1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dangers of Trump & his Cabinet - cont'd

Discussion in 'Politically Incorrect' started by aftershocks, Jan 11, 2017.

1. BittyBug

BittyBug Awakening to an Orwellian Nightmare

This was after we had invaded Iraq and we were rebuilding. I don't think they were under U.S. terrorism sanctions at the time.

2. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Past Prancer's Corridor

Because none of those articles were written by Trump.

3. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

:rofl:

4. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

:lol: I make a lousy Trump.

I'm proud of that...

BYTCH, barbarafan and Marge_Simpson like this.
  5. BittyBug

Markey - Can you provide any assurances that the Trump State Department will honor the Obama administration's commitments on climate change?

Tillerson - If confirmed, there will be an opportunity to conduct a review of our policies on climate change. But I also know that the Trump administration's commitment was to America first, so it will be important to review whether there are any elements of those agreements that put America at a disadvantage.

6. BittyBug

Markey now shifting to Trump's statements about nuclear weapons and cites Nunn's disagreement with those statements. Do you disagree that it would be a bad thing if countries like Saudi Arabia, South Korea, etc. have nuclear weapons?

Time is cut off.

7. ballettmaus

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...r-secretary-state-nominee-tillerson/96359776/

The article claims that it was legal because it was going through foreign companies and because no US employees were involved, still, I don't trust anything that comes from that side especially not where legalities are concerned. If Exxon was involved, how can US employees not have been involved? I doubt that any company based in Europe would have done business without the OK from the very top. Sounds fishy at best.

8. BittyBug

Rand Paul now up and asking whether Tillerson believes that invading Iraq was a mistake.

Tillerson says that decision was upon reflection did not achieve the intended objectives. National security has not been enhanced.

9. skatingfan5

To be a lousy Trump is a good thing and something of which to be proud. If I had to guess, I'd bet you would make the worst Trump that ever existed! :respec:

10. ballettmaus

BlueRidge for President :D

barbarafan likes this.
  11. BittyBug

@balletmaus - to your point, Senator Merkley is now questioning Tillerson about ExxonMobil having set up a European subsidiary to deliberately bypass sanctions. Asks how Tillerson would react if a CEO of another multi-national did something similar while he was SOS. Further asks whether upon reflection Tillerson sees anything wrong with ExxonMobil's actions. Tillerson has the chuztpah to say he doesn't remember the circumstances. :lol:

DORISPULASKI and barbarafan like this.
  12. BittyBug

Merkley now basically calling Tillerson a liar due to his prior denial that ExxonMobil engaged in any lobbying against sanctions. Tillerson continues to deny that, despite Merkley reading from public information listing ExxonMobil lobbying activities. Tillerson claims White House meetings were simply related to ongoing compliance activities.

barbarafan likes this.
  13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

14. skatingfan5

Just read Politico's summary of the Tillerson hearing and apparently he would not say if he would support a registry of Muslim Americans, saying he would need to see what the details were and how it would be carried out. Not sure what could make such a thing at all acceptable. :scream:

15. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Cross-posting my comments from the Post Election Issues thread:

I've heard that New Zealand is actively recruiting Americans who were considering emigrating to Canada. New Zealand has less restrictive immigration requirements than most major countries.

Honestly, there are many American seniors (some who are still working) who are concerned about what to do (whether to take early retirement). Whether to move to a different state where Medicaid and Medicare expansion exists; whether to move to another country where their retirement money might give better returns, and where they might receive better healthcare options.

Everything is fairly scary and uncertain right now.

Even Repub legislators are scrambling with uncertainty over not wanting to face voter backlash if they repeal Obamacare and have no solid, effective replacement program in place:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ml?tid=pm_politics_pop&utm_term=.06cb422c651b

What they are dealing with is a thin-skinned tweet addict as President. There's no way to predict what's going to happen. But the prospect seems like more suffering for a lot of people. Trump is not focused on actually caring about and successfully tackling the real problems of real people.

Marge_Simpson likes this.
  16. BittyBug

I was not able to listen to the entire proceedings today and missed this. I think overall Tillerson was somewhat evasive on many questions. I can appreciate the precision of his thought and wanting to have full details before making a definitive conclusion, but on some topics I think one should be able to commit conceptually with a caveat that it would be subject to the details. This and his recusal from anything to do with ExxonMobil are two such issues and on both he punted.

