1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

2017 US Adult Nationals

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Jan 3, 2017.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Anyone here competing at this thing?

For nationals, does the attached mean that I need to have passed the bronze FS test in order to compete at bronze, or that I can have passed the pre-bronze FS test and compete at bronze? It says “highest free skate test”, but I thought I had to pass the bronze FS to compete, so now I'm unsure.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2016-2017 Adult Singles Eligibility Chart V1 07-07-16.pdf

I ask because the deadline to enter is Feb 1st, and I'd need to have passed the FS test by that date in order to compete - but I'd been planning to take the test Feb 27th. I didn't realize the entries were due so early! I'd have to test 1/30, which I suppose I can do, but would rather not if I can avoid it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Yes, you need to have passed the Bronze (or Preliminary) FS test by the deadline in order to compete in Bronze Free Skating.

3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Believe some of the smaller events allow you to skate up (I know I did first time I skated silver at the State Games a few years ago), but Nationals and Sectionals require you to pass the actual FS test in order to compete at the corresponding level.

4. GarrAarghHrumph

I'll at least be able to do sectionals. I don't think I'll pass the bronze FS test on time to be able to do nationals.

5. purple skates

purple skates Shadow Dancing

Generally (because it's up to the LOC), for open events at sectionals you can skate up. For championship events at sectionals and for all events at Nationals, you can't skate up.

I'm not sure yet if I am going. I've been off ice again for a while, except for synchro, and if I am going I need to get my butt in gear. My SIL lives there, which is the only reason I'm considering it (so that DH can visit with her).

6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

AN is driving distance for me this year, so I've been thinking of going.

However I have another commitment or two at home that weekend.

The tentative schedule online suggests that one of the events I would enter will take place Friday, so I could do that. But should I register and risk the chance they'll end up rescheduling it for Saturday or Sunday?

Also at Adult Easterns both events I'd want to do are tentatively expected to be Friday evening. I would be able to stay till Saturday, but not Sunday. Should I sign up for that one instead?

7. GarrAarghHrumph

The skating club which is running Easterns is EXTREMELY organized. Their tests tend to run like clockwork, and the last time they ran adult sectionals, the events happened on the day, and pretty much at the exact time listed, if that helps in your decision. Not that things can't go awry - just that with this club, they don't tend to.

gkelly likes this.
  8. Theoreticalgirl

Theoreticalgirl your faves are problematic

Haven't officially entered my registration yet for either Easterns or Nationals; I can't decide on what level I want to skate at.

9. GarrAarghHrumph

I haven't entered yet, but I plan to for Easterns.

10. purple skates

What level are you?

11. LilJen

LilJen Reaching out with my hand sensitively

If you have passed Pre-Bronze in DANCE, you can compete in the interp (or whatever it's called--artistic?) competition. Shame on USFS for not showing that bit!

Grrr, I just saw this wrt light/dramatic entertainment qualifying. After May 1, 2017, you will have to pass the FREE DANCE tests, not pattern dance tests, to qualify to skate these. (Or Bronze FS, of course.) Thanks for adding barriers to competition, USFS :mad: So this is the last year that you can qualify to Adult Nats based on pattern dance tests. (Dance judges aren't very easy to come by in my area. Dance partners? HA. Nonexistent. Fortunately there's solo dance.)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    purple skates likes this.
  12. overedge

overedge Janny uber

This seems kind of strange. Wouldn't the pattern dance requirement be enough to determine the general skating skills that a skater would have at those levels?

13. LilJen

Apparently not. Or this is USFS's way of getting more people into solo dance?? I don't know; it makes no sense. (At least solo Juv is the first level on this track, and the requirements aren't too odious. Still.)

14. GarrAarghHrumph

I think you can test your free dance with your coach. Is that the case? I saw someone test it with their coach, but I'm not sure if there are rules about the level of the partner or etc.

Is testing a free dance at the adult level even all that common? I've only see ONE free dance tested at the adult level ever. Is it more common elsewhere?

15. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Several adult dancers in my area have passed FD tests, with their coach as partner. I would think PD tests are more precise and harder to pass than FD tests, but maybe the point of the rule change is that FD is considered equivalent to FS...i.e. Bronze FS or Bronze FD. I would be curious as to what prompted the rule change.

16. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I don't know what prompted the rule change.

It works for me: My dance coach wanted me to test Fourteenstep this winter. I said I wasn't ready to try because under the current rules if I pass one pre-silver dance, even at Masters passing standard, I would be required to compete adult silver in the entertainment events. If I wait till next year, I can stay in bronze where I really belong.

But I do see how not letting people use pattern dances as a prerequisite to entry especially at the first levels shuts some people out entirely.

17. GarrAarghHrumph

I'm also personally good with the change, because like you, I'd need to compete at silver level for entertainment, when I'm really more like bronze.

18. Theoreticalgirl

Technically Adult Gold, but my axel isn't as consistent as I'd like it to be right now (on top of recovering from an injury), so I am thinking of skating down to Silver. My only gripe about Silver is that I don't want to be marked under the 6.0 system. Personally speaking, I prefer IJS as a means of understanding how judges think and assess my performance, not to mention a part of setting goals in my training.

19. Debbie S

If you have passed the Adult Gold (or Juv) FS test, you have to skate at Gold, you can't "skate down". If you have passed no higher than Silver or Pre-Juv FS, then you would compete in Silver. There is also no skating up at AN - you must compete at your test level.

If you are worried about your jumps, you could always compete in the artistic/entertainment category.

20. Theoreticalgirl

According to the registration system, it gave me the go-ahead to enter at Adult Silver.

21. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

would solo free dance count?

22. purple skates

You might want to check with USFS on this, because you absolutely are not allowed to skate down. If the referee catches it once scheduling starts, you could have big problems. If your competitors catch it once the competition starts, there could be bigger problems.

I'm adult gold with no axel, btw. Would love to skate at silver because I do not spin well and therefore do not score well under IJS. But that ship has sailed for me.

ETA: when you said technically adult gold, did you mean you've passed adult gold moves but not freestyle? If so, then you would skate silver (assuming you've passed silver free). Your moves tests are irrelevant for your freestyle competition level. I've passed intermediate moves myself.

23. Theoreticalgirl

I've never taken a MITF test. According to the charts, my freestyle level lets me compete at either Silver or Gold per the test date, but given that I've passed the 8th figure test, it's really unclear where I should be. The rulebook says one thing, the eligibility chart says another. I guess I'll check in with USFSA.

24. Debbie S

I think it depends on the year in which you passed your figures test - the chart says something about 1977? If you've passed your figures tests after that, then it doesn't matter - your comp level is based on your FS test. Re Silver vs Gold, I think there is a difference based on when you passed Juv FS (if that is the standard track test you passed) - I think if you passed it before 1994, then you can skate Silver but if you took it after the test included an axel, you must compete in Gold. If the charts don't help, check with USFS.

25. purple skates

Ohhhhh. You're a crossover. I am not up on those rules. When I came back to skating, they made me take all the adult tests.

I'd check with your adult section chair. They were helpful to me when I had a dance test/competition question.

26. LilJen

I think so. The rules seem to indicate this. Juv FD I *think* corresponds with Bronze pattern dances??

27. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

Could the rules for Adult Nationals be any more complicated? I know it's all for a good reason, but my head hurt after I skimmed through them the other night! :)

Iluvid, overedge and purple skates like this.
  28. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like you passed your Juvenile freeskate test prior to 10/1/94. That allows you to compete at either Silver or Gold (here's the crossover chart: http://www.usfsa.org/content/2016-2017 Adult Singles Eligibility Chart V1 07-07-16.pdf). If you passed the 8th figure test but did not take any freestyle test higher than Juvenile, that should not affect your freestyle competition level (just like you could also pass Senior MIF and it would not affect your freestyle competition level). As an Adult Gold skater, I can tell you the axel is really not that important. It's the spins that get you the bulk of your technical score under IJS at this level, so if you're a great spinner with strong skating skills and presentation, you should be competitive in Gold with or without an axel.

livetoskate likes this.
  29. GarrAarghHrumph

That's why I end up asking stuff here. :lol: It's not that I don't read the rules first, but...

overedge likes this.
  30. Iluvid

Iluvid Active Member

I think you can test solo freedance for the showcase/artistic levels.