Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairecloutier

According to a Twitter source (https://twitter.com/iskating_pt), Peng/Jin will head to Canada next week to work with Lori Nichol. They'll be getting a new SP "very different from the current style". They will keep the Umbrellas of Cherbourg LP but make tweaks to it.

I'm happy that the Chinese fed is investing in Peng/Jin by sending them to Nichol, glad they're getting a new SP (much as I liked this one), uncertain about keeping the LP. I love the LP, and I definitely think it has room to grow even more. OTOH, it still seems like a new LP for the Olympic season would be the way to go.

Thoughts??

C

casken

According to a Twitter source (https://twitter.com/iskating_pt), Peng/Jin will head to Canada next week to work with Lori Nichol. They'll be getting a new SP "very different from the current style". They will keep the Umbrellas of Cherbourg LP but make tweaks to it.

I'm happy that the Chinese fed is investing in Peng/Jin by sending them to Nichol, glad they're getting a new SP (much as I liked this one), uncertain about keeping the LP. I love the LP, and I definitely think it has room to grow even more. OTOH, it still seems like a new LP for the Olympic season would be the way to go.

Thoughts??

So they are keeping the generic, weaker program, and ditching the more original, effective one that they beat the reigning world champions with.

What, was P&J's SP a little too well received by the public, and now it needs to go becuase we can't have them upstaging Yu&Captor next season?

clairecloutier

So they are keeping the generic, weaker program, and ditching the more original, effective one that they beat the reigning world champions with.

What, was P&J's SP a little too well received by the public, and now it needs to go becuase we can't have them upstaging Yu&Captor next season?

Hmmm ... :wideeyes:

VGThuy

My thoughts. P&J's SP is one of the highlights of the season, and we can't have that now can we?

jlai

Question everything
I haven't seen any of these programs. Just going by scores, P&J's sp ranges from 66-73 all season long. They broke 70 twice. The one time they beat the world champ, they were 73 and barely ahead. I wouldn't call that a stunning success.
The pair slightly improved once in the long, dropped slightly once in the long, dropped two places in the long in the GPF, but made a huge comeback in the 4cc in the long. So I don't know. I wouldn't call this a major success either. Ideally I would say change both, but if not, I don't have a major issue with which one to change.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Poor Zijun. Chinese fed is stupid to pull this drama, she is miles better than any other Chinese lady at this point and is there only hope for gaining 2 Olympic births on the ladies side. She doesn't seem like a brat and also appears to work plenty hard. What is the Fed's deal? :angryfire

skatingguy

decently
Poor Zijun. Chinese fed is stupid to pull this drama, she is miles better than any other Chinese lady at this point and is there only hope for gaining 2 Olympic births on the ladies side. She doesn't seem like a brat and also appears to work plenty hard. What is the Fed's deal? :angryfire
Chinese Sports Federations are used to total control of their athletes - look at things that happened with Li Na & Lu Chen - so not having Li Zijun in their training facilities is probably causing some consternation.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Chinese Sports Federations are used to total control of their athletes - look at things that happened with Li Na & Lu Chen - so not having Li Zijun in their training facilities is probably causing some consternation.

Didn't they support/encourage her going to Mishin in the first place though??

Seerek

Poor Zijun. Chinese fed is stupid to pull this drama, she is miles better than any other Chinese lady at this point and is there only hope for gaining 2 Olympic births on the ladies side.

To be fair, Xiangning Li acquitted herself quite well considering she did the Junior/Senior Worlds double. It'll be interesting to see if she's assigned a different choreographer next season

Marco

If anything, X Li is making a case to be the sole entry next season. The Fed didn't want Z Li at Worlds and it turns out she didn't skate or place well.

With neither politics nor results on her side, it's going to be difficult for Z Li to impress the Fed to send her to PC. She better start working hard.

Last edited:

jiejie

I think the Chinese Fed's patience with Zijun Li is wearing thin. She has not made any headway in the last couple of seasons, and in some ways has gone backwards since her Worlds #9 finish in 2015. She has one ISU Championship medal (2014 4CC, bronze) and no Grand Prix medals. She still skates as slowly as ever (which I didn't expect Mishin to improve), and her jumps are still prone to underrotation (which I did expect him to improve). I think her skating can be lovely, but she's benefited from having little competition in China so far....and that is about to change with Xiangning Li poised to blow right by her next season.

icellist

have we heard anything about Wang/Wang. At this rate, they'll probably only get 4CC for the Olympic season. And when Zhang retires, the W/W will probably be split up.

hanca

Values her privacy
have we heard anything about Wang/Wang. At this rate, they'll probably only get 4CC for the Olympic season. And when Zhang retires, the W/W will probably be split up.
Well, the male Wang is now 28, so when Zhang retires, he will probably retire too. Not many skaters continue over the age of 30, and those who do are usually among the top (Kavaguti, Zhang, Savchenko).

Last edited:

clairecloutier

There's a great new translation of a quite long and informative interview about the current state of Chinese pair skating. I believe this was shot right before this year's Worlds.

Chinese pair skating - unlocking the dilemma: interviews with Hongbo Zhao, Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, and Yu/Zhang

This was a fabulous interview, thanks. I liked their candor in discussing the partner swap and the fan reaction to it. Hongbo Zhao's response to the fans is actually very respectful--saying that ultimately, it's a good thing fans even care that much about figure skating (to get so upset about the partner swap).

I also had to smile at Zhao's comment: "You can't possibly place in the tens." (Referring to Peng/Zhang's 11th or 12th placement at 2016 Worlds.) As much as I question the Chinese fed at times, that simple statement is why the Chinese pairs are so good. If you accept low results, you'll probably keep getting them.

Spun Silver

Zhao's force of mind is fearsome, as is the way he has been able to inspire/will his injured and re-paired team to a singleminded pursuit of Chinese glory. Their success so far makes me wonder about Chinese podium sweeps in the near future. It already looks like he is to coaching what he and Shen were to skating. (Plus, it is hard to believe she is not playing some important behind the scenes role.) Pretty scary... and exciting!

DDNatalia

Will be interesting to watch the jockeying and movements and manipulations as the 2022 Games comes into view, exactly one minute after the flame goes out in Korea.

Japanfan

It already looks like he is to coaching what he and Shen were to skating. (Plus, it is hard to believe she is not playing some important behind the scenes role.) Pretty scary... and exciting!

I figure Shen must still be very much involved in Chinese figure skating, just not in role that the television's catch - not traveling with the team to competitions.

I'd really appreciate an update on what she is doing. It would be much appreciated if a Chinese poster googled in Mandarin, which might generate some information!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information