A Divine Sport blog

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks as always for your take, @clairecloutier. I've attended U.S. Nationals live all-event ticket a couple of times, and Worlds 2003 ladies final in Washington D.C. (unfortunately I didn't have a ticket for pairs so I didn't witness in the arena the electrifying performance of Shen/Zhao. Everyone was still buzzing about it during the ladies' final).

Will you plan an overseas trip for Worlds sometime now that you've experienced what it's like? It's always so exciting in person. Hope Worlds comes back to North America/ U.S. soon. :)

From your Worlds pairs review:

My dominant impression, overall, is how very talented and good all the top teams are.
So often, the commentary in news articles and forums focuses on differences between the top pairs—how certain pairs are supposedly far stronger technically or artistically than others. But you know? Seeing them live, the truth is: They’re all great. All of the top teams have great speed, good partnering, some strong technical elements, and a terrific overall package on the ice. Fact is, they wouldn’t be where they are otherwise. Seeing them live, what impressed me most was not any one pair, but how great they are as a group.

:respec:

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Thanks @skatesindreams! I wish we could have seen Patrick's Chopin LP at its most glorious in Boston. Alas, it was not to be. But I'll treasure that 4CCs LP. :)

@aftershocks: Worlds was indeed amazing to see live! I'm glad you got to see Worlds 2003--that was a great event (even though you missed Shen/Zhao). I have dreams of Helsinki now ...We'll see! :)

Spun Silver

LOVE your wrapup, Claire! You've inspired me to go back and watch some programs I missed completely (eg, both of A/R's) and rewatch some I didnt see fully enough. I also loved all the categories. I had not realized Morozov choreographed so many outstanding pair programs this year (I didnt know he did pairs at all). Surprised to see S/M's 3Tw was not the highest scoring one of the year. Really? It was great to see so many pairs, choreographers, coaches and costume designers getting recognized. Your column was like a Grammy Awards for pairs. :)

So glad I&M's and S&H's FSs at Worlds, K/S at COC, and Vanessa James's catsuit were suitably appreciated. Excellent takes on S/M and Chinese pairs.

First rate, my dear. First rate!

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Yes!

I also enjoyed the Most Improved category. Congrats to Della Monica/Guarise for their gold medal! It's been a long haul for them but they vowed a long time ago to stick at it no matter what, and their work is finally payng off. I'm really happy about that. I'd have liked James and Cipres to squeeze in under that category, but I guess when you dont know from one comp to the next if they will even stay together....

clairecloutier

Thanks @dinakt! I couldn't agree with you more about Bazarova's triple loop exit. It's truly a thing of beauty--so original, and also quite difficult, I think. I hope they keep this element in their program next year. It could become a trademark move for them.

barbarafan

Yes!

I also enjoyed the Most Improved category. Congrats to Della Monica/Guarise for their gold medal! It's been a long haul for them but they vowed a long time ago to stick at it no matter what, and their work is finally payng off. I'm really happy about that. I'd have liked James and Cipres to squeeze in under that category, but I guess when you dont know from one comp to the next if they will even stay together....

or kill each other...I saw footage at one of the smaller competitions where they competed and they do not seem to even like each other. btw I did not like Vanessa's outfit with the cutouts...It was not flattering at all and the cut outs were distracting and not in a good way.
I really think something like that outfit needs a very unsexy form to look good on. someone small boned and very slender with long legs.

Spun Silver

or kill each other...I saw footage at one of the smaller competitions where they competed and they do not seem to even like each other. btw I did not like Vanessa's outfit with the cutouts...It was not flattering at all and the cut outs were distracting and not in a good way.
I really think something like that outfit needs a very unsexy form to look good on. someone small boned and very slender with long legs.
Honestly, I cannot fathom even the tiniest critique of Vanessa James's body. It is to die for! How is she not small-boned, slender, and long-legged? Oh well. I guess perceptions differ.

Spun Silver

Well done, Claire. My goodness, this is important work. I only wish you had been able to do it earlier. Will there be any more candidate interviews coming out in the next few days? I hope this will get widely circulated by people like @Visaliakid, @reut, etc.

Buchanan seems like a delightful guy with some good ideas. Yay, no more anonymous judging. Yay, ban cheating judges for life. Yay, good live streams for all comps.

