Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Madi and Zach will be 27 in Pyeongchang, so they'd be 31 in Beijing. For comparison, Anna and Luca will be 31 and 32, respectively, in Pyeongchang; Andrew Poje will be 31 as well. I'd say it's certainly possible, since ice dancers tend to have a longer career than singles skaters. I think it'll depend 1) how they do next season and 2) how the upcoming contingent from juniors does. If they continue upwards and surpass C/B and/or the Shibs, they might retire after the Olympics. Ditto if the Parsons, M/C, or H/B are able to make a move. But if they can hold off the younger teams and are still climbing, I could see them sticking around. I'd love to see them as world medalists before they retire, and this weekend proved it's actually possible.
Don't forget financial issue.
I pretty sure I heard Alex mentioned during the FD press conference they were setting their path for after 2018, so I have a feeling S/S won't retire esp. seeing they're still quite young. C/B however is another question, he's older and they're seriously struggling for 2 seasons now even though they still got bronze last year.

Last edited:

AquaLady

On a positive note - I'm really looking forward to their rhumba next year! They're going to be :smokin: I kind of hope they do another lyrical program for their FD - it's not new, but it suits them and their chemistry really well and would be a nice contrast to a sexy Latin SD. Any thoughts on potential music choices?
Agree. Would love to see them do a lyrical FD. It really suits them and their chemistry. Potential music choices? I would love to see them skate to Give Me Love by Ed Sheeran, or Over and Over Again by Nathan Sykes, or any of Sam Smith and James Bay...

clairecloutier

OMG, no. I do not want to see any more moody lyrical FDs next season!! Madi/Zach did it once this season, once is enough. They are capable of a great deal more than the FD they had this year. Although they gave it everything and made it beautiful in the end, I still don't like it as much as most of their other FDs. No way. I want to see some drama, something INTERESTING, from them.

CassAgain

Do Madison and Zach have an on-going site/campaign to contribute to their training costs?

ninalovesskating

Agree. Would love to see them do a lyrical FD. It really suits them and their chemistry. Potential music choices? I would love to see them skate to Give Me Love by Ed Sheeran, or Over and Over Again by Nathan Sykes, or any of Sam Smith and James Bay...
Omg. Yes please! Give me love would be amazing for them!

VGThuy

Although a lot of us skating fans will probably be bored with routine that is so close in theme to this season's, we have to remember that the Olympics will consist of wholly new viewers who don't watch skating outside of the Olympics, so a program like this year's FD that really shows off their strengths and chemistry will do wonders for them.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I'd love to see them use 'Time' from Inception. It's such a powerful piece of music, and Madison and Zach have a strong skating style, so I think it would be perfect for them.

blancanieves

Although a lot of us skating fans will probably be bored with routine that is so close in theme to this season's, we have to remember that the Olympics will consist of wholly new viewers who don't watch skating outside of the Olympics, so a program like this year's FD that really shows off their strengths and chemistry will do wonders for them.

The thing with Hubbell & Donohue is they have chemistry in everything they do. Newer fans might tie their improved skating to the choice of programs under D/L, or perhaps some simply have a preference for lyrical/modern styles. But the judges familiar with their work since 2011 have seen some nifty versatility from them, and I believe it's a valued quality. Not only do they seek to express different things, they do so successfully.

Granted, perceiving differences in tone can be subjective. Some would put their Nocturne, Tron and Love medley FDs all in the same bag. I don't. The former is abstract and melancholic, the second displays intensity and power, and the latter is 100% about romantic love. Each of these programs was beautiful in a different way. But H/D also excelled in delivering a stormy, blues/jazz FD their first season together, and in their second season, a passionate flamenco that while not purely-traditional, brimmed with authentic flair of movement.

Exploring different directions might not work for every team, but I think it has set H/D apart in a positive way.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
A clip of "Believer" from the SOI opening show in Fort Myers, Florida last month: https://www.instagram.com/p/BS2bSLVht_L/

Link to the U.S. SOI tour thread in GSD in which I posted the Sam Chouinard practice clip (posted above by Dreams of Bliss) yesterday: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...s-fan-reports-more.101063/page-2#post-5067021

Their second half SOI number -- “Stand by Me” by Florence + the Machine -- is also new?

Keiffer Hubbell posted 2 clips yesterday of him skating with his sister :D:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTpMi2bgsKY/?taken-by=keifdog
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTpoCMfAAGP/

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ That's great fun. I love it.

I'll never stop loving Madi & Zach. I think their fantasy book title I mentioned for the faux fs books thread should more aptly been titled: Opportunity Knocks: A Roller Coaster Season. And I'm sure they will be rewriting their path to the top with some serious knowledge and experience under their belts, due to the highs and lows of this past season. #GetUp #KickAss

if folks are pining for the interpersonal ice dance drama of yore.

I'm certainly not 'pining' for the V/M vs D/W drama which mostly came from OTT V/M fans. It was actually possible for some fans to love both V/M and D/W, just as it's possible for some fans to love both V/M and P/C.

