1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 NCAA Gymnastics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Fridge_Break, Jan 5, 2017.

1. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Rain City Bitch Pigeon

Sorry :(. Maybe NastiaFan101 will upload it to YouTube?

2. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

SO HAPPY FOR LSU!!! Now find a way to beat Oaklahoma in a couple weeks! So happy for them. I cannot believe the season is almost over (again)!

smarts1, OnyxRose81 and Allen like this.
  3. Lara

Lara It's JJ style!

Just watched the SEC championship and so glad I was unspoiled - yes LSU!!! My heart sank when Macadeg fell off beam, fearing they'd blow it again - but the next 5 pulled through. :cheer2: So proud and well-deserved. :)

Lucy25 likes this.
  4. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

OMG - when she fell off the beam, and then the next girl was shakey, I thought it was over. Kudos for them for keeping it together. I thought Alex McMurtry (Florida) was so overscored the entire event, and I say this as a huge fan of hers. She had uncharacteristic bobbles on beam and on her landings but still was given 9.95's. Bit disappointing to see.

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I had SECs set up to tape and got home to find a storm detached the cable from my house so no TV or internet. I hope I can find repeats!

6. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Anyone else watching the semi-finals of the NCAA Championships? :fragile: Maggie Nichols on beam. I had a bad feeling about her for some reason. Now we are probably stuck with Skinner as all-around champ because I'm not sure if I see anyone in the next session beating that score. Maybe Alex McMurtry with a hit meet? Ross was fantastic today though, and I thought undermarked on vault (although to be fair so was Skinner).

annie720 likes this.
  7. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break #HotMessExpress

:blah: Skinner leading AA. Didn't get to watch but apparently she competed lights out, so good for her. I was following results and was hoping Washington could have pulled off an upset, but they got swept by in the last rotation.

8. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break #HotMessExpress

McMurtry saves the day and wins the AA in spectacular fashion!! :respec:

Oklahoma, Utah, UCLA, LSU, Florida, and Alabama going to the Super Six.

semillon27, HeatherC and Erin like this.
  9. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you Alex McMurtry!! I guess I was right when I thought that she was maybe the one that could do it, I just wasn't confident in her ability to hit all four events.

No surprises whatsoever in who made Super Six, which is a bit disappointing. One upset would have been fun. We'll see if LSU can carry their momentum into tomorrow or if Oklahoma can peak at the right time and repeat.

10. alexikeguchi

alexikeguchi Well-Known Member

Once again, OU had the best mental game and didn't miss a single routine. I love this team and am so glad I have the chance to see them anytime I want. Maggie Nichols completely redeemed herself after the disappointing performance in the All-Around, particularly on beam where she earned a 10. She still has three years to vie for an individual title, and I have no doubt she will succeed. Next week, we'll see if the men can repeat as well and if Yul Moldauer can win the individual All-Around.

11. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

Boomer Sooner!!! :cheer2: So happy with the back-to-back championships!

12. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

That was some display by OU. I feel for LSU, if they could have had their Friday night performance on Saturday, it would have been interesting to see.

Love that PPL had a 10 on beam for UCLA. And McMurtry proved her AA title wasn't just an evening session bump. She had the 2nd highest AA score, beating everyone she'd beaten the night before, except for Nichols, who fell on Friday.

From a poster on gymscoop:

Nichols 39.8625
    McMurtry 39.800
    Finnegan 39.625
    Capps 39.600
    Baker 39.5625
    Skinner 39.550
    Kocian 39.475
    Hundley 39.425
    Ross 39.425
    Hambrick 39.350
    Boren 39.3375
    Winston 39.125
    Rowe 38.6375

semillon27 and Erin like this.
  13. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Sigh. I am so sad for my LSU. I kind of knew after their incredible performance on Friday that it would be very difficult to match it. Kudos to Oklahoma for their fantastic meet last night. LSU remains my favorite, though. I was so proud of how they rocked the beam even though they knew they were not going to win. I really wish Ashleigh Gnat were not graduating! Sarah Finnegan is becoming one of my favorites. She is just so beautiful to watch! A perfect combination of power and beauty. The team should be super good again next year. I cannot believe the season is over.

Kudos also to Florida for their fantastic meet in these finals. I was super disappointed that Michigan, once again, blew it in the semi's.

Coco likes this.
  14. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I had a bad feeling that LSU left their best in the semis as well...it just seemed like that performance they had in the semis was one they could only manage once in two days and they used it up on the wrong day. Meanwhile Oklahoma appeared to be aiming to peak for Super 6 and boy did they ever do that. What a masterful performance. Unfortunately the disparity between the two made for a pretty uneventful competition. What I would have loved to see is semis LSU vs. Super Six Oklahoma. That would have been an exciting final.

15. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

16. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Sources on twitter are reporting the Georgia head coaches (including Danna Durante) have been let go. Will try to get a link...

17. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

hirshey girl likes this.
  18. rhapsody

rhapsody Well-Known Member

pollyanna likes this.
  19. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yeah, this should be...interesting. As far as I know, Kupets Carter doesn't have any significant coaching experience, so I'm assuming Yoculan will be the real coach initially, while Kupets Carter learns the ropes (or acts as a figurehead). Georgia doesn't have a lot of major incoming talent this year, with Emily Schild being the most promising, so I'm not necessarily expecting immediate results, but I do think that there is more that can be done with the athletes they have. Someone on another board pointed out that Natalie Vaculik added UGA back on to her Twitter profile, so getting her back into the bars lineup would be one step. I think that potentially getting Jordyn Pederson into the lineups (if she's back into form - she didn't look near ready in the exhibition I saw her to in Oklahoma) and having a healthy Dickson and Snead would also make a difference.

20. tylersf

tylersf Active Member

Until someone writes a tell-all book, we won't really know what happened.

I do like the Kupets-Carter/Yoculan combo. I believe Courtney and her positive attitude can become a good coach with help from Yoculan. I hope Georgia doesn't expect a national championship from Kupets, because that is setting her up for failure. A Super Six would be outstanding from Kupets in her first year. Maybe having a happy team would be the first goal for Georgia. Next, they can build from there.

Good luck to Kupets/Yoculan and Georgia for next year!