All Thing PBS

dardar1126

The "Pride and Prejudice" sequel "Death Comes to Pemberley" is coming to PBS! It will air a three-part adaptation of the 2011 novel by acclaimed mystery writer P.D. James. It imagines the continuing lives of Jane Austen's Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, married and with a murder to solve. PBS did not announce an air date.

Anna Maxwell Martin of PBS' "The Bletchley Circle" and Matthew Rhys of FX's "The Americans" will star in the BBC One project.

A.H.Black

The "Pride and Prejudice" sequel "Death Comes to Pemberley" is coming to PBS! It will air a three-part adaptation of the 2011 novel by acclaimed mystery writer P.D. James. It imagines the continuing lives of Jane Austen's Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, married and with a murder to solve. PBS did not announce an air date.

Anna Maxwell Martin of PBS' "The Bletchley Circle" and Matthew Rhys of FX's "The Americans" will star in the BBC One project.

Cool. Here's the IMDB page - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2951788/ Penelope Keith as Lady Catherine - what a hoot.

Artemis@BC

The "Pride and Prejudice" sequel "Death Comes to Pemberley" is coming to PBS! It will air a three-part adaptation of the 2011 novel by acclaimed mystery writer P.D. James. It imagines the continuing lives of Jane Austen's Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, married and with a murder to solve. PBS did not announce an air date. Anna Maxwell Martin of PBS' "The Bletchley Circle" and Matthew Rhys of FX's "The Americans" will star in the BBC One project.

Hmm. I thought the book was very weak -- or rather, very uneven. The weakest parts being the murder mystery, which was ironic considering the author. But some of the best screen adaptations come from mediocre books, so it could end up being great.

And :cheer: at the thought of seeing Penelope Keith again!

dardar1126

Preview of Masterpiece Mystery!: The Lady Vanishes...airs Sunday 08/18:

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/The-Lady-Vanishes-Masterpiece-Mystery-2367/episodes/-46543

A young socialite (Tuppence Middleton) on her way home investigates the disappearance of a fellow train passenger (Selina Cadell), whom no one else seems to remember seeing. Joining in the search is an engineer (Tom Hughes) who has eyes for her.

I'm interested to see this remake; I loved the original Hitchcock film (1938) with Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave, and Dame Mae Witty.

dardar1126

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Anyone watching Churchill? This first part reminds me a lot of "Young Winston". Makes me think that movie was more accurate than many biographical movies.

dardar1126

I love old period photographs. Here are 13 from around the time the Mr. Selfridge series was originally set:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalind...alflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=buzzfeed

13 Photos Of London Street Style From 1905-1908
Long before photographers like Bill Cunningham and The Sartorialist were documenting street style, photographer Edward Linley Sambourne captured the Edwardian fashion of the city’s affluent Kensington neighborhood.

EDIT:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalon...alflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=buzzfeed

26 Haunting Photos Of The London Fog
London was covered in fog at the beginning of the 20th Century, culminating in the Great Smog in 1952.

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

Reminder that Silk is on Masterpiece starting on Sunday. Looks like they're only showing season 1 for now, no doubt will show the second season later. I've seen both seasons (thanks to Knowledge Network, BC's fabulous public broadcaster), and I really enjoyed them. The British legal system is so very different from the US one, or even the Canadian one, so even though it is "another lawyer show" it's still different. Plus it's very well written and acted.

(ETA: I just spotted on imdb that a third season is scheduled for the UK in October -- so I hope we get that one here before too long.)

Peaches LaTour

I did not like the "Pride and Prejudice" sequel book at all so I doubt I'll watch this series; also disliked the first episode of "Silk" and have not watched that any further.

Not looking like a great PBS season, for me, so far.....:rolleyes:

Artemis@BC

I did not like the "Pride and Prejudice" sequel book at all so I doubt I'll watch this series; also disliked the first episode of "Silk" and have not watched that any further.

Not looking like a great PBS season, for me, so far.....:rolleyes:

I loved Silk when aired here a couple of years ago, but can see how it wouldn't be for everyone.

I'm very much looking forward to Last Tango in Halifax, starting this Sunday. And then new Foyle starts the following Sunday! :cheer:

A.H.Black

Watching Richard II this evening. One of my favorite Shakespeare plays. I wish the series went all the way to Henry V. It appears it ends with the Henry IV plays. I guess I will have to find my copy of Kenneth Branagh's Henry V when this is over.

I missed part of it. Was Patrick Stewart, John O'Gaunt?

dardar1126

Watching Richard II this evening. One of my favorite Shakespeare plays. I wish the series went all the way to Henry V. It appears it ends with the Henry IV plays. I guess I will have to find my copy of Kenneth Branagh's Henry V when this is over.

I missed part of it. Was Patrick Stewart, John O'Gaunt?

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episo...espeares-history-plays/about-the-series/1747/

The Hollow Crown does include Henry V; after Richard II they showed a special "Shakespeare and the Divine Right of Kings" in which many of the principal actors (Whisaw, Hiddleston, Irons, Kinnear, Walters), directors and producer were interviewed. Tom Hiddleston specifically talked about the character arc of Prince Hal becoming King Henry V.

Yes, Sir Patrick Stewart was John of Gaunt.

EDIT: via Twitter...

PBS ‏@PBS 26m
In case you missed it -- The Hollow Crown: Richard II is now available to view online: http://to.pbs.org/16OjgVf #HollowCrownPBS

Last edited:

A.H.Black

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episo...espeares-history-plays/about-the-series/1747/

The Hollow Crown does include Henry V; after Richard II they showed a special "Shakespeare and the Divine Right of Kings" in which many of the principal actors (Whisaw, Hiddleston, Irons, Kinnear, Walters), directors and producer were interviewed. Tom Hiddleston specifically talked about the character arc of Prince Hal becoming King Henry V.

Yes, Sir Patrick Stewart was John of Gaunt.

EDIT: via Twitter...

I saw that later in the special as well. I will look forward to Henry V. As for Richard II, I confess to liking the Derek Jacobi version better; but, then, I really like Derek Jacobi.

What is the genealogical series?

dardar1126

http://www.pbs.org/program/genealogy-roadshow/

About the Program

Part detective story, part emotional journey, Genealogy Roadshow will combine history and science to uncover the fascinating stories of diverse Americans. Each individual’s past will link to a larger community history, revealing the rich cultural tapestry of America.

Genealogy Roadshow premiere season will feature participants from four American cities — Nashville, Detroit, San Francisco and Austin — who want to explore unverified genealogical claims, passed down through family history, that may (or may not) connect them to an event or a historical figure. These cities were chosen as American crossroads of culture, diversity, industry and history, with deep pools of potential participants and stories. After participants are chosen, experts in genealogy, history and DNA will use family heirlooms, letters, pictures, historical documents and other clues to hunt down more information.

These experts will enlist the help of local historians to add color and context to the investigations, ensuring every artifact and every name becomes a clue in solving the mystery. Residents of Nashville, Detroit, San Francisco and Austin are invited and encouraged to submit their personal stories as Genealogy Roadshow will unearth family and community secrets, reveal notable relatives and discover unexpected stories that connect the past to the present. Many answers will be revealed on camera before a local audience, in a historic building relevant to the cities’ – and the participants’ – histories.

skatesindreams

I enjoyed the program!

It debunked some family legends; as well as making surprising connections for others.

Artemis@BC

I can hardly wait to see Tom Hiddleston's Henry V, and compare it with Branagh. I missed this series when it was on PBS, but my library just picked up the DVD set for the whole Hollow Crown series so I plan on binging at some point later in the fall or winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information