1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

CBC's Stuart McLean passed away.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by algonquin, Feb 16, 2017.

1. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

kwanfan1818 and JoannaLouise like this.
  2. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

:(

3. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I cried when I saw this on Facebook. Vinyl Cafe has been the soundtrack of so many road trips in our family. Stuart McLean mastered the art of storytelling and in such an accessible way. He will be very much missed.

4. KatieC

KatieC So peaceful

I just saw this too on Facebook. So sad. I tried to time outings on Sundays to make sure I could hear the Vinyl Cafe in the car, and then started downloading podcasts. My favourite, I laughed so much I almost had to pull the car over to the side of the road, was The Waterslide. His imagery was amazing. So hard to believe we won't have any new stories about Dave and Morley.

JoannaLouise, algonquin and Scrufflet like this.
  5. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Well-Known Member

The Waterslide was brilliant! I also love the one where Dave decided to dog-sit Tissue Turlington. And Dave Cooks the Turkey was classic.

made_in_canada, KatieC and algonquin like this.
  6. quartz

quartz Waiting for my egg to boil. Softly.

Iconic Canadian for sure. He was one of a kind. So glad I got to see him perform live - a truly magical evening. This one really, really hurts.

7. JoannaLouise

JoannaLouise Official Toaster Oven Monitor

:( I used to always listen to Vinyl Cafe with my dad on Sunday afternoons.
    I'll definitely be pulling out one or two of my books of Vinyl Cafe short stories this weekend. I always imagine Stuart McLean's voice in my head when I read them.

Skate Talker likes this.
  8. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

So sad. I can't imagine not hearing his voice anymore. As someone said yesterday, we're not just mourning Stuart, we're also mourning the loss of Dave, Morley, and all the others who have died with him. RIP Stu - and know you brought immeasurable joy to so many people.

Scrufflet and quartz like this.
  9. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I loved the guy. He made me laugh - Harrison's Fords Toes........and made me cry. To quote Shelagh Rogers:
    I am so grateful how much he cared. For the stories he told. For how he made us laugh, for how he made us feel about our country. How he helped us understand it, and ourselves. For the good he saw in us. We will miss him. We already do. RIP Stuart, with love and gratitude.

Scrufflet and quartz like this.
  10. KatieC

KatieC So peaceful