1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ashley Wagner Cheer Thread #2: One Day I'll Fly Away...

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bronwynsings, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Me too! :( I guess it's probably best for her to focus on training right now, though.

olympic likes this.
  2. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

jenniferlyon and Firedancer like this.
  4. DimaToe

DimaToe World Silver Member

:cheer: :cheer2: that she isn't planning on retiring right after PyeongChang, there's still plenty of sonograms that she needs to compete with :D

IceAlisa and Firedancer like this.
  5. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Yes, CAA is the superior agency. I love their building.

6. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

7. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I am so proud of Ashley's performance. Granted she missed the 2toe but the 3/3 combos looked better. I wanted to be National champion but she's going to worlds.

Coco, cbd1235, bronwynsings and 2 others like this.
  8. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Continually pleasantly surprised by her FS this season, that was a great skate and IMO under-rewarded for its maturity, class, and ability to cast a spell on viewers. I do think she needs to move the 2T off the lutz at the end, maybe back to the 2nd 2A or to the 3F or something. Even if she lands the combo (like at Skate America), it just doesn't have the impact that landing a solo lutz at the end of the program does. Her 3-2 combos are not stellar. If she doesn't land it, well, it's points thrown away and it takes away from the spell of the program.

I was very meh to her SP here at nats....I loved her SP at Skate America, but here it was such a weak performance from a skating and selling standpoint. Her footwork was a disaster imo, she's capable of so much better. She needs to really work on the edges in this program, to have maximal impact. But boy oh boy, the opening is the best thing since sliced bread.

tuffcaco, Coco, falling_dance and 2 others like this.
  9. artsciboy

artsciboy Active Member

I'm proud of Ashley - strong case for 1st, but whatever US judges!

That said, I don't think "Sweet Dreams" as a program is registering that well with judges either nationally or internationally. Its a great show program, but that's the biggest issue - its a show program. I think Ashley should really consider going back to "Hip Hip Chin Chin" at 4CCs and Worlds.

AngieNikodinovLove likes this.
  10. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with you on this but then I think she did with the SP with this program at SA, yes?

11. artsciboy

artsciboy Active Member

I think the performance quality was there at SA - that said, the criticism of Sweet Dreams was still there back in October - the program doesn't give her the opportunity to show much flow and has lots of two-footed skating. I don't recall that much criticism for Hip Hip Chin Chin.

12. stillalive

stillalive Active Member

Yep, I was noticing it at Nationals.

13. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

I was actually a bit disappointed that without the interruption of GPF, her programs (TR, CH) and her skating (spins, jump rotations) didn't improve more here. I wonder if that's the message that USFS was giving her here by not giving her the win. I mean, that kind of PCS differential between her and Karen was not realistic internationally.

IceAlisa likes this.
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

That's an interesting theory.

15. bardtoob

bardtoob Former Choreographer for Anna Maria Tragikova

Mark me as impressed. I watched both the NBC broadcast of the 2017 Nationals LP and then again on YouTube, and Ashley is really showing herself to be a great competitor under pressure.

cbd1235, petro and IceAlisa like this.
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    skatfan, Simone411, IceAlisa and 4 others like this.
  17. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

I think a fitting song for Ashley next season is "And I Am Telling You... I am Not Going"

Jun Y, AxelAnnie and vvh.equ9art like this.
  18. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

With regard to the conversation upthread about the 3Z-2T, I think in order to stay near the top, Ashley needs to try different things to gain points even if they are only micro-increases. BTW, I was fascinated by her attempt at a 3F-3T in the 2nd half of her LP at WTT last April. I doubt she can do it but IMO that mode of thinking is correct to keep up.

Clay likes this.
  19. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

I think a doable layout for Ashley is:

2axel
    3flip3toe
    3sal
    -
    3loop2toe2loop
    3flip
    3loop-2axel
    3lutz

She will lose a little BV due to having a jump sequence and putting the 3sal up front, but she will have one less big trick to worry about UR and can focus totally on the 3flip3toe.

Most importantly, work those spins!

IceAlisa and Simone411 like this.
  20. Simone411

Simone411 I'm Clippy and I'm an Ashleyholic

@Marco, I like your kind of thinking. I believe Clippy does, too! :cheer2::lol:

Marco likes this.
  21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

3l2toe was a low scoring combination for her back in 2012ish. I'd be surprised if she could put a 2t2l on it. Maybe 3sal2toe2loop?

I would love it if she brought back the big spread eagle into 3loop...and the 2a into split falling leaf.

22. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

Can someone educate us and tell us how Ash loses levels on her spins????

23. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Well her spins are all planned to be level 4 - but often she is either too slow or running of time and has to cut her spins short.

24. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Ashley also has to be very careful about how much spin practice she does as spinning has caused her, I believe, more than one concussion.

falling_dance likes this.
  25. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

I'll lose my mind if Ashley skates to La La Land :swoon:

26. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Well she has said she does not practice spins all that often for that very reason.

27. zigzig

zigzig Well-Known Member

How do spins cause concussions for her but not in other skaters? Does it aggravate a previous condition she had? Or is this a wider problem that hasn't been discussed much?

28. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I think it has to do with movement of the brain inside the skull - more precisely, bumping against the skull and "bruising" as a result (not a doctor, someone correct me if I'm off)...and while most people immediately think falling on or bumping your head when they think of concussion, if you spin fast enough and violently enough, the same forces can come into play. Any violent (enough) and/or jerky movement of the head, really.

I'd say for figure skaters, it's probably a combination of spin moves and hard/unexpected falls that contribute to concussions there.

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

While that is unfortunate, the fact remains that she often gives up valuable points as a result of losing steam on spins. Often it means the difference between medal and no medal - or color of medal. Again though, it's all risk management and she must ultimately decide if it's worth it to her or not.

30. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the longer I am involved with figure skating the more I realize that it is all about risk management. So few skaters, if any, are able to compete for years without ongoing injuries that will not heal as long as they continue to skate. They just manage them as best they can. Like with the boot issue we talked about earlier, I find I am a lot less quick to judge when a skater makes what looks like an easy mistake. Figure skating is extremely hard on the body and the requirements at the junior and senior level are very unforgiving.

Sylvia likes this.