1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

74th Golden Globe Awards & red carpet arrivals

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Still recovering from Worlds...

http://www.goldenglobes.com

I believe the televised red carpet/pre-show festivities start around 6 pm Eastern?

NBC's GG Awards ceremony broadcast starts at 8 pm.

I've copied out the film nominations below; TV nominations are listed here: http://www.indiewire.com/2016/12/golden-globes-2017-tv-nominations-list-1201756785/

(*WINNERS* edited in below after the fact)

Best Motion Picture — Drama
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Hell or High Water
    Lion
    Manchester by the Sea
    Moonlight *WINNER*

Best Motion Picture — Musical or Comedy
    20th Century Women
    Deadpool
    Florence Foster Jenkins
    La La Land *WINNER*
    Sing Street

Best Director — Motion Picture
    Damien Chazelle, La La Land *WINNER*
    Tom Ford, Nocturnal Animals
    Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
    Barry Jenkins, Moonlight
    Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture — Drama
    Amy Adams, Arrival
    Jessica Chastain, Miss Sloane
    Isabelle Huppert, Elle *WINNER*
    Ruth Negga, Loving
    Natalie Portman, Jackie

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture — Drama
    Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea *WINNER*
    Joel Edgerton, Loving
    Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
    Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic
    Denzel Washington, Fences

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture — Comedy or Musical
    Colin Farrell, The Lobster
    Ryan Gosling, La La Land *WINNER*
    Hugh Grant, Florence Foster Jenkins
    Jonah Hill, War Dogs
    Ryan Reynolds, Deadpool

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture — Comedy or Musical
    Annette Bening, 20th Century Women
    Lily Collins, Rules Don’t Apply
    Hailee Steinfeld, The Edge of Seventeen
    Emma Stone, La La Land *WINNER*
    Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
    Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
    Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water
    Simon Helberg, Florence Foster Jenkins
    Dev Patel, Lion
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Nocturnal Animals *WINNER*

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
    Viola Davis, Fences *WINNER*
    Naomie Harris, Moonlight
    Nicole Kidman, Lion
    Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures
    Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea

Best Motion Picture — Foreign Language
    Divines (France)
    Elle (France) *WINNER*
    Neruda (Chile)
    The Salesman (Iran / France)
    Toni Erdmann (Germany)

Best Motion Picture — Animated
    Kubo and the Two Strings
    Moana
    My Life as a Zucchini
    Sing
    Zootopia *WINNER*

Best Screenplay — Motion Picture
    Damien Chazelle, La La Land *WINNER*
    Tom Ford, Nocturnal Animals
    Barry Jenkins, Moonlight
    Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester By the Sea
    Taylor Sheridan, Hell or High Water

Best Original Score — Motion Picture
    Nicholas Britell, Moonlight
    Justin Hurwitz, La La Land *WINNER*
    Jóhann Jóhannsson, Arrival
    Volker Bertelmann and Dustin O’Halloran, Lion
    Benjamin Wallfisch, Pharrell Williams, and Hans Zimmer, Hidden Figures

Best Original Song — Motion Picture
    "City of Stars" (Justin Hurwitz, Pasek and Paul) - La La Land *WINNER*
    "Can't Stop the Feeling!" (Max Martin, Shellback, Justin Timberlake) - Trolls
    "Faith" (Ryan Tedder, Stevie Wonder, Francis Farewell Starlite) - Sing
    "Gold" (Stephen Gaghan, Danger Mouse, Daniel Pemberton, Iggy Pop) - Gold
    "How Far I'll Go" (Opetaia Foa'i, Mark Mancina, Lin-Manuel Miranda) - Moana

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Artistic Skaters, Coco and nlloyd like this.
  2. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I've seen only half of the best picture nominees, so I'm not sure which movie to root for. I loved Lion, but I don't think that's a contender.

I liked Sing Street, but thought La La Land was better. I didn't like Florence Foster Jenkins very much and haven't seen Deadpool or 20th Century Women. I wish Edge of Seventeen had been nominated because I preferred it to all the nominated comedies/musicals I've seen. I loved Hailee Steinfeld in that movie, but I'm pretty sure Emma Stone will win if not Meryl Streep.

Both Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone have received rave reviews for La La Land. I thought they were good (though not great singers), but I think they've both been better in other films and their performances didn't scream "Oscar" or "Golden Globe" to me. But maybe you get extra credit if you haven't won before and are in a winning movie.

