1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

Ashley Wagner Cheer Thread #2: One Day I'll Fly Away...

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bronwynsings, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

It's such a wow of a program. :cool: She's the only lady that can pull it off even close to that well.

Her shoulders are the new Navka leg-line and will hypnotize you. The dark-shimmy queen of the night. :glamor: :nopryde:

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

myhoneyhoney likes this.
  3. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

Her original long program was 'The Feeling Begins' :wall:

That idea better never enter her thought process ever again, good girl for changing it to Exogenesis. And :scream: that it almost happened. Just no. Never. That generic satan of an idea shouldn't have ever come so close to happening in the first place. :drama:

clairecloutier likes this.
  4. IceAlisa

I love TFB. I think she would have done a great job. It would have likely been the first TFB to my liking since Kwan.

Karpenko likes this.
  5. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

It's just been done by way too many people and it would cheapen her a bit IMO, even if she had the best version. Not a good choice for a LP at all IMO. (Maybe a short) @Marco it wasn't Evita. :shuffle:

ETA: you know.. Courtney Hicks clearly loves Ashley's current "in" hair color (every year, bless her). Maybe Ashley got a whiff of the brunette Courtney this summer and decided to reverse the roles a little bit, so she decided to use Courtney's SP music from last year. :skandal Yeah. That's what that is, I feel better. (and well played Ashley.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Marco likes this.
  6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The energy and the control she has in each of her programs are impressive.
    Good job Ashley Wagner ! :cheer2:

7. IceAlisa

There's no TFB but Kwan's. Wagner is the one other skater who would have done it justice.

Who is Courtney? ;)

8. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

Hearing that 10-12 years ago would've melted my heart, and also shocked me. ;)

Yeah okay, I believe you now. It could've worked but I would've been very very against it.

VIETgrlTerifa likes this.
  9. martyross

martyross Well-Known Member

Ashely is a splendid creature! i wish i had 1/4 of his femininity!
    reminded me of Yuna's Fever program, which is one heck of a compliment.
    she's just fabulous in that dress and ponytail, she's a mermaid... plus her impressive gazes ---- a dominant lady with great personality. she brings divaness and entertainement into figure skating.
    at the same time, she looks so nice and approachable off ice.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    AxelAnnie likes this.
  10. IceAlisa

I have always said that Kwan's TFB was sublime. Always. My all time favorite Kwan performance. She was woman enough to skate to it and I think Ashley could bring her own brand of fierceness into it. I ignore all other TFBs as not authentic. :D

Marco and Karpenko like this.
  11. missing

missing Well-Known Member

My friend Bookseller and I were at practices Friday and a woman came over to us and said she was Ashley 's mother and she wanted to say how much she appreciated that we'd been applauding for all the skaters. We talked for a couple of minutes and Bookseller and I felt really delighted.

A few minutes later Ashley's mother returned with Ashley by her side. Bookseller and I went from delighted to thrilled. I was able to tell Ashley that I'd been at Worlds and how excited I'd been to see her medal.

Ashley and her mother were incredibly gracious and gave Bookseller and me a forever memory.

12. IceAlisa

I am really over people being continually butthurt over Ashley's wins and medals. Sochi was a long time ago. Moveon.org but no. Someone, anyone always gets robbed in favor of Ashley Wagner. Yes, I am aware, she doesn't have the best SS or jump tech.Yes, I am aware her choreography can be OTT.

But she gives it her all and most of the time it's effective. She is capable of creating magical moments on the ice just by the power of her conviction and her energy. So either her fans all over the world, USFSA and the judges all suffer from mass psychosis or she really is a remarkable skater. To listen to some, she can barely place one skate in front of the other. She may not be everyone's cup of tea, which is totally understandable but the whining about how the better skater didn't get rewarded is tiresome.

Kudos to a poster in the ladies FS thread who acknowledged that while Ashley is not their favorite skater, their hat's off to her for being a fighter. I find the fight in Ashley so inspiring. Loved the quote at the end of SKAM as to why she keeps skating--"I am not good at anything else."

[/rant]

13. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

New Goldenskate article on SA:
    http://bit.ly/2eGfdDi

:rofl: It's just impossible not to love her.

She might as well just crimp her hair like a tacky 80's rocker, and flair it out all punker crazy in a big volume ponytail. Then it'll be tough scary bitch like it should be.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    AxelAnnie and IceAlisa like this.
  14. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

I had a similar experience with Ashley's mother at a Worlds practice in Boston. She walked over and introduced herself and was incredibly nice and sincerely appreciative of Ashley's fans. I didn't get to speak to Ashley afterwords but she did come meet her mother after the practice in the stands. I had met Ashley previously so I didn't want to intrude. What a wonderful experience for you!

clairecloutier, Oreo and bronwynsings like this.
  15. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I was so not a fan of Ashley in 2010.But her ability to acknowledge her flaws and make huge changes really made me respect her. I think not making the 2010 Olympic team was the best thing that could have happened to her. Even after she made the Olympic team in 2014 she continued to improve. I really hope she wins worlds this year and gets an individual Olympic medal next year. Her career is really inspiring. She has had to work for everything she has accomplished. On another note I wonder what Mirai and C Zhang think of her comment regarding being under the radar when they were up and comers...

