2017 ISU Grand Prix

Carolla5501

Does anyone know when, or if, the ISU will announce more Grand Prix stops? Looking at what I can find they seem to have announced anything in Europe next year. Just the Asia and North America stops are out there. That doesn't seem right? Down to 4 events?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
I know they start Oct 26 with Skate Canada and end 6 weeks later at Skate America.

There are 6 events. I dont think the dates have been set for about 3 of them.

Sylvia

TBD
The ISU Grand Prix Final is set for December 7-10, 2017, in Nagoya, Japan - this was announced in early November 2016: http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...-of-figure-skating-201718-to-be-held-in-japan

GP #1 (ETA): ? Rostelecom Cup in Moscow (Oct. 19-22, 2017), according to DobrinFan's link below

2017 Skate Canada International is October 26-29 in Regina - link to event thread in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...a-international-2017-in-regina-updated.99334/

GP #3 ? (Nov. 2-5)
GP #4 ? (Nov. 9-12)
GP #5 ? (Nov. 16-19)

2017 Skate America is November 24-26 in Lake Placid, NY - link to event thread in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/skate-america-2017-returns-to-lake-placid.99548/

ETA: The ISU Council is scheduled to meet next during Worlds in Helsinki - I assume the remaining GP dates/order may be finalized then?

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Kogan put out an interview saying Rostelecom will be moved to the beginning of the season
https://m.sports.ru/figure-skating/1045319801.html

Thanks. Kogan says that the Russian Grand Prix is being moved up in the schedule to allow them to prepare for Europeans, which is also being held in Russia later that season.

I guess that explains why Skate America is not the starting event, as it usually is.

I still don't understand why the USFSA accepted SA being scheduled on Thanksgiving. I really hope they do not do that again.

Sylvia

TBD
I just saw that @mollymgr posted the link to NBC Sports' scheduled televised coverage of all Olympic sports in the TV Alerts forum and the Grand Prix event order is:

Cup of Russia - Oct. 19-22, 2017
Skate Canada - Oct. 26-29
Cup of China - Nov. 2-5
NHK Trophy - Nov. 9-12
Trophee de France - Nov. 16-19
Skate America - Nov. 24-26

Last edited:

firstflight

For those who were dismayed by B/S and S/B's Worlds scores in Ice Dance, and B/S's Rostelecom Cup scores, next season should have quite a weird feel in terms of the GP series. After all, it has been N.A. teams getting very nice marks and placements in the early part of GP season and then hitting the Rostelecom/COR "twilight zone" so to speak later in the series.

Obviously I'd expect Russian fans to see it exactly the opposite way--- that their Grand Prix event finally restores what the scoring/placements should have been all along for the season.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
When should the locations be published (aka is Cup of Russia in Moscow? Is French Cup in Paris?)

npavel

As there has been Russian events cancelled due to doping scandal, will Cup of Russia and Euros take place in Russia?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

So, do we know when the correct Council is this year for GP assignment selections? This past season it was way late in July. I am hoping Early June this season.....

:)

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Grand Prix schedule for the next 2 seasons:

Season 2017/18:

Russia October 20-22, 2017
Canada October 27-29, 2017
China November 3-5, 2017
Japan November 10-12, 2017
France November 17-19, 2017
USA November 24-26, 2017
GP Final Japan December 7-10, 2017

Season 2018/19:
USA October 19-21, 2018
Canada October 26-28, 2018
China November 2-4, 2018
Japan November 9-11, 2018
France November 16-18, 2018
Russia November 23-25, 2018
GP Final Canada December 6-9, 2018

http://static.isu.org/media/1021/2085-decisions-of-the-council-helsinki-2017.pdf

At least Skate America will not be on Thanksgiving weekend again in 2018!

Dobre

It's nice that they are keeping Japan & China back-to-back. That seemed to work for a number of skaters.

(Can't you just imagine the scores at Rostelecom in 18/19 when it is the last GP event? LOL).

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I've heard the GP selection meeting will be held earlier this year -- sometime in late May (last year the GP assignments were published on June 30).

ooooooh, that would be most excellent. It always seems like such a long wait from the end of the season in mid-April til the GP assignments at the end of June :drama:

I'm bummed out about the lack of random draw. Who cares if some big-name has to skate first? Test 'em out. If they're really that good, it won't effect them.

Besides, I enjoyed Brendan graduating from skating first this year. And Jason continuing his streak of drawing last :lol:

skatingguy

decently
I'm bummed out about the lack of random draw. Who cares if some big-name has to skate first? Test 'em out. If they're really that good, it won't effect them.

Besides, I enjoyed Brendan graduating from skating first this year. And Jason continuing his streak of drawing last :lol:
I don't think it has anything to do with the skaters. I think it's about television wanting to have the top skaters in the 2nd flight so they can focus their coverage on that flight of skaters.

Dobre

So Coomes & Buckland return to the GP based on the "return skaters" rule, correct? And their 2015-16 SB is inserted within the current top 24 SB list? (173.17 will put them 15th after Hawayek & Baker and ahead of Zahorsky & Guerreiro). But this season's top 24 SB scores (after WTT) are still guaranteed the one spot along with C&B, right?