I thought Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman were both fantastic in Lion, but I don't expect either of them to win.

E! has the red carpet on now.

3. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

I have seen none of these movies - although I do want to see La La Land, Manchester by the Sea, Lion, Florence Foster Jenkins, and Moonlight. They look interesting.

The only nominated TV shows I have seen are "The People vs. O.J. Simpson" and "This Is Us". There is simply too much TV for me to catch up on what I know about on my DVR.

So far the E! coverage is pretty typical. Hoping things get more interesting soon.

4. Allskate

Lily Collins has a very pretty gown, but she looks so pale, especially with the dark lipstick. (I didn't see her movie.)

I prefer Amy Adams in a color other than black. Her dress is just okay. (I saw Arrival. Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. Think she's really talented.)

Drew Barrymore's dress is very Drew. Not my thing, but I guess it works for her.

5. ilovepaydays

Very few people can pull off the color that Natalie Portman is wearing. She is one of them.

6. Allskate

Natalie Portman looking very pregnant. I don't like the color of her gown, but I never like that color. (I thought she did a really good job in "Jackie," though I didn't love the movie.)

That color works for Carrie Underwood, but I don't love all the ruffles. I'm glad they're only on top.

The men really do have it easier. Hugh Grant just has the standard tux. (He's getting a lot of hype for Florence Foster Jenkins, but preferred Dev Patel.)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  7. ilovepaydays

What's with Michelle Williams' bowtie necklace? Is that seriously just a ribbon?

8. Allskate

Michelle Williams. The dress is very demure. Don't love the ribbon choker. (I thought she was great in Manchester By the Sea, and I really liked the movie. Her role is very small, but she may still win. I did think Nicole Kidman was really good, too, though.)

ETA:
    I think so. The outfit is like prairie chic. Not my taste.

I think Michelle Williams loaned her ribbon to Sienna Miller for her hair.

And now Andrew Garfield in the standard tux. Didn't see his movie.

Don't love Jessica Chastain's hair -- too slick and harsh. But I like the color of her gown.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  9. ilovepaydays

Mandy Moore has beat Jessica Biel in the navel neckline dress category - BY A LOT.

Everything time I see Jessica Biel, I :lol: that she is the only one from 7th Heaven that has ever gotten any other work. And something tells me that is basically because she left after what, the 4th season?

10. ilovepaydays

Has Winona Ryder aged at all?

I believe D&G has done much better dresses than what Kerry Washington is wearing. Confirmation was a pretty good HBO movie.

11. Allskate

Yep. A lot! It's a good thing her "globes" aren't that big. :lol: I really like "This is Us," so I"m glad the show is getting some love.

Apparently only two of us here are watching the red carpet. :lol: I'm glad they show the Awards broadcast live on the West Coast.

I think Kerry Washington looks good, though she's worn better dresses. Didn't see her show.

I missed "Loving" in theaters. It was here and gone so soon. I hope it's out on a DVD soon. I really want to see it.

Ryan Reynolds has a bow tie that was made out of the same material as Michelle's choker. No Blake? I totally missed Deadpool.

12. Allskate

I love that Crissy Teigen was willing to sit on the steps on the red carpet for her interview with John Legend (who I really liked in La La Land) and Anthony Anderson. :lol: So sweet that Anthony brought his kids.

That ring Octavia Spencer is wearing is huge. :eek: But her outfit is kind of blah. (I really want to see Hidden Figures.)

I like the dress Julia Louis Dreyffus is wearing. Fun, but chic.

Janell Monae's dress is really fun, too.

13. ilovepaydays

Is metallic a theme tonight?

If you are a woman and you are is going to wear a tux to the Golden Globes red carpet, Octavia Spencer's way is not the way to do it.

Really, Pharrell Williams? That's all I have to say about his tux. Or whatever that is.

The Golden Globes are competing with what (according to Twitter) was a pretty epic NFL Wild Card Sunday. :lol:

Admin question: Will the title of this thread change when the Golden Globes?

I am a big fan of "true story" movies that are done well. Because I am a nerd.

Allskate likes this.
  14. Allskate

ITA. It looked drab. Evan Rachel Wood was much more chic in her suit.

Nicole Kidman's dress isn't my cup of tea. (I'm not a fan of nude dresses -- skating or otherwise.) But she was really good in Lion.

Is Matt's mustache for a movie? I like Matt Damon, but I think Casey Affleck did a great job in Manchester by the Sea, so I'm kind of glad Matt couldn't film that part. Glad he produced the movie and helped get it made.

