1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

2017 NCAA Gymnastics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Fridge_Break, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break #HotMessExpress

The season starts in 2 days! Who's ready?! Any fun predictions??

Pre-season rankings (coaches poll)

1. Oklahoma
    2. LSU
    3. Alabama
    4. UCLA
    5. Florida
    6. Utah
    7. Michigan
    8. Auburn
    9. Georgia
    10. California
    11. Stanford
    12. Nebraska
    13. Oregon State
    14. Denver
    15. Boise State
    16. Minnesota
    17. Arkansas
    18. Arizona
    19. Missouri
    20. Washington
    21. Kentucky
    22. Iowa
    23. Penn State
    24. Illinois
    25. George Washington
    26. Southern Utah
    27. Ohio State
    28. Michigan State
    29. Utah State
    30. West Virginia
    31. Central Michigan
    32. Kent State
    33. NC State
    34. Eastern Michigan
    35. New Hampshire
    36. BYU

alexikeguchi, Erin and Lucy25 like this.
  2. Lara

Lara It's JJ style!

3. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

So excited to see Kyla Ross with UCLA and Maggie Nichols with Oklahoma (wait, she is there, right? Just had a brain break, LOL)...this season is going to be great! :cheer:

Fridge_Break and Lucy25 like this.
  4. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting a separate thread for this! I can't wait! My favorite is LSU, but I love most of the SEC teams. Thank god for the SEC cable channel. Excited to see UCLA this year, but it is hard to watch them here. Thanks, Lara - for that link.

Fridge_Break likes this.
  5. Fridge_Break

Yes, Nichols is at Oklahoma!

Ross (& Kocian) are at UCLA.
    Skinner is at Utah.
    Gowey & Hundley are at Florida.

alexikeguchi and HeatherC like this.
  6. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Thanks for the info and for proving that my brain actually didn't break, LOL :lol:

Fridge_Break likes this.
  7. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks for getting the thread started! I've really gotten into NCAA now that I've moved to the US and get a few of the networks that show it on TV and actually booked a trip to Oklahoma in large part to see the Oklahoma vs. Georgia meet on February 24th (also because I'm trying to get to all 50 states and this was an excuse to get Oklahoma and Arkansas). I'm even dragging my boyfriend with me, although in return, I'm going to a basketball game with him. I'll probably also make it to at least one or two Minnesota meets. I'd hoped to make it to this weekend's against Denver, but now I have plans for Saturday night, so I'm thinking maybe against Nebraska or Ohio State.

If anyone really wants to really obsess over NCAA and hasn't seen this already, The Balance Beam Situation blog has previews of all the top teams:
    https://balancebeamsituation.com/

I've been filling my days over the past months reading all of them, although of course, I've forgot half of what is in them. I can't even pick who I'm most excited to see, there are so many great teams!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    alexikeguchi, Lucy25 and Fridge_Break like this.
  8. Fridge_Break

(That was partially a selling point to getting me to skating Nationals this year, as I've never been to Kansas :lol: )

If the weather's good, I'm planning on heading up to Iowa next week to watch their dual meet with Michigan State :cheer2: Also am hoping to get to a few meets at Illinois this year! And of course Nationals are in St. Louis, and that's under a 2-hour drive from me! :cheer:

HeatherC likes this.
  9. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for that link! I had no idea Florida was going through all that turmoil.

10. Fridge_Break

Florida hasn't been the same team since Faehn left. They're still very good, and I expect them to continue to make nationals, but they're going to need help from other teams if they are going to win another national championship anytime soon. The steady stream of high-caliber elites that Rhonda was able to continue to pull in isn't there anymore, so they're going to need to hope to find some unknown talents to stay in the mix year after year.

HeatherC and Lucy25 like this.
  11. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I knew about Ernst & Baumann (which impact this year, although Baumann should at least be back next year) and Key & Hernandez (which would not impact this year but will hurt long-term), but not about Fassbender, which was a big surprise. And I'm not sure where on the "entire internet" the gossip about her ineligibility is. All I've been able to find is questions in response to the blog, with similar responses to what is in the comments sections about maybe academic ineligibility, although there are conflicting reports about that.

One thing is I think the medical release of Ernst was a big mistake by Jenny Rowland for two reasons. First, when Ernst went to Alabama, her best friend Key followed, so Florida took a big hit by losing Key. And second, Florida's beam lineup this year is looking a little thin and they probably could have used Ernst's beam routine even if that was all she could contribute.

Lucy25 likes this.
  12. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

bb situation is one of the better blogs, imo.

I heard that Ernst's shoulder dislocated for the 3rd time in (3?) years on a backhandspring on beam. That is not encouraging. They would not have asked her to take a medical or released her unless they thought her career was over, poor kid.

I hope that Peyton can safely continue, but it sounds like that shoulder is in bad shape.

13. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I am so thoroughly enjoying the LSU/Georgia meet! LSU looks fabulous. Georgia is struggling and have lost their brushes again this year. Seriously, the Georgia girls have the messiest hair. I know it's superficial, but some of them look so sloppy.

According to twitter, Maggie Nichols is killing it at her first meet tonight, especially on bars - 9.975!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    HeatherC likes this.
  14. alexikeguchi

alexikeguchi Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm watching Alabama at Oklahoma on my local Fox sports channel, and Maggie is a rockstar. She could easily have gotten a 10 for her bars routine, but it is probably just too early in the season. On the other hand, I think she was slightly over-scored on beam, as she had a couple small balance checks but still got 9.9. Floor is ongoing, but I expect she will win the all-around tonight.

15. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Arkansas did pretty respectable against UCLA tonight even though the Razorbacks still fell short of winning 195.700-195.350. Although I don't know they will crack the top five in the SEC - for awhile.

16. alexikeguchi

I just got my ticket for UCLA at OU this Sunday. I'm so excited to see multiple world and Olympic medalists in one place!

HeatherC, Lara, Coco and 2 others like this.
  17. Lara

Lara It's JJ style!

Waay better meet this week from Georgia against Auburn, good to see they're not so hopeless without Jay/Rogers/Box. :)

Disappointing for Auburn to have lost twice at home but they also had Atkinson to replace which is tough (Gracie May looks great though).

Alabama vs LSU to come!

Fridge_Break, alexikeguchi and Lucy25 like this.
  18. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

19. Lara

Lara It's JJ style!

Seriously - LSU don't peak too soon!!!

20. alexikeguchi

I'm in Norman now for UCLA at OU, and it's been a little surprising so far. My impressions:

1) UCLA is weak on vault. It's concerning when Madison Kocian is the highest scorer.
    2) Maggie Nichols is a gamer. There were several uncharacteristic errors on bars by both teams including a meltdown by Kocian, but Maggie nailed her routine. She also anchored three out of four events as a freshman. Lee was a real standout on bars and beam for UCLA and looked delighted to be able to compete at last.
    3) same comment as (1) for UCLA except on floor.
    4) UCLA has more former international competitors on their roster, but OU is the better NCAA team. Nichols with her big personality has made the transition seamlessly and is a huge crowd pleaser.
    5) Nichols, Ross, and Ohashi seem to really enjoy competing NCAA while Kocian still seems like she is in the elite mindset. I hope she is able to relax and have a good time as she continues.
    6) All the girls are tough as nails and should be really proud of themselves. Kocian and Nicole Lehrman of OU in particular had painful looking falls and got right back up.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  21. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your impressions! I would have loved to go to this meet, but the timing wasn't good for me, so I have to settle for Georgia at OU. Any practical tips for getting out to the venue?

22. alexikeguchi

@Erin:
    Where are you based, and what type of transportation do you plan to use? In general, there is excellent access to the campus off major highways, but public transportation in OK is pretty rudimentary. If you have or plan to rent a car, take I-35 to OK-9E, turn left on Imhoff, drive a couple miles, and you are right there.

Erin likes this.
  23. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks! We'll have a rental car so should be no problem, then. Sorry to clog up the thread with semi-off topic stuff.

On topic, the only meet I've had time to watch so far from this weekend is Utah-BYU. I love the long lines and beautiful form of the likes of Schwab, Lewis, Stover, Rowe, etc. Skinner doesn't quite fit with that group, but she has done a good job of cleaning up her form. I have basically two gripes with her gymnastics now, neither of which are really her fault. One is that I can't believe the Utah coach let her keep that horrid floor routine instead of giving her something new. And the second is that her bars scores are beyond ridiculous. I'm still perplexed as to how she's even scored out of a 10, without a same bar release...is a Shaposhnikova an E-skill? Cause that's the other way to get the up-to-the level requirement. Anyway, her bar routine is about two seconds long, but I still see lots of leg separations, but the judges seem to be ignoring it. And they are scoring her that high in the middle of the lineup too, which seems even more insane.

alexikeguchi likes this.
  24. Lara

Lara It's JJ style!

UCLA is supposed to upgrade their vaults (to more 10.0 SVs) later in the season - will see.

Very weird to see Wofford and especially Kocian struggle like that, but Peng-Peng was indeed great! :)

Capps and Nichols are such a powerful combo for OU. Good to see Kara Lovan back on BB as exhibition, even if she was a bit nervous. I miss her old FX from a couple seasons ago.

alexikeguchi likes this.
  25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Wow, I have always loved Nichols (wanted her to have Gabby's spot in Rio, but it just wasn't going to happen) and she's really looking like she'll thrive in NCAA.

Peng-Peng was indeed amazing.

alexikeguchi and Erin like this.
  26. Fridge_Break

As of this week's standings, Maggie Nichols is either leading or co-leading every individual event, as well as the All Around.

HeatherC and alexikeguchi like this.
  27. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I just don't know how the teams w/o the Olympians can even seriously compete for the top spots. It must be quite defeating, mentally, wouldn't you think? The teams w/them are just so good!

28. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

LSU has Finnegan (alternate in 2012) and Harold, but they have gymnasts that are just as good as the Olympians like Gnat and Hambrick. If having Olympians told the whole story, UCLA would be number 1. I think Alabama is pretty good this year and going under the radar. I have them at number 3. They don't have an Olympian I believe (World Team member in Desch).

alexikeguchi likes this.
  29. alexikeguchi

Actually, Oklahoma has no gymnasts who successfully made an Olympic team though a few were in the running, and Nichols might have made it with just a few more months to recover. AFAIK, Nichols, Dowell, and Wofford are the only former elites on the roster, and the others primarily competed at Level 10. I can think of several reasons why this approach could be more successful, including less likelihood of burnout, emphasis on performance and execution rather than the highest possible difficulty, and having a specific longterm goal to compete NCAA rather than seeing it as a plan B.

30. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I guess I should have said former elites, not Olympians. Because Nichols came so close for an incredibly talented team, I considered her an "Olympian". Watching these events every week (Thank you SEC Network!), I am just amazed at where collegiate gymnastics has gone. I enjoy it better than the elite competitions! You have the best of both worlds now - technical and artistic combined. Plus the crowds these teams are getting - amazing atmospheres.