Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

insideedgeua

Results page (June 9-12, 2017): http://www.nswisa.com/results/live/

Chantelle Kerry/Andrew Dodds are registered to compete as the only Senior dance team - here's a recent local news segment on their new partnership: https://www.facebook.com/KerryDoddsAUS/posts/122939534948131

An update from their Facebook page.

Thank you everyone for a great weekend at Hollins Trophy! Our first competition and we had two great performances, achieving the goals we had set for ourselves. Now we are motivated and excited to keep working hard! Here is a short clip of one of our lifts from this weekend!

https://www.facebook.com/KerryDoddsAUS/videos/135081983733886/

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I wish they'd posted full videos of their programs, they were very good. Especially since it's only been 7 weeks, and Andrew is still in freestyle blades.

That said, I will be interested to see how the rest of our dance couples are going when the time comes (I was surprised none of them showed up at Hollins, perhaps they all chose Wintersun this year?). I am guessing Kimberly and Timothy are not Olympic-eligible (I think he is still a US citizen), and putting the clues together from ISU bios, Adele and Demid won't be either because he might still be a Russian citizen. I don't know if either are pursuing Australian citizenship in time.

So that takes the argument between Matilda and William, India and Patrick, and Chantelle and Andrew. I imagine the ISA are watching very closely, since the first argument will be who will go to Nebelhorn to try their luck there, let alone who might go if we qualify for the team event. Nationals will be very interesting.

misskarne

I hope the Darwin rink goes well! That would be way cool, to go to skate in Darwin.

(Or way humid/way hot, I suppose.)

Sylvia

TBD
Looks like Brendan Kerry was just in France for the choreography of his new FS: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVzx4caggSf/

Brooklee Han debuted her SP ("I Dreamed A Dream" performed by Susan Boyle) at the Broadmoor Open this past weekend, placing 7th (53.69) in a field of 26. She went for 3T+3T (first time in competition, I believe) and stood up on it, fell on 3Lz, and had a cool fan spiral entry into 2A with a leap exit. She showed quality spins, as usual.

Last edited:

Marco

Has it been decided whether it will be Kailani or Brooklee that goes to Nelbelhorn? They have beaten each other quite drastically at 4CCs the past 2 seasons. I don't know how sure Kailani's spot at PC is (if she qualifies for one at Nebelhorn...).

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Has it been decided whether it will be Kailani or Brooklee that goes to Nelbelhorn?
I believe this is the relevant passage from the nominaton criteria:
vi. If Australia does not qualify quota place(s) at the ISU World Figure SkatingChampionships in Helsinki, Finland 2017, then Ice SkatingAustralia will nominate one (1) athlete(s) in each of those non-qualified disciplines to compete at the ISU Olympic Qualifying Competition, Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf, Germany 2017 as follows:
a. Selection to compete at this event will be allocated to senior age eligible athletes from the ISA Senior International Pool.
b. If there is more than one (1) athlete(s) in a discipline, then athlete(s) will be ranked by adding together their two (2)
highest total TES scores achieved at any two (2) Senior ISU Championships/ISU Senior International Competitions held
during the period 1 January 2017 and up to 10 days prior to the closing date of entries for the ISU Olympic Qualifying Competition, Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf, Germany 2017.
http://media.wix.com/ugd/793a42_481f3a1ee76e45e79c084a6f82e1f136.pdf

Or to give the short answer, no, it hasn't been decided yet!

Marco

Thanks Bunny Hop.

For KC, her total TES at 2017 Worlds and Asian Winter Games were 79.47 and 78.93 respectively. Her 4CCs TES total was lower than these two scores.

For BH, her total TES at 2017 4CCs and Triglav Trophy were 79.95 and 69.62 respectively. Her RIG TES total was lower than these two scores.

So, to date, KC has the higher combined total TES scores across two events. I don't know how many more events there are for BH to try between now and 10 days before Nebelhorn entries close. In any event, did the Aussie Fed say whoever goes to Nebelhorn and secures the spot gets to use it for PC?

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
In any event, did the Aussie Fed say whoever goes to Nebelhorn and secures the spot gets to use it for PC?
No. This is covered by the next clauses in the same document. If after Nebelhorn that skater is ranked 20 places or more ahead of the next ranked Australian skater in the ISU Senior World Rankings, then they get the Olympic nomination. If they are not 20 or more places ahead, then both skaters will have to attend the same two ISU international competitions in between Nebelhorn and 20 January 2018, as nominated by Ice Skating Australia. Their total scores at these events will then be added, and the higher ranked skater then gets to go to the Olympics.

Given that there have been two cases in recent years where the Australian nominee for the Ladies event at the Olympics has been disputed, I suspect the criteria has been written in an attempt to prevent any more such controversies.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Han and Craine are very closely matched in their skating skills and competitive mindset.

Currently, Craine probably has the edge in the short program, and Han, the free skate.

There are so many competitors vying for those last few spots in South Korea, Nebelhorn is going to be a cliffhanger.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Wow, a few weeks to work on the senior program, then back to the junior program.

They should earn WS points for participating in JGP, and, hopefully, they'll qualify for JGPF.

misskarne

No :wall: No :wall: No :wall: No :wall: No :wall: No :wall: No :wall:

Great. So they'll turn up in Nebelhorn as Juniors and the international judges will treat them that way. What was already hard has just become even harder. Not only that, but they'll turn up in Nebelhorn to skate a Senior FS that they won't have competed internationally until that point. Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

My level of fcuk you, ISU has risen higher.

Dobre

They will show up at Nebelhorn as one of three pairs teams that qualified for the senior World Championship Free Skate. If they wish to compete their senior LP earlier in the season, they can attend a summer competition & do so. If they skate well at their first JGP event, they can also come into Nebelhorn with some momentum.

Look. It's pairs.

If you can go out and land three sets of triple jumps, three triple throws, and don't implode your lifts, then you have an excellent chance of earning your way to the Olympics.

If you can't, then you can't.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The Australian Fed could have sent them to Senior competitions before Nebelhorn instead of JGP. There are four CS events before Nebelhorn, one each in Europe and NA two weeks before and one week before Nebelhorn.

I wonder if they've figured out a way for them to stay and train in Europe for the month, though. If they can get ice, the Australian dollar should go far in Eastern Europe.

sammyf

I would guess they would attend the Asian Open in Hong Kong in August. It's a shorter flight and they can skate their senior pairs program there and would give them a break before having to travel again.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

The Australian Fed could have sent them to Senior competitions before Nebelhorn instead of JGP. There are four CS events before Nebelhorn, one each in Europe and NA two weeks before and one week before Nebelhorn.

I wonder if they've figured out a way for them to stay and train in Europe for the month, though. If they can get ice, the Australian dollar should go far in Eastern Europe.

I'm guessing since Katia and Harley were the only World Junior Champions not to earn a Senior Grand Prix berth, and as the World Junior Champions, going to junior grand prix events are an assured way of taking medals and earning some money to offset their training costs.

I agree it is an ill - advised move (both politically and stamina - wise) on ISA's part not to send them to some CS events before Nebelhorn first, though. Hopping between junior and senior events, sometimes a week apart last year, was very tiring for the team.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I would guess they would attend the Asian Open in Hong Kong in August. It's a shorter flight and they can skate their senior pairs program there and would give them a break before having to travel again.
Last year, Paris Stephens/Matthew Dodds skated in the Senior Pairs debut event at Asian Open Trophy (5 pairs from 3 countries competed) so hopefully Aussie pairs will be represented there again this year. Dates are August 2-5.
No other pairs on the JGP circuit representing Australia. I'm guessing Rotondo and Dodds have retired then.
Ryan Dodds turned 21 last December -- he has aged out of ISU Junior competitions.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Last year, Paris Stephens/Matthew Dodds skated in the Senior Pairs debut event at Asian Open Trophy (5 pairs from 3 countries competed) so hopefully Aussie pairs will be represented there again this year. Dates are August 2-5.

It just occurred to me that if Katia and Harley earn Australia a spot in South Korea at Nebelhorn, but Alexandrovskaya is unable to secure Australian citizenship in time, and Stephens & Dodds earn the minimum OG TES minimum, Paris and Matthew may actually get to skate in the Olympics.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
They have the FS minimum from last season's Autumn Classic International, but missed the SP minimum by .32. They'd need to earn that for 4C's as well.

aussieSKATES

ISA has announced that the following athletes are scheduled to represent Australia in the upcoming ISU Junior Grand Prix Series.

JGP of Brisbane
August 21-27
Brisbane, Australia

LADIES
Amelia Jackson
Jordan Lazarus
Serena Xu

MEN
Darian Kaptich
James Min
Guiseppe Triulcio

DANCE
Joanne Cho & Jake Meyer
Jessica Palfreyman & Charlton Doherty

JGP Cup of Austria
August 28-September 3
Salzburg, Austria

LADIES
Holly Harris

JGP Riga Cup
September 4-10
Riga, Latvia

LADIES
Katie Pasfield

MEN
Darian Kaptich

DANCE
Jessica Palfreyman & Charlton Doherty

PAIRS
Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya & Harley Windsor

JGP Minsk-Arena Cup
September 18-24
Minsk, Belarus

LADIES
Lucy Sori Yun

MEN
James Min

JGP Croatia Cup
September 25-October 1
Zagreb, Croatia

LADIES
Holly Harris

MEN
James Thompson

DANCE
Joanne Cho & Jake Meyer

JGP Gdansk
October 2-8
Gdansk, Poland

PAIRS
Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya & Harley Windsor

aussieSKATES

Below is the provisional competition schedule for the upcoming ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating of Brisbane.

THURSDAY AUGUST 24
Competition for the day begins at 2pm

Ladies’ Short Program
Men’s Short Program

FRIDAY AUGUST 25
Competition for the day begins at 2pm

Short Dance
Men’s Free Skating
Men’s Medal Presentation & Victory Ceremony

SATURDAY AUGUST 26
Competition for the day begins at 12pm

Ladies’ Free Skating
Free Dance
Ladies' Medal Presentation & Victory Ceremony
Ice Dance Medal Presentation & Victory Ceremony

PLEASE NOTE:
No gala exhibition has been scheduled for this competition.

Marco

If they do well enough at the JGPs and Nebelhorn, is there a chance they get invited to a GP event? If not, I hope they at least get more fall internationals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information