His thoughts on the IJS are interesting. I think he's right in suggesting that skating threw out its popular 6.0 brand too rashly. But it doesnt sound like he wants to bring it back, just to simplify IJS so the judges themselves can actually understand and apply it properly. This paragraph was kind of scary.

Judges and IJS: “Say you were to sit 50 judges in a room and ask them: ‘Explain to me how the system works.’ They wouldn’t know. They wouldn’t have a clear understanding about the scale of values, impact of GOE, factoring … They would not know how the result was arrived at. And when we look at the sheer volume of information we expect them to consume–giving GOE, giving components–it’s all wonderful in theory. But it’s all too much.”

His comments on skater safety dont really add up to me. He wants to prevent injury but he doesnt want "artificial" limits. I am not sure one is possible without the other. Perhaps his hope is to find safer training methods or to discourage excess through education? but I think in the end, only limits will stop the "new quad kings" and others from hurting themselves. It's interesting too that he mentions spins but not quads. Have Julia or Mirai actually hurt themselves with their spins?

Thanks for doing this, Claire.

clairecloutier

Well done, Claire. My goodness, this is important work. I only wish you had been able to do it earlier. Will there be any more candidate interviews coming out in the next few days? I hope this will get widely circulated by people like @Visaliakid, @reut, etc.

Thank you @Spun Silver! I'm glad you liked the interview. Yes, I wish I'd been able to do it earlier. But, truthfully, the opportunity to do this interview only came my way a couple days ago, thanks to our friend @N_Halifax. At the moment, I don't have any interviews planned with the other candidates--like I said, this one came my way fortuitously. But who knows. Maybe I could try contacting the other candidates? Although time is running out before the Congress starts.

His comments on skater safety dont really add up to me. He wants to prevent injury but he doesnt want "artificial" limits. I am not sure one is possible without the other. Perhaps his hope is to find safer training methods or to discourage excess through education? but I think in the end, only limits will stop the "new quad kings" and others from hurting themselves. It's interesting too that he mentions spins but not quads. Have Julia or Mirai actually hurt themselves with their spins?

My feeling, talking to Chris, was that this particular question (quads/safety) is something that he maybe hasn't sat down and fully analyzed yet. In his part of the sport (synchro), I think spins are more important than jumps. So it's maybe not surprising that he focused more on spins in his answer. He indicated that they have some information suggesting that certain spin positions (Biellmanns, I believe, although he didn't clearly specify) may be harmful long-term. Yes, I tend to agree with you that quads may ultimately have to be limited to ensure safety. I think there is a certain resistance among skating professionals to the whole idea of limits--I read a similar sentiment expressed by Aleksandr Lakernik in another interview. No one wants to be seen as keeping the sport from moving forward athletically. But I would argue that limitations are already placed on jumps--i.e., no more than 2 uses of a particular jump in a program, no quad twists/throws allowed in pairs SPs as yet, and more. Limits are already in place, so why not extend them wisely and sparingly, as needed, to preserve health/prevent injury?

clairecloutier

Hey everyone! I am very excited to share my first interview with an actual current pairs team! It's with Marissa Castelli & Mervin Tran!

Interview with Castelli/Tran:
U.S. bronze medalists reveal new SP music; discuss plans for upcoming season

http://bit.ly/1TUzscO

It was such a thrill to talk with Marissa/Mervin for this interview! I tried to ask all-new questions--things that weren't covered much, or at all, in their TSL interview last summer. Oh, and they revealed their new SP music: "Fallin'", by Alicia Keys! (Which I'm personally very excited about.)

clairecloutier

I'm honored to say that my web site, A Divine Sport, is featured in the new issue of Artistika magazine, which was released today. Artistika is an online magazine that covers the arts and the artistic sports. This issue of Artistika includes my June interview with Castelli/Tran and a little interview with me (in which I opine on pairs skating :)). The issue also features interviews with Deniss Vassiljevs and Philip Harris, as well as several beautiful drawings by figure skating artist Yoshie Shibaike and gorgeous photos. There's too much good stuff to miss here--do check it out! http://artistika-2.instantmagazine.com/artistika-magazine/no-2

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information