15. ilovepaydays

Ryan Gosling is showing a clinic on how a man should wear a cream colored suit.

Emma Stone looks beautiful. Her necklace and dress looks great with her skin and hair.

16. Allskate

Emma Stone's choker is much nicer than the one Michelle Williams is wearing. ;) That dress looks really good on her.

17. honey

honey Well-Known Member

Nicole Kidman looks insane. Not in the good way.

Emma stone looks nice, but the dress is a little safe. I prefer safe to insane though.

I don't love the super low neckline with unsupported tatas on so many tonight. Sag doesn't look great.

I LOVE Janelle Monae's look! This is just wacky enough.

Kerry Washington is absolutely gorgeous but her dress is not.

18. Allskate

Haille Steinfeld's dress is pretty, but I would have liked to see her in something more fun or bright. (I loved her in "Edge of Seventeen." She was fabulous and so was the movie.)

19. ilovepaydays

WAIT! - the "The Edge of Seventeen" movie has nothing to do with Stevie Nicks? Or even rock music? I am dorkier than I thought.

20. Allskate

Great opening! I loved the nod to La La Land. I didn't get all the reference since I haven't seen a bunch of the movies and shows that are nominated. But it was fun. Ryan Gosling clearly got a kick out of it.

People who haven't seen La La Land might have been a little confused, but I really enjoyed it.

Best Supporting Actor in a Movie goes to Aaron Taylor Johnson in Noctural Animals. I never even heard of him before his nomination.

21. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Chokers are really in right now

Emma Stone looks gorgeous. But maybe a bit pale for her?

22. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I really liked this year's red carpet better than last year or the year before--more color, a lot of plunges but aside from that, more creative in terms of different types of looks.

Since I've only seen about 10% of what's been nominated, and maybe heard of half (not a good year for me in getting to see movies) I'm rooting based solely on looks and outfit. And Anna Kendrick, because she is awesome who should win all the categories just for being Anna Kendrick.

23. Allskate

Best actor in a tv drama goes to Billy Bob Thornton in Goliath. A friend of mine keeps telling me to watch that Amazon series.

Priyanka Chopra is going to be in Baywatch? (She looks fabulous.)

I really like Anna Kendrick, too. I don't think is nominated this year, but at least she's presenting.

24. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

It might look different in person. Back when E! Red Carpet would actually make insightful comments about what the Glitterati wore, I always appreciated it when they would talk about the differences in person versus on TV.

25. ilovepaydays

Billy Bob Thornton dedicates his Golden Globe to a PA and his on set team. That was class act of him!

They are doing a Baywatch movie? :confused: :rolleyes: :shuffle:

26. Allskate

I didn't find Florence Foster Jenkins to be funny. It wasn't a situation where you were laughing with someone; instead you were laughing at a woman suffering from dementia. Good cast, though.

Best Actress in a comedy series goes Tracy Ellis Ross! Yay! I thought for sure that Julia Louis Drefuss would win again.

Best Comedy goes to Atlanta, which I have never seen. "We didn't think anyone was going to like the show, so thanks." :lol:

27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Well Donald Glover (rapper and comedian?) whose Wu-Tang Clan name generator alias is Childish Gambino just gave his acceptance speech for Atlanta. I've never seen the show, and I didn't know anything about Glover until I saw this episode of The Hollywood Reporter online, posted on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU1sTWIbw_Y

That's how I learned about the Wu-Tang name generator website. :D

Anyway, I haven't seen most of the movies and tv shows that are up for awards either. I'll catch up with some movies and tv shows via online and DVD/Blu-Ray.

28. Allskate

Reese's necklace looks heavy.

Sarah Paulson wins the first of the many awards the O.J. Simpson series is likely to win tonight. I wonder if O.J. watched the series.

29. ilovepaydays

Sarah Paulson was SUPERB in People vs. O.J. Simpson. I don't know why David Schwimmer wasn't nominated but John Travolta was.

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that whole O.J. crime/trial/tragedy spawned numerous television series, truth & lies, movie concepts, cultural misunderstandings & misinterpretations, books, misery for many, and loads of money for some ...

The documentary O.J. Made in America was amazing and unrelenting.

Wow, I thought for sure that Sterling K. Brown would win for O.J. Simpson crime series. But no, yet again another award for competent and funny but endlessly winning Hugh Laurie. If Laurie is up for anything, he wins. :duh: