1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

74th Golden Globe Awards & red carpet arrivals

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Jan 8, 2017.

1. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Oh lots of people complained about that.

VIETgrlTerifa likes this.
  2. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Okay. All I heard was approval.

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

They sure did. It was quite visible, IMO.

And that's what I hear for Streep except from Trump fans and Trump himself. Probably the same people who hated that people brought up race issues for the Oscars.

I guess the difference here is that it's easier notice in this incident since Streep is just one target while #OscarsoWhite is a bit more intangible.

4. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

5. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Liberals tend to enjoy it (because 99% of the time actors speak about liberals causes) while conservatives tend to loathe it. So if you haven't heard criticisms--past or current--of Hollywood using their soapboxes to promote certain views, you aren't listening to anything beyond liberal commentators. It's a big bugaboo for non-liberals.

6. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying. This incident on Jimmy Fallon's show appears to have taken place in September 2016, well before election day and aftermath. I am not all in on everything Jimmy Fallon does and says simply because he's a comedian. However, I don't see the actual connection between this incident and the Golden Globes, aside from the fact that Jimmy Fallon hosted the Globes. If you are attempting to equate what Fallon as a comedian did on this one occasion on his show, with the despicable behavior that Donald Trump engaged in throughout the campaign, IMO you are off-base.

Quite often the intersection between comedy and politics (entertainment and politics, news and entertainment) crosses the line in our present day culture. And thus, that's to a certain degree one of the reasons how we've ended up with Donald Trump as U.S. Prez in the first place. Still, why should Fallon be specifically blamed?

7. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

IIRC, it was also the focus of the Oscars themselves, over and over again, including the host's opening spiel. I remember fast forwarding through the show, and coming back to it again and again.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Tom Hiddleston has apologized for the 'inelegant' way he expressed himself.
    As far as celebrity apologies go, this is a fairly decent one - so often they apologize for how people were offended, but he is taking responsibility for how things were said, and also manages to bring attention to wonderful organizations.

aemeraldrainc likes this.
  9. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Or for months. It really does that right?

olympic likes this.
  10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Yes. It narrates a woman's reaction to sexual violence in a much different way than I've ever seen before. Groundbreaking.

-----

To all -

With regard to Streep's speech, it seems her detractors say that Hollywood should stay out of politics.

My POV is that of a 47 year old man. I was a child in the 70s, a teen in the 80s, young adult in the 90s. My family is super-religious. For decades, I had a front-row seat to Sunday morning gospel hour and radio, and televangelists (as entertainers of sorts) dressed to the 9's, using TV and radio to spew their viewpoints against [fill in the blank - Carter, Clinton, liberals in general, San Francisco, feminists, gays, doctors providing health care to women]. The ones I knew and saw on TV weren't exactly poor or in touch w/ the common folk. So, my philosophy was - if they are allowed to use their stage or pulpit to speak out about politics, which incidentally is a poor mix with religion, why can't actors???

icecat, orbitz7391, Mozart and 5 others like this.
  11. Katha

Katha Well-Known Member

Yes, this is where the argument of detractors is on thinnest ground IMO. It's certainly her right to speak out on politics, and proclaiming that her status as an actor should prevent her from giving her opinion is the most misguided angle here IMO. All sorts of people who aren't career politicians give semi-public opinions on politics all of the time, be they famous or not. It's not like anyone has to agree with her. I'm sure not everyone in that room during the ceremony agreed with her either, but you haven't seen any of her fellow actors come out and say that she shouldn't have held that speech.

Now, there's the notion that Hollywood is "hostile" to Republicans or whatever, but that hasn't stopped people like Bruce Willis or Vince Vaughn from speaking openly about their political beliefs. As is their right. I've seen talk that Vaughn and Gibson looked rather serious during her speech, for example, though of course the internet's idea that you can judge what people are thinking by looking at a few seconds in a reaction shot is silly. And who knows, perhaps they disagreed. But my point is, even if that's the case, they still listened to what she had to say attentively, they didn't boo her, they didn't interrupt her, and afterwards they didn't come out and proclaim that she shouldn't have held it at all. Presumably because they respect that it is her good right to publicly talk about her political opinions. She didn't force anyone to fall in line with her.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    orbitz7391, Aussie Willy and Vash01 like this.
  12. Katha

Katha Well-Known Member

Double post

13. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I've been intrigued by the discussion of the film Elle - but googling around it doesn't seem that it will be released in the UK until March. Is it already out in the US?

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

Yes. Thinking of seeing it today after work.

my little pony and antmanb like this.
  15. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C

Rosie Perez said something similar on CNN last night. It's about expressing her opinion- she has the same rights as people on social media expressing themselves publicly. If they have the right of free speech, why can't actors and celebrities have the same rights? Besides, many celebrities (except you know who) express themselves rather well. She (applies to Rosie and Meryl both) was not telling others not to express Their opinions. She was not saying You must agree with me.

16. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

Totally agree with you. I don't see it as any different from those politicians who can't separate their religion from their job as a politician. Of course we are a society is made of a variety of opinions and perceptions which influence our decision making. But politicians who play political football with people lives (thinking of the gay marriage issue in particular which is still an issue here), then anyone who does have a platform where they might get a chance to highlight an issue which does impact on society I have no problem with. And when they do it in such an intelligent and articulate way.

On the other hand, the person who the speech was directed at has responded in his usual childish way.

skatesindreams and ballettmaus like this.
  17. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree. Isabelle Huppert was brilliant. One of those performances where she has a big impact without having to do a lot of histrionics.

olympic likes this.
  18. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Good grief. I didn't even know this caused a blowup until I read this post! What the hell? There was nothing to apologize for!

Vash01, oleada, smurfy and 1 other person like this.
  19. IceAlisa

I did make it to see Elle tonight @antmanb @olympic

I thought it was worthwhile, especially because of Isabelle Huppert's amazing performance.

This review summarized it for me, excepting that I am totally buying the men in her life. I didn't feel they were manufactured, at least not all of them. http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/27/elle-movie-review/

antmanb and olympic like this.
  20. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I just saw Elle and I am still digesting it. I think Isabelle Huppert's performance was absolutely stunning here. I don't know if she'll win the Oscar because this is not the type of role or performance that usually wins the Oscar. My money is on Emma Stone just because she has the young, pretty, charming factor (not to take away from her own performance but those three factors go further than giving layered and complex performances). That said, the movie is worth the watch just to see Huppert doing what she does best. Amazing that it's the same director who directed Showgirls. Not amazing with the actual film itself because I see some exploitative similarities (but the use of that in Elle has much more of a point...though I've seen Showgirls argued to be a hidden genius work), but amazing in that we see how a great actor who is confident in her performance can do to really execute what the director is going for. I wonder if he'll do another American film or at least an English-language film as a follow-up. I have to watch Natalie Portman in Jackie and a few other performances to see who would be my personal pick.

I agree with the Denver Post article linked by @IceAlisa and I also agree that I found the men to be believable to a point...I guess more believable than the critic thought.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Vash01 and IceAlisa like this.
  21. IceAlisa

In my head Isabelle Huppert has already won an Oscar.

VIETgrlTerifa likes this.
  22. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^I am glad that you both were as mesmerized as I was about the movie and Huppert's performance

IceAlisa likes this.
  23. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C

I liked her gown. Her speech was much more important though.