1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ashley Wagner Cheer Thread #2: One Day I'll Fly Away...

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bronwynsings, Nov 24, 2014.

1. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Wow so she won't be making the GPF for the first time in... How many years? It'll be interesting to have no US skaters at the GPF this year. Pretty poor showing for all the American ladies on the GP this season...

clairecloutier and IceAlisa like this.
  2. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Since 2012.

But as I like to say - better here than at Nationals or Worlds...

supergirl573 and IceAlisa like this.
  3. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

"But she gives it her all and most of the time it's effective."

I think this is the double edge sword of Wagner's skating. As much as I appreciate that she has continued in the sport, I just feel that much of the choreography is just that...it is "choreographed". I don't see the joy in the moment of the program where she actually skates "in" the music. She is a great actress, don't get me wrong, and she loves the "performance" aspect of her programs but when I look at the difference between one of Wagner's programs....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA_DlvoH7QM

and how Chiddy skates...(his Eric Radford LP )....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHhz9p1U6UY

there is a different level of skating. Patrick truly feels his music and actually skates "in" the music. Does that make sense? As opposed to Ashely, who performs "to" the music. And, going back to the quote above....
    "But she gives it her all....."
    perhaps she puts too much into the performance aspect of her programs? perhaps too much "angst" or "diva"...because sometimes the programs come across disingenuous. Perhaps if she just backed off a pinch, the programs would ring true, and appeal on a different level.

mag, supergirl573 and moebius like this.
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

I don't see the need to compare two such different skaters. I am capable of enjoying both. One subpar competition and she has no joy in her skating. OK. Her joy and energy reverberated in the building in Boston during the SP. At SKAM this year the Russian commentator said her energy reached across the Atlantic. She is not Chan, no one is, but she has SOMETHING. You don't have to like it.

Oh and if she only rotates her jumps, her programs will be just fine, especially this year.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  5. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

Well..Ill predict Ashley will Not make the GPF.. had she held onto the 5th place at CoC she would have...

I predict Pogo, Sotskova and either Satoko or Wakaba will all medal thus pushing Ashley out of the GPF.. Unless something happens like Mirai or Elizabet or Alaine sneak in and play spoiler for the others mentioned...

6. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

:violin: She got her butt kicked. Our diva of the west needs to let it go and focus on nationals. She can go for the sneak attack at Worlds where it matters. :cheer: The performance was still strong and the programs are working. I still love her.

7. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

I know... Well, we can hope for 2 USA men and 3 USA Dance teams to make the trip.....

Karpenko likes this.
  8. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  9. IceAlisa

<<love her>> carrots or not

cbd1235 and Karpenko like this.
  10. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Did her performance really drop a lot or did the crowd just not appreciate the performance? The applause was very subdued.

11. LilJen

LilJen Reaching out with my hand sensitively

This. She was a bit whiny for a while over feeling like her strengths weren't recognized, but then she took responsibility and worked like heck to fix her lazy (2-ft) landing leg, her lack of a 3-3. She may not be the most naturally gifted skater but I have all kinds of respect for her acknowledging her faults and working incredibly hard to overcome them.

alchemy void, centerpt1, mag and 7 others like this.
  12. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

Wyliefan likes this.
  13. IceAlisa

In my head I am imagining Rafael's face when he learns that Ashley ate a bagful of frosted sugar cookie something. :eek:

Xela M likes this.
  14. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

She'd probably just do the extra work he gives her to make up for it and eat them anyways. :cool:

Wyliefan likes this.
  15. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

It's a disappointing GP season for the top US ladies - though Courtney Hicks and Mariah Bell won medals. Think of the positive aspect of not going to the GPF:

You aren't training and tapering for a big competition, away from home. More time to work on technical and choreographic issues and peak at nationals and worlds.

16. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Ashley is going to Zagreb for a Senior B in early December. This is new for her!

17. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Interesting plan. It sounds like she wants to go on the attack and make up for CoC which would show a good state of mind as we get closer to the 2nd half of the season.

Wyliefan likes this.
  18. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Well-Known Member

Hey Ashley... just a fan that still believes in you and knows you're thinking big picture. Also, enjoy your fame. You have enough time to show up at worlds ready to battle.

Xela M, Marco, IceAlisa and 1 other person like this.
  19. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

1st alternate to GPF isn't bad at all. She might have gone to GPF at least once or twice in the past years originally as 1st alternate and after someone withdrew. (not wishing ill on anyone who actually qualified, but still, it isn't unfamiliar territory for her)

Anyways, she is already going to compete at Zagreb, so she will still have one shot to redeem herself before Nationals. (and still a relatively competitive field there too)

20. artsciboy

artsciboy Active Member

No, Ashley has always qualified for the GPF directly and never gone as an alternate.

21. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Best IMO to stay home up the anti on conditioning and practice.

IceAlisa likes this.
  22. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Oh right. Then perhaps she qualified a couple of times in 6th place? Esp the last 2 GPFs held in 14 and 15?

23. artsciboy

artsciboy Active Member

You're right there - she qualified in 6th spot for the last two GPFs.

Marco likes this.
  24. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

From USFS website:

Golden Spin
    Zagreb, CRO
    DEC 7-10, 2016

Glenn
    Gold
    Wagner

Dolensky
    Zhou

Cain/LeDuc
    Denney/Frazier

Hawayek/Baker

Will be an interesting event for all of these skaters...some needing to demonstrate a higher level of training than in earlier season competitions, others (V Zhou) getting his first Sr international IIRC.

25. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I'm glad that she's sane enough to brush off coc as a one off. Looking back at the results, it was shocking to see that in 10 years she'd never placed any lower that 5th at any gp event, until this last one. She's actually been pretty consistant for someone saddled with the "inconsistent" label.

falling_dance likes this.
  26. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

She's always been remarkably consistent on the GPs in the past and had a habit of fizzling out at Nationals and as the season went on.

27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Ashely has a small appearance in the latest ShibSibs vlog and she was really stunning in her red dress at the CoC banquet.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

Ashley is no longer going to Golden Spin of Zagreb: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...he-ladies-who-flutz.99866/page-6#post-4946138

Unofficial hearsay is she is fine and decided not to compete there after all.

ETA: Ashley tweeted yesterday after landing in Colorado.

ETA #2:

https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/806221665055178757
    https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/806222540565872640

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  29. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Awe shucks, I was hoping to see another round of her programs. Nationals it is!

Wyliefan likes this.
  30. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!