1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ashley Wagner Cheer Thread #2: One Day I'll Fly Away...

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bronwynsings, Nov 24, 2014.

1. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Well-Known Member

Picking up where we left off... :)

Here is the British Eurosport commentary on Ashley's LP at TEB. They always really seem to appreciate her and her skating.

2014 TEB Ashley Wagner LP B.ESP2

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Anticipating Challenge Cup & JR Worlds!

3. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Did Wagner say something to Arutunian about "that very last flip"...?

Elisheba likes this.
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

She pleasantly surprised me by making quantitative progress towards her goals in TES. That's so admirable.

supergirl573, bardtoob and Wyliefan like this.
  5. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Assortment of things she said in the kiss and cry:

"I just don't want to puke"

"I was so focused on the last flip that I was going to make it a toe" (she was probably wanting to do a 3-3 on the second flip, but then the landing was bad and she put a single toe instead)

"I missed the flip, missed the toe, and that was going to be a downgrade....sigh"

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

With Sotnitkova out and Julia struggling very badly this season is probably Ashley's best chance ever to do something big. Hopefully she can really improve those jumps and spins and take advantage. The only one almost out of reach for her is Elena.

7. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Yes, this. Thanks for digging this out. I have no idea what she meant. I wonder if the flutz was supposed to be there. It wasn't there in Skate Canada.

8. JJS5056

JJS5056 Well-Known Member

The new edge rule must be so frustrating for a skater/coach like Wagner and Arutunian - clearly, she flutzes, but there is a huge difference in scoring between the "!" she received at TEB and the "e" she might be hit with at other internationals. Inconsistent callings make it impossible to know what the best strategy is... I hope she makes GPF, so that she can test it out one more time before Worlds and see if it is worth the risk.

I wonder if a 3-1-3 is possible for Ashley? I feel like she has nothing to lose. She won't podium without at least a 7 triple program, and is there much difference between a 5th place (with a clean 6 triple program) and 7th place (with a missed 3-1-3) at this point?

9. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

I feel a 3-1-3 is doable for her (3loop half loop 3sal), but it won't solve her problem of being buried after the short program.

The most ambitious yet mostly doable content for her would be:

Short: 3flip3toe, steps into 3loop, 2axel

Free: 3flip3toe, 2axel, 3loop half loop 3sal // 3lutz, 3loop, 2axel2toe (or 3sal or 3toe tap 2axel if she missed the sal or toe earlier), 3flip

I would give up the 2axel3toe for good. Her 2axel isn't even solid on its own, let alone add a 3toe after it.

She needs new steps before the 3loop in the short. She keeps getting a < for it in the short, but gets better odds of rotating it in full in the long with other transitions, even on tired legs.

And learn how to count those spin revolutions, Ashley!

supergirl573 likes this.
  10. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Perhaps 2a - 1l - 3sal or flip? I almost think the 3flip would be easier for her to do, as her salchow seems to need a very steady and somewhat long preparation.

She does have to still do 3f3t since she'll need it for the SP. But this way she'll be able to go for 7 triples and 2 double axels. Also, she can do 2t after 3loop without concern.

Since we are speculating...I would also like to see her try 1 foot 2sal - 3flip. Someone needs to do that combination!!! If she never gets a reliable 3-3, this would provide 6.6 or 7.26 in bonus time, plus some GOE.

Her spin issues are caused, imo, by being behind her music.

11. mag

mag Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Coco, post: 4389916, member: 2692]...

Her spin issues are caused, imo, by being behind her music.[/QUOTE]

I think she has also admitted that she doesn't like working on spins. Hopefully when she studies her report cards she will be motivated to work a little more on her spins. I really think that spins are an area that she could improve on relatively easily (not that any of this is easy lol!)

DobrinFan, supergirl573 and Coco like this.
  12. JJS5056

She's had issues with the flip being < on its own; I'm not sure a 3-1-3 with it on the back end is the way to go. You lose a lot of speed in the middle of those combinations, which makes edge jumps easier to get back some momentum and rotate. And, while those other combinations are fun and I'd like to see them, they are essentially dead-ends with nowhere to progress. She's on a tight time-table depending on what her goals are; I think focusing on one 3-3 and one 3-1-3 is the way to go.

I agree that she is consistently behind the music, which ruins not only her spins, but her CH sequences as well. For such an empty LP, you'd think this wouldn't be an issue?

13. angelflies

angelflies Well-Known Member

Ashley isn't going for a medal. She is going from a finish between 5th to 7th to help the U.S team retain 3 spots (preferably as high as 5th in case Gold and the other American entry mess up and don't place as high as hoped). She should do what gives her the best shot at a clean program, being what her goal is.

yunatripleflip likes this.
  14. JJS5056

No, her goal is to finish as high as possible. Have you read any interviews with Wagner?

Every competitive athlete is out there to do their best; nobody aims for 5th place at this place in their career regardless of what is realistic or not. To accomplish her goals, she needs to complete the highest technical content she is capable of, and given her struggles with +3T combinations, it's a valid conversation to discuss alternatives. Do you have anything to add to that discussion?

cbd1235 and supergirl573 like this.
  15. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I think if a skater receives a ! , they should assume it could be an "e" at Worlds and plan accordingly. I certainly wouldn't put my faith in consistent calling!

Messalina likes this.
  16. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

The CH sequence is just one Charlotte. It's actually very small as well. I have no idea where the time went.

17. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

in to the set up for the 2a and the 2nd flip!

Elisheba likes this.
  18. JJS5056

Yes, sorry, this was more of a problem in past programs. Now, she's watered down the sequence so much it doesn't really matter.

19. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Well-Known Member

20. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

21. cbd1235

USFS made a mistake, Kwan went to 5
    Grand Prix Finals (qualifying for 7 total). But after that, Ashley is the US leader for most GPF's, good for her! :)

22. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Ah, that makes sense. I was surprised by that tweet myself.

23. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Certainly the most in the COP era, though.

IceAlisa and bronwynsings like this.
  24. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Perhaps because when Kwan made the first few, they were called Champion Series Finals?

supergirl573 likes this.
  25. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

So happy for Ashley.

26. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

For Wagner's sake, I am glad that none of the US ladies did well at the GPs.

Gold may have won the only GP title for the US ladies this season, but it wasn't with a out of this world skate. Edmunds has problems in the short and as expected, she is starting to have problems with rotations. Nagasu's big tricks don't work and neither do Cesario's.

With all her jumping troubles this season, at least she isn't being left in the dust.

bronwynsings likes this.
  27. beyoncerocks

beyoncerocks Banned Member

I badly want to see Ashley win her first major title at the grand prix final of skating. GO ASHLEY!

28. DimaToe

DimaToe World Silver Member

I hope that Ashley can improve some of her jumping issues for the GPF, with the type of PCS she has been given so far this season she should have been able to challenge for gold at both SC and TEB. I wish she'd get the jump consistency that she had when she was with Nicks, she didn't have a 3-3 still but her jumps seems to be executed better. I wish her luck at the GPF though.

29. cbd1235

Second major title ;) she won 4CC in 2012 over Mao Asada

30. bumblebeevich

bumblebeevich Member

Well gold at SC and silver at TEB maybe. She would need to not only skate cleanly but greatly improve her technical level (better jumps, better spins, harder jumps) to ever compete with or beat the Radianova of TEB.