Anna Pogorilaya - Her future prospects?

judgejudy27

:blah: Anywhere else in the world Sotnikova would have been 3rd at the Olympics.

I kind of laughed on another thread when a poster who was defending Sotnikova mentioned had she been from any country other than Russia nobody would have a problem with her win in Sochi. I couldnt help but think "well duh since there wouldnt have been a win in the first place in that scenario." :rofl:

While I do think the American girls, MUCH moreso Gold than Wagner however, got a home country boost, that should be fully expected especialy by all the big countries in the sport by now. It was an awesome event, and you were splitting hairs picking out the better performances, so of course those on home ice have an edge. It is funny to see fans of the Russian girls of all people harping on Americans being overscored due to home ice at these worlds. THEM of all people, did they go in coma and forget the very recent past or something (and I am someone who is a big fan of Russian skating in general myself). Also U.S men lost out on 3 spots at worlds due to Rippon skating awesome in both programs being placed behind Chan who had something like 3 clean jumps in his LP, and PCS so far below even a mistake ridden Chan, so obviously the home ice wasnt that much a help in the end.

Xela M

I kind of laughed on another thread when a poster who was defending Sotnikova mentioned had she been from any country other than Russia nobody would have a problem with her win in Sochi. I couldnt help but think "well duh since there wouldnt have been a win in the first place in that scenario." :rofl:

While I do think the American girls, MUCH moreso Gold than Wagner however, got a home country boost, that should be fully expected especialy by all the big countries in the sport by now. It was an awesome event, and you were splitting hairs picking out the better performances, so of course those on home ice have an edge. It is funny to see fans of the Russian girls of all people harping on Americans being overscored due to home ice at these worlds. THEM of all people, did they go in coma and forget the very recent past or something (and I am someone who is a big fan of Russian skating in general myself). Also U.S men lost out on 3 spots at worlds due to Rippon skating awesome in both programs being placed behind Chan who had something like 3 clean jumps in his LP, and PCS so far below even a mistake ridden Chan, so obviously the home ice wasnt that much a help in the end.

I thought Adam's treatment was criminal! But maybe the US were scared Chan would complain about that big puddle on the ice during his skate? I've never seen ice this bad at a World Championship.

The funny thing is, there have been no complaints about the result coming from Russian experts/coaches/media whatsoever. Everyone was happy about the ladies podium and even Elena's camp accepted her placement and was very understanding about it. No complaints at all from Anna's camp.

It's just FSU that's upset. :violin:

bardtoob

No complaints at all from Anna's camp.

We all know that Anna wouldn't. That is not her or her coach's way, even if their faces say it all.
------------
(The Americans and Russians were probably equally as satisfied that they got as many spots as each other in the men event for next year. In the aggregate, only Japan is producing enough top men to deserve 3 spots. Both the Russians and Americans did much better this year, but they still have a lot of work to do.)

Last edited:

Jammers

We all know that Anna wouldn't. That is not her or her coach's way, even if their faces say it all.
------------
(The Americans and Russians were probably equally as satisfied that they got as many spots as each other in the men event for next year. In the aggregate, only Japan is producing enough top men to deserve 3 spots. Both the Russians and Americans did much better this year, but they still have a lot of work to do.)
Russia wasn't missing at least 3 of their top Men at Worlds like the US was.

judgejudy27

Honestly I am not sure there is any team the U.S could have sent that would have done any better or quite gotten 13 if Rippon and Aaron skating exactly as they did couldn't do it. Maybe Brown and Rippon together could have done it? Brown would not have placed better than Rippon here even skating his best IMO, but he might have been able to finish in the same spot (so 6th and 7th either way with both, enough for the 3 spots). I don't see Chen doing any better than Aaron, even if he did quads he would be killed on PCS by an international panel, and Aaron also did quads and has better PCS than him. Farris is the only hypothetical American with the package (quads + GOE + PCS) that I think would have potential to get a top 5 score here if even Rippon skating as he did didn't get it, but that would require him skating cleanly or close to it, and he is an inconsistent skater even healthy.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
None of the US men would have made the podium at Wolrds IMO. Maybe a perfect Josh Farris could have edged out Kolyada for 4th, but he would have needed 2 clean skates with a quad in both program to do that. Max and Nathan have quads but PCS would prevent them from finishing higher than 5th or 6th, and the same goes for Rippon and Brown who have good PCS but are limited by their lack of a (fully rotated) quad. A Josh Farris skating clean is also a big if, maybe his 4CCs programs from last season with a quad in SP could have gotten him 4th place, but podium was out of reach for any US man this year IMO.

hanca

Values her privacy
Stop with the excuses, it is getting boring. In juniors two strongest Russian ladies had to withdraw, one of them after placing first in the SP, and yet the third lady managed to get three spots. At seniors last year, Russian team was missing the strongest three pair teams, they sent to worlds their number 4-6 pairs and yet they also managed to keep three spots. If the US men were any good, they would manage it even without their top three men.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I thought that Adam should've won the bronze, and his PCS should've been higher in relation to the field. His skating and performance quality at this Worlds has never been so good, and I had him 3rd to Javier and Yuzu in PCS on the LP. Boyang had quads and that's it in comparison, Adam was miles ahead everywhere else.

