1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

Chinua Achebe, 1930-2013

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by falling_dance, Mar 22, 2013.

1. falling_dance

falling_dance Coaching Patrick

from the Guardian (UK):

and

the Guardian obituary

the New York Times obit

article from The Guardian (Nigeria)

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Aw, that's sad. Although ... I have to admit I thought he'd died a while ago!

I just re-read Things Fall Apart recently as part of a job I was working on (English teacher resource on indigenous literature). It really is a fabulous novel that stands the test of time.

RIP.

3. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

He was truly a great writer. Things Fall Apart had quite a profound effect on me. Loved Anthills of the Savannah too.

RIP. :(

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I had a great multi-cultural literature class in high school where we read a number of his works. He was a fabulous writer.

I also got to hear him speak, and at an age when I was too young to appreciate it. I don't have fond memories of that evening... Wish I could have gone as an adult instead.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Incredible writer and a real inspiration.

6. overedge

overedge Janny uber

I read Things Fall Apart in a Commonwealth Literature class (OK, it was a while ago), and it made a huge impact on me. He was an incredible writer.

7. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Awww :(

8. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I was re-reading Things Fall Apart just yesterday. :eek: Incredible psychological depth in his characters as well as mysterious insights into the spirituality of pre-colonized West African culture.

Rest in Peace