He does seem to have a very unflappable and even temperament, which is a good quality in a SOS, but there were just too many sketchy, weasely responses.

17. ballettmaus

The President of the National Press Club has made a statement regarding Trump's constant use of "fake news" and is warning of its danger. http://www.press.org/news-multimedi...out-trumps-use-fake-news#.WHbSXGxejn4.twitter

Can I just ask under which rock the President of the Press Club has been hiding for the past year? And does he really think that what he says makes a difference and that anything will change? Trump has been treating the press like that for months and I think we're long past the point of reasoning with anyone being a part of the Trump Team.
    I think what he should do is address the journalists and make sure that no one is going to take and accept his bullying and that no one is normalizing Trump, that reporters stop the "double standard reporting" and hold Trump accountable for everything he does that he shouldn't do and that all journalists stand up against Trump united.

On a different subject - they had an interview with a risk scientist on the radio today. The guy does research and studies in regards to what we are afraid of and what he said makes obvious how much the Russia-supported propaganda had the potential to influence people. He said that the higher the insecurity, the bigger the fear. Russia made people insecure about the democratic system, they started to be afraid, Trump have them security.
    Not that I doubt it but I bet that if you did a psychological analysis that you'd find that Russia knew full well what it was doing and that there was no way that it wouldn't have an effect.

The guy also mentioned that there, where you have the fewest migrants, you have the highest fear of them. He only touched on it but he said that this is because there's a huge unknown in the equation, so a lot of insecurity and that there, where you have a bunny rabbit seller named Mohammed, there's hardly any fear because people know the person who is the foreigner.

18. barbarafan

barbarafan Well-Known Member

Not a chance....Trump is all yours....I think a wall might be safer..But with that monster's finger near the button nothing is safe. Trudeau chose 3 new female ministers who are real hardballers to prepare for Trump. One of them is really disliked by Russia.

Buzz likes this.
  19. barbarafan

He did and when the reporter from CNN persisted Trump told him he was being rude.

20. barbarafan

The only acceptable answer to that question is "NO"

21. dr.frog

dr.frog Well-Known Member

Here's a statement by the director of the Office of Government Ethics about the inadequacy of Trump's announced "blind" (not!) trust.

https://www.oge.gov/web/OGE.nsf/0/DCC328BD6DB515CC852580A50079449D/$FILE/Remarks of W M Shaub Jr.pdf

What he says about Tillerson's ethics agreement has been reported elsewhere already -- he complied promptly with the OGE review, and IIRC the only exceptional thing about his divestment agreement is that Exxon is allowing him to cash out a big pile of unvested stock grants early.

Also Shaub's comments about the purpose of the OGE are absolutely right, too. Their purpose is to prevent people in the government from being in violation of the law.

22. ballettmaus

23. aftershocks

All of this is so tiring and headache-inducing. So much shidazzle (distraction), real news battling for relevancy against actual fake news, and irresponsible 'fake news' fingerpointing by Trump and crew! :wall: Trump is a shyster, a scurrilous salesman, and a bully. The fact that he's now President-Elect of the U.S. does NOT change the character of the person he actually IS, and it never will for those of you clapping for him mindlessly or covering your eyes and crossing your fingers! The fact that Trump is even President-Elect is an absolute farcical slap in the face. There are those who will go along to get along, including many journalists under the pretext of being 'fair and balanced.' Why can't anyone in the media see and understand that 'fair and balanced' has been missing for a long time when it comes to Trump and this entire campaign and election? Remember the network news official who claimed that airing Trump's rallies during the campaign was good for ratings? The media share in the blame for this circus Presidency that threatens the American people, and indeed the entire world.

There are also those Repubs cautiously feeling victorious about being in so-called 'power,' but at the same time many of them are scrambling to figure out ways to cover their own asses for probable coming shit storm. Practically none of the Repubs have a courageous bone in their bodies or they would have stopped the Trump circus in its tracks long, long ago. Donald Trump is unfit to be President of the U.S., and no amount of 'normalizing' attempts, sashaying, spinning, or sudden 'Who Us?' holier-than-thou anger from Trump's enablers and Hypocrite Liars Club will change this essential fact that is the f***ing Elephant in the Room! Make that 'Elephant in the Oval Office!' :duh:

I saw the opening of Trump's pretentious excuse for a press conference. :blah: :yikes: Geesh, did the press corps find their way to the rest rooms afterward to barf?! FFS! As @allezfred cheekily mentioned earlier, referencing Whoopi Goldberg's line from Ghost: "America, you in danger girl." Right, but so is the rest of the world. As the Buzzfeed article commenter said, "... we are the auxillary participants in one of the shitty seasons of 24. We are living out the actual plot of The Manchurian Candidate." :scream:

Yep, I too just wish I could forget and enjoy life while I can. I'm hoping to zone out for awhile and try to enjoy the upcoming U.S. and Canadian Figure Skating National Championships and Europeans too. And I am trying to remain hopeful that justice and decency will overcome this current disastrous state of affairs that America faces. Yes, if Hillary was the President-Elect, the Repubs as usual would be creating obstacles, gearing up for heedless taxpayer money wasting investigations, and otherwise scraping the bottom of the barrel to throw truly fake aspersions at the Clintons, their favorite targets. Whoever is without sin, cast the first stone! :duh:

At the least Hillary Clinton is competent, knowlegeable and she actually cares about helping people. Plus, I believe she has the capacity to be open for growth and change in her outlook as a leader. And, at least we would have had inhabiting the White House, two people with vast governing experience. Bill Clinton left the country in decent shape with a surplus when he exited office in 2001. And Hillary actually had put together plans for solving America's problems, not creating new ones a la Donald Trump. Moreover, there would have been much cause for celebration for the historic milestone of inaugurating the first woman President of the U.S. That not being the case is a black mark on the American people who did not vote, or who voted for alternative candidates who had no chance of winning. But the biggest black mark is on those idiots who voted for Trump for spurious reasons (I am acquainted with a few of such people -- they definitely are not all poor, ignorant racist whites either, GAH!!!).

Anyways, here's PBS Newshour's as usual, "very professional, aiming for non-partisan journalistic" take on Trump's pretentious, lying excuse for a press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gccditEQrfo
    Fairly well handled by PBS and guests, but still, I have to ask why journalists seem to be carrying on as if this is business as usual?

Kellyanne Conway deserves an award for being the most outrageous shit-faced, bold-faced dissembler of all time! She's a master of deception and the Queen of Flutzing Around to Avoid Answering Questions. Chris Cuomo tries mightily to get Conway to focus on answering one simple question instead of throwing everything at him but the kitchen sink:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM6c_6_Hhjw

What BS about getting Mexico to pay for a wall "after the fact." How is that going to happen?! What are they planning to do to Mexico to force them to pay for a wall, especially when a wall is NOT needed in the first place?! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 6:49 AM
  24. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Y'all realize the dossier is fake, right? That it was a product commissioned by his opposition (at least one report directly connects it to the Clinton campaign) about six months ago. It was floated to all the media establishments, and without exception they found the story baseless. NBC went directly to a high taking intelligence official who told them it was bunk.

Trump was never briefed on it contra claims by CNN, and the IC never cited it as an example of possible blackmail against Trump. Indeed, the only place it did appear was as an addendum to a briefing as an example of disinformation--not to be confused with actual intelligence. But Trump was never shown it because he took his briefing at Trump Tower, and there's no provisions for storing hard copies of classified briefings, so apparently he was given only an oral report where it wasn't discussed.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcn...alleged-russia-dealings-n705586?client=safari

Anyhow, this makes Trump opponents and portions of the media look incredibly shtoopid.
    Trump will make enough missteps that stuff like this doesn't have to be fabricated.

Fan123 likes this.
  25. WanderlustTO

WanderlustTO Well-Known Member

I tried to watch/listen to the Tillerson proceeding at work. He's a complete disaster. Hopefully the spine little Marco showed is a permanent one and he tries to kill the nomination.

26. dr.frog

dr.frog Well-Known Member

The NY Times has a more detailed story on where the report came from.

https://nyti.ms/2jxhK4b

I can see why so many people have thought that the information in the memos might be true: they're the work of the MI6's former "top expert on Russia" who has since started a private intelligence business and been involved in things like investigating the FIFA bribery scandal. He believed that the information was potentially important enough that he turned it over to MI6 and continued working on it even after the election, when nobody was paying him any more. So it's a case where a well-known and highly-respected person in the international intelligence community has essentially staked his professional reputation on this investigation. And maybe more than that -- I've seen other stories in the UK news media reporting that he's gone into hiding after being identified because he fears for his life.