Chris_E, AxelAnnie and IceAlisa like this.
  16. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

So far I am only lukewarm to both programs but she surely sold the heck out of both. I will need to watch again but it appeared like she added some TR before the 1st 3loop. I hope she could do more of those, especially before the 2axels and the solo flip.

The Feeling Begins would be an intense and seductive program for her but probably best as a short - otherwise it could get overly repetitive. I doubt she would bring it back though since she said she was scared to do it. Anyway, between Rondo, Dreams of Desdemona and East of Eden, we really don't need another skater doing a Kwan masterpiece here without this whole event turning into a Kwan-tribute. Although I would say all those ladies that skated to Kwan music did well here (Mai, Gabby, Mariah). Someone called her a every 2 year girl, skated to Sarah's music and dropped like a rock. That's Skate America karma, folks. Don't forget - she owned this event.

Glad she acknowledged that she lost spin levels here and would work hard on them.

IceAlisa and Karpenko like this.
  17. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

I'm just living for Ashley's men's LP pbp from Skate America. :rofl: I can tell we'd get along just fine.

My fav:
    "I am the queen of no transitions, but Boyang surpassed me today #SkateAmerica"

OMG :rofl: love to the hundredth power. :love:

Marco and Coco like this.
  18. IceAlisa

This happens every season. C'mon, it's a crime to leave these points on the table. :wall:

19. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Past Prancer's Corridor

I think that her back pain/issues may have made things even worse for her wrt spins. If beillman positions continue to present problems, then I hope "plan B" level 4 spins are developed for her to use when needed.

Karpenko and IceAlisa like this.
  20. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

The Biellmann is only a key feature for 1 out of her 6 spins done in a competition. If it really hurts her, I think a planned level 3 is acceptable for the layback. But she would still aim and work for level 4 for her other spins. However. it appears like she isn't even attempting all 4 features in her combo spins here due to speed and timing issues. She even said so herself in the K&C. This is one of the reasons why her TES isn't higher and is actually tied with Gracie's much lamer effort.

IceAlisa likes this.
  21. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

Ash is seriously making me consider my orientation this season!!!!!!

frida_lumen and cbd1235 like this.
  22. Sylvia

Sylvia Prepping for club comp. season!

frida_lumen and IceAlisa like this.
  23. IceAlisa

Pssst, Ashley! Do not get Louboutins! I repeat, do not get Louboutins. They are this cosmic joke on women. If I were to torture my foot like that, I might as well wear pointe shoes. Yes, they are pretty. Yes, the red sole is chic. But they are the absolute worst. It's not that they are uncomfortable, all high heels are to an extent. But Louboutins are literal non-stop foot torture. If you want great shoes that are gorgeous and high end, go Valentino. Rockstuds in poudre would looks amazing on Ashley.

Or at least do not wear Louboutins until you retire. Pretty please.

I loved the interview, so genuine, both of them. :swoon:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Coco likes this.
  24. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

This is really lovely to watch - Ashley Wagner spending >1hr with fans taking pictures and signing autographs after her Skate America win https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svltJzlQGF4

She did the same at Worlds after her silver medal, it was touching to see her take time away from her big moment to make sure that her fans had a moment. She is a class act

25. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

Im VERY conflicted about this...

Well... because I am a 40+ man and a bodybuilder and I would have bulldozed all those lil kids to have my moment and photo with her... And then.... well.... I would have felt bad.........

arakwafan2006 and Chris_E like this.
  26. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Ash will take care of you and the kids ;) get up in there!

AngieNikodinovLove likes this.
  27. Karpenko

Karpenko Not Impressed.

:wall: it's always the 2nd GP event. It never fails, she should start practicing a 3loop/3toe. If that happens at Worlds then game over and goodbye 3 Olympic spots. It's harsh but that's the reality. She can't biff the combo.

I'm glad her biellman is back but that first combo affected the entire performance.

AngieNikodinovLove likes this.
  28. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Well-Known Member

Quite frankly , if this is as bad as it gets, it's far from horrible. Not her best but it's COC... Now is the time to screw it up. I'm not a fan of the step sequence as it makes Ashley's weakness look worse. The program is 100% her though. I don't doubt she will be where she needs to be come Nationals and worlds. She opened super strong at SAM. No fall and she fought through things. She clearly wasn't free which skating to that music while you're thinking about every step is tough. She brings huge performance to this program. That's tough

She tried a new designer this year and I'm not loving it. Ashley, with that body and her looks could pull off anything. It looks like what an adult skater would wear if they had a lot of money. It's a sorta basic and long dress.

29. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Extremely disappointed in Ashley. She has a lot of work to do. The confident skating at Skam is gone and she looks to have regressed. I am hoping it is an injury because I am not pleased. She has skated this free program 3 times and the last two times were not very good at all.

30. teacakes

teacakes Member

I think the last thing a fan would want is for a skater to be injured. Let's hope it was just a bad day at the office.

frida_lumen likes this.