All Thing PBS

Artemis@BC

Lots of good stuff coming in December:

~ Doc Martin season 7 (probably the final season?) - starts December 3
~ Man & Beast, a 2-parter about human-animal relationships, with Martin Clunes - Dec 17
~ Moone Boy season 3 - starts Dec 19
~ Call the Midwife Holiday Special - Dec 25

(These dates are all for Seattle - KCTS. I'm pretty sure Call the Midwife will be the same for all affiliates, but I'm less sure about the others.)

dardar1126

Coming in January 2016

In January 2016, American Experience has two new documentaries premiering on PBS. Bonnie & Clydewill kick off the new season on January 19 at 9/8c, followed by the premiere of Mine Wars on January 26 at 9/8c. We will also be re-airing our 2012 documentary, Death and the Civil War on January 12.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/blog/2015/11/20/coming-january-2016/

‘Downton Abbey’s Final Season Debut Kicks Off PBS Winter/Spring Schedule

http://deadline.com/2015/10/downton-abbey-final-season-sherlock-ken-burns-pbs-schedule-1201587599/

Artemis@BC

Had to dig all the way to page 6 to find this thread!

I just spotted that the Seattle PBS affiliate is showing Our Zoo starting tonight. I watched it a few months ago when it was on Vision, and thought it was delightful.

It tells the true story of the creation of the Chester Zoo. It focuses on how one man turns his post-WWI PTSD into a drive to create a new kind of zoo, one where animals have more freedom than in the traditional zoos of the time. It stars Lee Ingleby (aka John Bacchus from George Gently) and some other familiar faces including Anne Reid.

I highly recommend it.

shan

Did anyone else watch Mercy Street? I noticed that they had a digital premiere on PBS and Amazon instant video. I enjoyed tonight's episode.

Artemis@BC

I thought it (Mercy Street) was okay. The problem is, the American Civil War is my least favourite setting, ever, so I have a hard time getting past that. Plus the whole "we're incredibly historically accurate" filter that everything seemed to have. But those are my issues, not the show's. I'm not sure if I'll bother with it again.

Spareoom

I liked Mercy Street, although it suffered from that weird thing where the main character is probably the most dislikable among the entire bunch. Like, I'm sure the show is meant to show her growth and journey to becoming a more well-rounded person, but it bothered me that out of all the "non-villian" characters, she was the least compassionate among the bunch. Anyway, hopefully she makes some rapid growth. I really like the actors/actresses on this show so I hope it does well for their sake!

dardar1126

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/news/5-masterpiece-must-knows-2016/

News: 5 MASTERPIECE Must Knows for 2016
Want to be the first to know what's ahead for your favorite MASTERPIECE programs, and what new titles are on the way? MASTERPIECE recently spoke to the Television Critics Association in Los Angeles, and offered some don't-miss tidbits about returning and new series. We've collected it all into our Top 5 MASTERPIECE "Must Knows" for 2016!

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Mercy Street is being filmed in the Richmond area, and I know several actors and extras who are appearing in it - most of whom are young and youngish stage actors getting to experience this wonderful opportunity. :)

Some have also worked on AMC's Turn and the film Lincoln, also filmed here and near here.

Cachoo

I thought it (Mercy Street) was okay. The problem is, the American Civil War is my least favourite setting, ever, so I have a hard time getting past that. Plus the whole "we're incredibly historically accurate" filter that everything seemed to have. But those are my issues, not the show's. I'm not sure if I'll bother with it again.

I thought it was a lot of good actors in search of a decent script. I thought the writing was lacking. With so much quality programming streaming and on television I've often wondered what programs would suffer because good writers might be in short supply. I think "Mercy Street" is one of those programs. I'm willing to watch it again to see if it improves. I read somewhere that --not dozens---but hundreds of new programs will be available this year to stream or on television. That is wonderful but it is also a lot of competition for the best and brightest both on screen and off.

Artemis@BC

The Masterpiece line-up look dull. Grantchester???

I like Grantchester too. Well, I like Robson Green, and James Norton is fairly easy on the eyes as well.

The one about Mary Ann Cotton could be good too. As will Victoria, but that's not til next year.

centerstage01

I liked Mercy Street but it's going to take me a while to not think of it as Ted Mosby: Civil War Doctor and Morphine Addict.

viennese

wrecked
I loved The Bletchley Circle - whole idea of math and science-smart women, displaced after being on top-secret war projects, finding each other again after WWII.

Artemis@BC

Season Two of Grantchester starts tonight. It's not my all-time favourite Britmyst, but I liked it enough last season to check it out again. Largely because of Robson Green.

Reactions: Nan

Nan

Just me, retired
Season Two of Grantchester starts tonight. It's not my all-time favourite Britmyst, but I liked it enough last season to check it out again. Largely because of Robson Green.
Missed this...darn it. :mad: I'm going to have to see if they broadcast it again.

Artemis@BC

Hmm, I didn't notice the difference, I remember him being a strawberry blond.

It was some pretty dark subject matter. But I appreciated that they were able to put a different spin on the priests-abusing-kids theme that so many other shows have tackled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information