I also think that Chan's beautiful skating is often too much reflected in the P/E and IN component marks when he blows it in a performance.

I think that Jason Brown could've pulled off a medal this year. 2 clean programs would've done it, with one quad in the LP and probably PCS right below Hanyu. Hopefully next year they'll get 3 spots for Olympics, otherwise it's going to be very :fragile:

ETA: :rofl: this is Anna's thread, whoops

Last edited:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I don't know Anna or her coach, so I certainly don't know what they would or wouldn't do. And the Russian Fed, if it felt it had grounds, could have complained or demanded an inquest. They've done it before, have they not?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I thought that Adam should've won the bronze, and his PCS should've been higher in relation to the field. His skating and performance quality at this Worlds has never been so good, and I had him 3rd to Javier and Yuzu in PCS on the LP. Boyang had quads and that's it in comparison, Adam was miles ahead everywhere else.

I also think that Chan's beautiful skating is often too much reflected in the P/E and IN component marks when he blows it in a performance.

I think that Jason Brown could've pulled off a medal this year. 2 clean programs would've done it, with one quad in the LP and probably PCS right below Hanyu. Hopefully next year they'll get 3 spots for Olympics, otherwise it's going to be very :fragile:

I typed up something about the men, then I saw the last ETA. This is Anna's thread.

I hope the RSF realizes what a gem they have in Anna. She got it done when it counted, and she is just 17. Lots of room to develop her artistry but she has all the raw materials, including long limbs, jumps, and a tough mind.

kwanoverrated

Banned Member

Rippon not atleast placing top 5 and giving the U.S back 3 spots totally blows, as he deserved atleast that. There is no way that beautiful skate with great choreography, skating skills, and an inspired performance deserved to be so far behind a splatty/messy Chan in PCS. Yes Chan is in another league at his best in skating skills imparticular from Adam, but still a skate with that many mistakes no way deserved such a PCS boost. I also agree compared to people like Boyang or Uno he should have had much more a PCS edge than he was given, as his skating skills, choreography, performance quality, and quality of transitions are far beyond theirs. He was way underscored, and he is the best example the American that did well (like Wagner) didn't really benefit from home ice at all.

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
I hope the RSF realizes what a gem they have in Anna. She got it done when it counted, and she is just 17. Lots of room to develop her artistry but she has all the raw materials, including long limbs, jumps, and a tough mind.

ITA. She needs better packaging and look on the ice to ever have a real shot at the gold in a major event, but I think with more support and guidance she can gain that. With her body type, upper body poise and posture, and at times her lines on the ice, she has a lot of potential to grow artistically, as well as continue to improve and get more consistent technically.

pinky166

Happy birthday to Pogo! May adulthood be kind to her! Wish we were seeing her at the Challenge Cup but oh well. Can't wait to see what programs she comes up with next season! :cheer2:

bardtoob

Nice interview with Anna. The pic of her in a little black dress is stunning. I really expect to see her modeling soon.
http://fs-gossips.com/anna-pogorilaya-happy-that-i-have-such-life-and-not-another/

So, even with such a competent attitude you still can, for example, make a scandal?

Anna:Maybe before, I could, but I was stopped. And with the years I understood that everything can be told with normal words. And you will understand you. If they don’t, than no matter shout or don’t shout, they won’t understand you.

– you’re a student. How the new life met you?

Anna: Actually, I don’t notice someone there, to university I came only to find the teacher and did my studies. I don’t see the rest of it, because all the time I run back and forth. Looking, looking, looking. I know many guys from the university, but can’t catch up with them often. I know many skaters, but can’t expand the circle of acquaintances yet. But I came to university not for this. I already have enough friends, not only from the sport.

This says a lot about her, and it is admirable.

arakwafan2006

She is gorgeous. A bit more control and she would be flawless.

This choreography was nothing special and beneath her capability. The music is wretched, especially the whateverthehell beat added in at the end.

I would think David Wilson or Shae Lynn would have a field day with her.

Bellanca

Anna was in an ideal situation last season, being under the radar. The exception being the discussions regarding the spectacular rolling falls that she had. Aside from this, while all eyes were focused on other skaters in Russia and abroad, Anna slowly peaked at the right time to win World bronze. Now, let’s hope, that with more expectations for her this season, that she will rise to the occasion.

liv

I liked her program. Her jump set ups aren't distracting like some other skaters. She's using music Yagudin and Grishuk/Platov used many years ago, at the end... I like it.

pinky166

Anna is looking great for so early in the season! I like both her programs a lot, lots of drama and expression! Plus the jumps look pretty good. She is very striking on the ice. Hope this season goes well for her!

skatfan

I thought Adam's treatment was criminal! But maybe the US were scared Chan would complain about that big puddle on the ice during his skate? I've never seen ice this bad at a World Championship.

It was that bad at a couple of events at the 2003 Worlds in DC - ladies final as I recall - too warm in the building

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information