, we need to have a Skater Hair Hall of Fame poll after the season is over. I'm happy to nominate John Kerr as our first candidate. Might have to have separate male and female categories. . .

suki likes this.
  13. justtojoke

justtojoke Well-Known Member

Sochi Anniversary today:encore::cheer2:!!!!!!

pinkmary, semogal, Firedancer and 3 others like this.
  14. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

ESPN article: Olympic ice dancer Charlie White isn't staying quiet anymore

15. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Well-Known Member

I was just coming in here to post this. Very interesting interview, in which Charlie admits that previous interviews were canned answers and that maybe he used to play it too safe. He also comes across as so articulate and thoughtful and full of integrity--not wanting to insult anyone on twitter, knowing that would be unproductive, etc.

Scrufflet likes this.
  16. Barbara Manatee

How appropriate that article came out today - standing up when it matters is what champions do. You go, Charlie!

Isn't it wonderful to see how successful and fulfilled Meryl and Charlie are 3 years later? I do believe that Olympic gold is going to be only one of many accomplishments.

A nice little tribute to their win from the Olympic twitter.

17. DreamsofBliss

DreamsofBliss Active Member

Here's a number from the Skating and Gymnastics show that airs tomorrow. As usual for these shows , repurposed choreography ;)

Barbara Manatee likes this.
  18. semogal

Do you suppose if we ask very nicely that Charlie and Meryl would add some twizzles to one of their routines? They do a lot of the lifts and highlight moves from their competitive programs but I miss the twizzles!

19. caitie

caitie Well-Known Member

I think the only team I can remember doing synchronized twizzles in their show program are the Shibutanis and it was the show version of their competitive program, I don't think they've added them to their show pieces just yet. I think they are so popular with audiences though because they are a really accessible element, so I wish more teams would incorporate them, especially teams like Shibs and DW and HD and CL whose twizzles are the class of the field.

20. mollymgr

My D/W trivia is getting rusty but they did have twizzles in their Billie Jean program.
    https://youtu.be/hNITSrj6RiQ?t=2m16s
    I would like to see them in their new programs too. Aesthetically, they are the riskiest element because if they are not perfect it ruins the program.

caitie likes this.
  21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I loved the twizzles in Billie Jean! :)

22. Barbara Manatee

We need to come up with an argument that twizzling is fundamental to the democratic process and Charlie will go all in.

caitie, DORISPULASKI and semogal like this.
  23. semogal

lmarie086, Debbie S and DORISPULASKI like this.
  24. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't know about that! There's so much I don't understand about dyslexia, like that it can affect your depth perception, according to that video.

I just watched Meryl's TED Talk about her dyslexia. She says the struggles she had (has) with skating are that it takes her a long time to pick up the choreography, and that Charlie always helped her by going over each step with her, repeatedly. She also says it gave her doubts about how she would do on Dancing With the Stars. I'm sure someone already posted this somewhere in the thread, but here's the TED Talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsY3LWgsaUo

25. Barbara Manatee

Meryl and Charlie reprise Scheherazade at The Legends/SOI Japan. You can tell it's been three years. Guess which element they took out? :p

Meryl has started a GoFundMe campaign for Figure Skating in Detroit.

kittyjake5 and mollymgr like this.
  26. mollymgr

It is great that Charlie found his costume. It was starting to look like Scheherazade had to do some extensive time travel to meet up with the shirt and pants wearing 2015 Sultan to tell him her life-saving 1001 night tales. (e.g. the one they did at the World Championships at Shanghai):lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkP_7XGZwi8

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017 at 10:14 PM
  27. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

Feb. 18th Cleveland appearance: https://www.facebook.com/merylandch...080081184249/1800410636651177/?type=3&theater

Posing with Carol Heiss Jenkins: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQq_JjQj9IK/
    Clip 1 (checking out the puddles beforehand!): https://www.instagram.com/p/BQqUKczD3yu/
    Clip 2 ("Sax"): https://www.instagram.com/p/BQqgRkcDbSL/

Full video (fan cam) of "Sax" is embedded at the end of this article (plus 6 photos): http://fox8.com/2017/02/18/olympic-champs-charlie-white-and-meryl-davis-take-public-square/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    kittyjake5 and mollymgr like this.
  28. mollymgr

D/W are launching a new site?:shuffle:

kittyjake5 likes this.
  29. Barbara Manatee

It's really nice! So lets begin round #456 of 'does this mean they are coming back or that they aren't?' I dunno, but it does make me think they are announcing something on Today tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017 at 9:04 PM
    Spun Silver and skatesindreams like this.
  30. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

The announcement is probably the new website. :lol:

mollymgr likes this.