1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

74th Golden Globe Awards & red carpet arrivals

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C

When you are fighting evil and/for the safety of our country and the world, every moment is the right moment. You can't sit and wait wondering whether this is the right place or not. Meryl had the perfect opportunity to remind people what Trump was during the elections and why they need to speak up.

2. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Nothing really wowed me fashion wise tonight.

Lots of black/white/yellow :yawn:

Nicole Kidman gets my award for worst dressed. :yikes:

Best dressed for me were Evan Rachel Wood in a beautifully tailored suit, Lily Collins :swoon:, Emma Stone and Jessica Chastain.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    oleada, IceAlisa and aftershocks like this.
  3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

Thanks for the recap @Mayra
    Will look for a slideshow.
    ETA: saw some pictures. I did like Lily Collins' dress although normally it's not my cup of tea with all the pink and lace and ruffles.

But what put it together for me was the pale skin and the blood red lips--gave this pwecious pwincess dress the edge it needed.

A well taylored tux on a woman is very sexy IMO.

And rounding out my best dressed is Brad Pitt. He looked good.

Mayra likes this.
  4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Exactly. And here's RevDaniel's tweet:

RevDaniel‏@RevDaniel
    If Dems lost the election by reminding people that it's wrong to mock the disabled, then America itself was lost long before the election.

Well said! :respec:

5. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Not a popular opinion, but I'm really sick and tired of celebrities--even though they have the absolute right to do so--spouting off their political views, whether I agree with them or not (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't). They're very good at their craft, as is a surgeon, an airline pilot, or the guy who fixes my car, but do I want to hear their opinions 24/7? No. They're not any more clever or profound than the next person. Their public activism, which again is their right, really distracts me from their jobs as actors and entertainers--to the point that I'm not terribly interested in watching them perform their craft.

chantilly and JJH like this.
  6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It depends. Some people think art is about expression and commentary. Artists can't really be separated from their expression and their art isn't created in a vacuum isolated from their real life points-of-view which of course is influenced by their politics and what-not. But then, I've always been of the opinion that everyone is political and every opinion they have or viewpoint they have on any subject is a window into their character and what they ultimately stand for, whether they want that part of themselves exposed to or not.

Think about musicians whose music or expression is so in-tuned to the personality of the individual that of course their feelings on many subjects will come out, especially if they see their work being bringing attention to important causes and viewpoints.

I often hear every Tom, Dick, and Harry express their political views, especially online. I mean the only difference between celebrities and other people is that celebrities have a bigger platform.

Kasey likes this.
  7. aftershocks

Eh, for me it depends on who the celeb is, and what exactly they are saying or advocating for. It also depends on whether they are being genuine, or whether they are pandering a la the biggest celebrity of them all, Donald Trump!

Once again, I think it is a mistake to lump all actors in the category of mindless, elitist 'celebrities.' Not even all figure skating fans should be lumped into one monolithic category.

I love Susan Sarandon, but I totally disagreed with her stance on Bernie. We all can and will continue to disagree on things. The problem comes when we don't accept what the actual points of disagreement truly are, and instead purposely miss the substantive response that clearly dismantles the foundation of the point for example that @Matryeshka initially made. There's no problem with feeling it wasn't the right forum for speaking out. Plenty of posters have pointed out though that there is no 'appropriate forum' for speaking out in an environment of fear and bullying.

I think Meryl Streep was brave and eloquent. A lot of people may feel exactly like Meryl but be unable to find the words, or feel that they aren't in a position to speak their mind. I'm glad that Meryl is someone who possesses the character, substance, and balls to speak up at a time like this. Meryl has not been someone who has been going around carrying politics on her sleeve either. This siutation truthfully transcends divisive politics, but many conservatives and Republicans apparently haven't woken up to that fact.

Vash01 likes this.
  8. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

VIETgrlTerifa, I think you have a good point. For me, I love film because it has a magic to it. But when I sit there in the theater (or watch a TV program), I'm thinking: oh, there's that actor who has a thing about ... fill in the blank, and then the magic starts disappearing. Musicians and visual artists, for sure, draw upon their personality for performance and expression, but I still have to work out that application to actors, who are portraying personalities who are not them.

And yes, celebrities have a huge platform, which is completely out of proportion to their relevance in the world.

HeatherC, VIETgrlTerifa and JJH like this.
  9. aftershocks

Interesting. For me, it depends solely upon how good an actor the individual is, and how good the story the film depicts is, and how well the film is executed.

Meryl has been sooo good for so many years that some may be so familiar with her that they see her now as Great Actress portraying Margaret Thatcher or Great Actress portraying Diva B**ch fashion mag editor. For me, I see Meryl Streep in a role and I get lost in the truth of the character she is portraying. I'm still amazed by how fully Meryl is able to inhabit and become her characters. There's no danger of the 'magic' Meryl can wrought on the screen ever fading for me.

I actually do not see Meryl Streep or Jeff Bridges for example, as 'celebrities.' They are both great actors who have given a lot to their craft, to their peers, and to humanity, both on and off screen.

Vash01, Japanfan and Asli like this.
  10. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Whoohoo Elle won ?! And Huppert too ? Cool :)

11. IceAlisa

I want to see Elle.

olympic likes this.
  12. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Tom Hiddleston's mentioning South Sudan in his speech was seen as self-serving. This was not about charity work that should be done discreetly. The whole point of an actor being a UNICEF ambassador is to attract attention to situations like that in Sudan at every opportunity. The Golden Globes ceremony is the biggest stage that Tom Hiddleston can have, so it was his duty to mention it. Especially since The Night Manager was about arms trade.

13. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

At least there was a connection between The Night Manager and his story about South Sudan. If he started carrying on about Brexit I probably would have turned off the TV immediately and have read a book.