barbarafan and DORISPULASKI like this.
  27. ballettmaus

Well, the article does not say that the contents of the memo has been proven to be false. It does not say the opposite either, so I'd say it's still unsubstantiated allegations.
    But that aside, what I would like to know is why no one wanted to write about merely the existence of memos which could be used for blackmail simply because the contents could not be verified while the same news outlets had absolutely no inhibitions about jumping at the story that there were emails on someone's phone that no one had yet seen, that the FBI had no warrant to and no one knew what was in them and linking them to Clinton without verification. They also didn't think twice before reporting on and publishing contents of illegally obtained emails which they had not vetted as being legitimate.
    It would have been nice if Clinton, a long-time public servant who has spent her life to do good and make a difference, had been given the same curtesy as the fear-mongering liar and bully who has spent his life cheating others out of money so he could get richer.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    BYTCH, skategal, barbarafan and 3 others like this.
  28. aftershocks

Exactly! :respec:

'Emails' simply became a MacGuffin, and the codeword for faux Clinton misdoing. It's just amazing gall and so shameless that Kellyanne Conway and Trump are acting all put out about 'leaks' and 'hacking' when it's against Trump, but it was just alright when such maneuvers went against Hillary. It truly takes the cake that Conway is making the excuse that our government is simply behind the times regarding cyber security measures. Ya don't say, Kellyanne. Well, dearie, the same goes for our government being behind the times on departmental government agency IT policies and procedures, which is why strict guidelines were not in place when Hillary became Secretary of State. There was nothing underhanded about Hillary using a server at home. Yes, it was a mistake, but certainly nothing that deserved demonizing her throughout the campaign. She'd been out of office for four years and during that time if 'emails' were such a serious problem, why was it never brought up? Because the Repubs were waiting to pounce with it when Hillary announced another run for the Presidency.

ballettmaus and barbarafan like this.
  29. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Unsubstantiated is different from false. The CIA found them credible enough to brief Obama and Trump on them.
    Trump has been linked to Russia many times since before the election, and he could do a number of things to clear up those rumors. He could stop praising Putin. He could stop believing Putin and his propaganda machine over our own intelligence. He could release his tax returns and comply with the ethical requirements of the presidency. Yet chooses not to do so.

30. aftershocks

Regardless of whether or not info in the memos are true, there is a definite connection between Russian officials and some former Trump operatives, in addition to Trump's own admitted questionable admiration for Putin. As well, Trump has yet to release his taxes which may reveal conflicting business-related interactions with the Russian government. There's no way Trump should have gotten away with not releasing his taxes. No one else would have been able to get away with such heedless disregard for coming clean. Plus, intelligence authorities reportedly have enough evidence proving that Putin meddled in the U.S. election against the Democratic candidate.

Trump's Celebrity Apprentice television fame has had him viewed by a number of thoughtless idiots as some kind of tough guy businessman with authority and credibility. He's just a rich boy lying cheat and a smooth-talking brash salesman bailed out from total bankruptcy by banks who felt they could get return on their investment by allowing Trump to peddle his name brand. And that's exactly what Trumpster has done since the 90s bailout that saved his spoiled bullyish rich boy a$$. Trump learned aggression and deceit at the knee of Roy Cohn in the 1970s and 1980s. Cohn was Repub Sen. Joseph McCarthy's Goebbels during the 1950s era Communist baiting/ enemies list hounding (i.e., Joseph Goebbels who was Hitler's right hand man and Minister of Propaganda). Trump has absolute gall, and he's a hypocrite of the highest order for even referencing Nazi Germany while whining about being undermined, during his pissant excuse for a press conference. Trump should never have even thought about running for President. That will turn out to be his biggest goof, and his ultimate downfall. He will pay for his transgressions big time, and he's paying a heavy price already even while he's blustering, dissembling and blowing smoke up everyone's ass.

David Pakman: "Real or Fake" Pakman breaks down Russia Blackmail story
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vErmD2UazKk

For some light relief, Bill Maher will be back on January 20. Meanwhile:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyqkUrdUEhs scroll to 3:22
    Maher discusses a sign at a Trump rally: "It's not the sign that worries me, it's the baby. That look [on the baby's face while Trump is palming it's cheeks] says,'I've seen the future and I want back in the womb.'" :rofl:
    What I'd like to know is what the crazed look on the baby's mother's face is saying ... or NOT! :scream:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 7:23 PM
    Marge_Simpson and barbarafan like this.