It's silly to think though that no tensions exist at all between V/M and P/C. Kudos to their coaches for managing it all and keeping temperatures on an even keel in the rink environment. Like I said, all champions want to win. And even those who have never been champions want to win. Sure, it's possible to fight hard for the podium and remain sportsmanlike. :)

Thanks for the instagram clip of Kieffer with Madi @Sylvia
Kieffer & Madi flashback:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFb1JL0VWc0

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
"We all know it's Madi that does all the heavy lifting": https://www.instagram.com/p/BTy3Ki7FTmY/?taken-by=zachtdonohue

Their second half SOI number -- “Stand by Me” by Florence + the Machine -- is also new?
1-minute clip of "Stand by Me" in practice before the May 6th Chicago show: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTxJiGFDYOj/?taken-by=davidbaden
1-minute clip during the show: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTxg05Zj9og/

1-minute clip of "Believer" from last night's Chicago show: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTxZI7GjbKI/?taken-by=davidbaden

Re-posting from the U.S. SOI thread in GSD:
This instagram user has some absolutely gorgeous photos from Hershey.
Hubbell and Donohue--photo 1, photo 2
Closeup photo from the Chicago show: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTyyMEwhqH4/?taken-by=planetbomba

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I really like the edginess of the Believer number. Stand by me is a bit on the mushy side like their FD this year, not my cup of tea even if they do interpret it well. I much prefer them in a more dramatic program like their Tron. I also think this year SD taught them they're quite good at skating sharp and strong, like in this Believer, they should keep on exploring that side of their skating imo. They are very good at emoting but I wish they wouldn't go for the overly romantic sweet music.

blancanieves

I really like the edginess of the Believer number. Stand by me is a bit on the mushy side like their FD this year, not my cup of tea even if they do interpret it well. I much prefer them in a more dramatic program like their Tron. I also think this year SD taught them they're quite good at skating sharp and strong, like in this Believer, they should keep on exploring that side of their skating imo. They are very good at emoting but I wish they wouldn't go for the overly romantic sweet music.

I think their interest in exploring different directions is always there. They probably just had to be strategic in coming up with two solid programs for their SOI debut, with little time to do so. And exploiting the mileage of their Love FD choreo and repackaging it into "Stand by me" freed them to pour more attention into crafting "Believer." The end result is both programs look really polished. :)

clairecloutier

My thoughts exactly! I had the same reaction to the programs.

Really hoping we will see a more intense, strong & exciting FD from them this year. More & more, they remind me of Virtue/Moir with the power and depth of their skating skills, and their emotional connection. With both teams, it seems almost a waste to match all that power & skill to soft romantic ballads. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
This made me laugh really hard:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BT1hm4Jl6Es/

I like the idea of them doing something more intense/powerful like their Tron FD for Olympic season, but I still hope they really play up the romantic connection they had this past season in their FD. So something that has a bit of both FD's works for me. While we're on the subject, based on their competitions choices so far... :shuffle: this season really could be theirs for the taking in the US. I hope that it is :cheer2: they're due and have improved more than any team the past two seasons IMO.

I'm kind of worried about a Latin SD for them, but I was also very vocal about their SD this past year and look what happened at Worlds. :shuffle:

VGThuy

Oh Tron...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX5LRkdV_7E

This is still one of my favorite ice dance routines to watch ever. They really know how to peak their performances at the right time. It's amazing to me how much I ended up loving this even after being ho-hum about it for most of the season. I know there are some who prefer the original choreography and more literal interpretation, but I like how the more abstract and streamline approach really showed off how much their glide and power improved in Montreal.

About Latin, I honestly didn't think much of Madison Hubbell's actual dancing earlier on in their hip hop SD. A whole season later with some changes to the actual choreography, they did an excellent job and gave both the audiences and judges what they wanted. It wasn't the most convincing hip hop dancing ever but it was one of the best out of all the ice dancers and probably the best we could hope for since none of these skaters have trained hip hop extensively. I have no doubt they can do Latin successfully if they were able to make that hip hop work.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Yeah they'll be fine, if they skate well I really think they belong on the Olympic podium. Imagine how much more improved they'll be by February. :cheer:

I'm anticipating the craziest season of all-time in ice dance. I've already emotionally removed myself from it or I'll probably end up in the looney bin.

VGThuy

I love too many teams and there aren't enough steps on the podium. Between the Shibs, C/B, and H/D, it's amazing that at least one of them won't be able to do the team event. Talk about an embarrassment of riches. With only one pair team doing the team event, I wonder which one of ladies, mens, and ice dance will also only have representative.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
^ oh no doubt it'll be Nathan Chen, for scoring potential alone. I love Jason to bits, but the team competition isn't happening for him without a clean quad somewhere in his SP next year. It'll be 2 ladies/2 dance teams, and then even picking those two might be difficult.

I think it'll be a Montreal sweep if all teams hit, Shibs 4th, and then Shibs win post Oly Worlds, or a Worlds soon thereafter (and have a more successful 2022). I'd also like to see a world title/Oly medal for Weaver & Poje somewhere in there. (And Hubbell & Donohue, who I hope win at least 2). There aren't enough years and I'll probably be wrong anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information