To change the subject, Sunny Pawal should get a supporting actor nod. That little boy was the best part of Lion.

14. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

What kind of world would it be if artists didn't speak out against conservatives? Artists should be the avant-garde for society to go forward and if anything Hollywood is one of the most conservative film industries in a democratic country.

As for Meryl Streep, she was receiving an honorary award for her life achievements and she has a right to decide what her life is all about. As a legend in the industry and a role model for many, she can be allowed to give two words of advice. And that was an inspiring speech.

15. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Meryl emphasized the responsibility (the exact word she used) that people with more power and status have to speak out. And I applaud her for that.

She delivered a very important message that spoke to the heart in noting that disrespect breeds more of itself, just as violence begets violence. Also, the Foreign Press stage was very appropriate for her message, as she is calling for the press to do its job and "hold power accountable" in the next four years.

Some people who heard her message may not otherwise be politically inclined, which could be important.

I was about 13 years old when Marlon Brando refused his Oscar for The Godfather to protest Hollywood's discrimination against native Americans. Of course it later turned out that the supposedly Native American woman he gave the stage to was not really Native American at all, which made a farce of the whole thing and merely reinforced the discrimination it was drawing attention to.

Nonetheless, that message was very very powerful to me and exerted a strong influence on my worldview. Especially given that I was living in a northern Canadian community with a large and disenfranchised Indigenous population. There was so much racism against them, and Brando helped me to identify it for what it was.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Vash01 and aftershocks like this.
  16. aftershocks

Backstage press interview with the cast of The Crown. They are now filming the second season, and have plans with Netflix to go further.

A very funny anecdote about Winston Churchill told by John Lithgow at the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDQLNMZv7lA :D

17. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I saw it and was really disturbed by it, nearly left before the end to tell the truth. She's amazing in this movie (like in about every movie she ever made) still I nearly didn't recognise her there. The movie I won't see again I think.

18. IceAlisa

I've heard that it's disturbing.

19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

I am watching the GGs at the moment. Steve Carrell and Kristen Wigg - that was hysterical.

Domshabfan likes this.
  20. BittyBug

BittyBug Living in a Kleptocracy

Well you certainly saw that coming. :D

21. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Emma Stone looked PERFECT. As did Reese Witherspoon (and I'm not a fan of yellow in general).

WTH is going on with Nicole Kidman's hair? Why does it always look like she used a box of cheap drugstore color on it? If she won't go back to being a redhead, she could at least have a shade of blonde that isn't drab and lifeless.

clairecloutier likes this.
  22. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Well, maybe we'd have a world where the arts are for everyone and don't help to polarize people even further.

23. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I hope the arts are for everyone. People really need to understand that the polarization in this country is one of the biggest threats we face.

I haven't heard Meryl Streep's remarks but am curious. She's a smart woman; was she really putting down a segment of the population rather than speaking to values that she feels are being ignored?

24. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Here's her speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxyGmyEby40

BlueRidge likes this.
  25. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C

Trying to think of best and worst dressed (mostly actresses):

Best:

Emma Stone
    Meryl Streep
    Michelle Williams- loved the black choker on her flowery dress
    Gold gown on woman who was nominated for 'Confirmation' and who worked for the Obama admin.
    Jessica Chastain's blue
    Brie Larson's red dress

Isabelle Hupert- loved the dress but didn't care for her speech, and her standing up earlier while the producer of 'Elle' was giving his acceptance speech.

Nicole Kidman's dress was beautiful but her hair was not. Her makeup looked weird too.

Men-
    Ryan Gosling. He is one of the most handsome men and his suit set him apart from the rest

Loved how little Sunny Pawar looked in a tuxedo. He and Dev Patel seemed to have the exact same design, as if to remind the audience that they played the same character.

Worst:

Viola Davis's yellow and Reese W.'s yellow. Yellow is a difficult color to wear and for an evening event I don't really like it. Plus those dresses did nothing for Ms. Davis and Ms. Witherspoon.

Kendra Perkins's gray dress was ugly, IMO

I didn't care for Jessica Biel's black/white dress that was open to the waist.

The 'Crown' actress who won had on a beautiful pink gown but she seemed to have difficulty managing it.

Evan Rachel Wood- why was she dressed like a man?

26. Sylvia

Sylvia Still recovering from Worlds...

http://www.eonline.com/news/820502/...es-are-not-a-requirement-at-the-golden-globes
    At the same time, the actress wanted to remind young women watching that it's more than okay to dress a little different.

"This is my third nomination and I've been to the Golden Globes six times," Evan explained to E! News' Ryan Seacrest. "I've worn a dress every single time and I love dresses. I'm not trying to protest dresses but I wanted to make sure young girls and women know that it's not a requirement."

27. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that only men could wear pants. What is this, the 1800s?:rolleyes: I thought she looked fab; her suit was tailored beautifully. Octavia Butler, on the other hand, was an example on how not to wear a tux.

I also disagree about Viola. The bright yellow looked great on her, and she looked stylish and elegant. The yellow suits her coloring much more than Reese's.

28. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I do not believe anyone who has "criticized" Streep posed this as a reason. It was more about whether the GG is the appropriate forum to address one's political concerns.

29. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I liked both yellow dresses, and I'm not a fan of yellow in general. I liked the whimsy of Emma Stone's dress, but she's so pale that it washed her out.
    For me the best of the night was Bree Larson's red dress. It was nice to see some colour in the sea of black, white and nude dresses.

Mayra likes this.
  30. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

ah okay, I've just been skimming stuff, but it seemed like the idea that it would be more elite insults to the right seemed to be incorporated into that concern about whether it was an appropriate venue.