alilou's Adventures in Wonderland 2 - all over the map

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thanks @sk8pics. Yes it may be that he was just too used to it all. He said on two different occasions that "there's nothing to do in Wadi Rum" as if you had to be doing something all the time. Time to just be in that powerful environment would have been nice. But also there are lots of great places there to hike and he'd led us all on a long hike in Petra so he knew we were up for that kind of exploring. Oh well. I was what it was, and it was still amazing to be there even if it was a bit rushed.

skatesindreams

Thanks, for your fascinating and wise perspective; and for all the photographs which bring everything to such vivid life.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Latest blog post: Yeah Pyramids! :cheer: and :swoon:
and a 4500 year old boat, and the inscrutable Sphinx, and a magnificent museum, and the momentary terror and screaming excitement of being inside the Great Pyramid.

skatesindreams

You have shared (yet again) another place I would never be able to experience, without your narrative and photos.
Thank you, for being such a wonderful guide!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
My pleasure Sid. You know how much I love doing this.
Who's the gorgeous little poppet in your avatar? My niece and her husband are visiting and their 4 yr old just totally melts my heart.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
It was; and is.
Let me know what you think when you've finished, please.
@skatesindreams I loved it. I learned so much more about them. I knew that they had built dams to control the water but it was fascinating to see it all explained at the site. Also seeing them building a replica tomb in Cali was amazing - it explained it all so clearly. And I sure never knew about those gorgeous gardens and ornamental pools, although I did know they'd somehow controlled the water enough to create an oasis. Amazing people! Thanks so much for letting me know about it.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Gah, I forgot to post a link to the previous blog post, and now I have a new one. If any of you actually enjoy reading about my travels here are links to four :eek: articles!

This blog post

https://alisonanddon.com/2016/07/22/gratitude-guest-posts-and-an-interview/

contains links to two articles I wrote for other blogs, plus a link to an interview we did with Wordpress.

And this is the latest travel post - about Alexandria, Egypt, a fascinating city with an amazing library.
Alexandria: An Exotic Blend of Adversity and Affluence

https://alisonanddon.com/2016/07/28...y-and-affluence/comment-page-1/#comment-15376

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I love the lilies at this time of year - they are so huge and insistent and beautiful - Pay attention to me!
I was also impressed with the photo quality, but it was in pretty good light so that no doubt helped.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Just a note about the way tours can be structured: when I took the train across Canada, there was a group of 60 or 80 for whom Toronto to Jasper on the train was the one common part of a series of tours arranged through an Australian travel company. Because so many people were from Australia and were taking at least a month in North America, the company put together a series of options on either end, and the travelers could pick an choose from a travel menu. There were some people from Europe and North America who were "only" traveling for two weeks, but it was interesting to hear how the people would be together for one week, split apart for the next week or so, then converge for another segment. It was interesting to hear them compare notes on the train.

For example, when we got to Jasper, some people stayed on the train to Vancouver, others went on the Rocky Mountaineer, and other took a coach tour to Banff, Lake Louise, Kelowna, and another BC stop on their way to Vancouver, with overnights at small hotels and B&B's in each city. Then some from each leg were heading to Whistler from Vancouver, while others went south to Seattle or San Francisco, etc.

I've so enjoyed your posts from the Middle East, @alilou!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I may or may not have remembered from the Eddie Murphy movie "Boomerang," in which Halle Berry's young student would refer to her as "My Nubian Queen." :shuffle:

sk8pics

Great pics and memories, ali! I took a Nile cruise almost 20 years ago, Luxor to Aswan, I think. Very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information