Rhino

So Coomes & Buckland return to the GP based on the "return skaters" rule, correct? And their 2015-16 SB is inserted within the current top 24 SB list? (173.17 will put them 15th after Hawayek & Baker and ahead of Zahorsky & Guerreiro). But this season's top 24 SB scores (after WTT) are still guaranteed the one spot along with C&B, right?
Good question. Nick/Penny should get 1 slot and then a 2nd once they start going down the seasons best after all guaranteed 1 and 2 slots have been taken. Couple currently in 24th are Kaliszek/Spodyriev, but would still get 1 slot via World Ranking even if moved to 25th via Nick and Penny's SB, or if overtaken at WTT. However if the French, Japanese or Chinese couples at WTT do overtake K/S and become 24th in the list who's to say. However they'll all get a host pick and I'm sure '25th' on the SB list would get them a spot also, so it probably doesn't make any difference really - couple in 23rd, Carreira/Ponomarenko, will presumably stay in juniors, plus there's 7 USA couples ahead of them so would have thought USFSA would want all available 12 slots for these 7.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here:
You can only be guaranteed two spots if you placed top 12 in singles or top ten in Pairs and Dance [at Worlds].
The other way is to get a guaranteed one from being in the top 24 [World Standings after the update] or SB list [after World Team Trophy later this week], and then getting a TBA host spot.
2017 Worlds top 12 men (top 6 are seeded for GP):
1 Yuzuru HANYU JPN
2 Shoma UNO JPN
3 Boyang JIN CHN
4 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP
5 Patrick CHAN CAN
6 Nathan CHEN USA
7 Jason BROWN USA
8 Mikhail KOLYADA RUS
9 Kevin REYNOLDS CAN
10 Alexei BYCHENKO ISR
11 Maxim KOVTUN RUS
12 Misha GE UZB
13 Moris KVITELASHVILI GEO (will move up IF Ge decides to retire or not compete on GP)

2017 Worlds top 12 ladies (top 6 are seeded for GP):
1 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA RUS
2 Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN
3 Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN
4 Karen CHEN USA
5 Mai MIHARA JPN
6 Carolina KOSTNER ITA
7 Ashley WAGNER USA
8 Maria SOTSKOVA RUS
9 Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA KAZ
10 Dabin CHOI KOR
11 Wakaba HIGUCHI JPN
12 Mariah BELL USA

2017 Worlds top 10 pairs (top 6 are seeded for GP):
1 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN
2 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Bruno MASSOT GER
3 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV RUS
4 Xiaoyu YU / Hao ZHANG CHN
5 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS
6 Liubov ILYUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN
7 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN
8 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA
9 Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA
10 Alexa SCIMECA KNIERIM / Chris KNIERIM USA

2017 Worlds top 10 dance (top 6 are seeded for GP):
1 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN
2 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA
3 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA
4 Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN
5 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS
6 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA
7 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA
8 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN
9 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA
10 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS
So Coomes & Buckland return to the GP based on the "return skaters" rule, correct? And their 2015-16 SB is inserted within the current top 24 SB list? (173.17 will put them 15th after Hawayek & Baker and ahead of Zahorsky & Guerreiro).
@kwanfan1818, IF Coomes/Buckland stay in the top 24 of the WS after the update, would they need the "Return Skater/Couple" clause as described in 2.2.c) of the 2016-17 GP Announcement?

Last edited:

Dobre

plus there's 7 USA couples ahead of them so would have thought USFSA would want all available 12 slots for these 7.

Are countries technically limited to 12 spots?

@kwanfan1818, IF Coomes/Buckland stay in the top 24 of the WS after the update, would they need the "Return Skater/Couple" clause as described in 2.2.c) of the 2016-17 GP Announcement?

According to a projected top 24 World Ranking dance list on Golden Skate, both Coomes & Buckland and Wang & Liu will fall off the top 24 world dance rankings. (No idea if the projection is correct). But it is one of the reasons I am asking.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Countries are technically limited to 18 spots in each discipline, if there are enough after all of the skaters/teams guaranteed spots get theirs. (Max of three from each member in each discipline at each of six events.) Practically speaking, that hasn't happened, although three at three-four events and two at three-two events isn't that unusual for really strong disciplines of host nations. It depends on their strategy, since Feds can decline to enter skaters for GP consideration.

When I did the projection before Worlds, Wang/Liu and Coomes/Buckland had dropped out of WS 24 when 2014-15 season points were dropped and 2015-16 points were factored by 70%. Wang/Liu didn't earn more WS points at Worlds than they had at 4C's, so their projected total doesn't change and other teams might have passed them.

Assuming no GP rule changes, C/B would qualify as a Return Couple based on 7th at 2016 Worlds. I don't think anyone has ever used this clause (or Split Couple) and not gotten two, which can make it a better situation than getting one as Top 24 WS, but some skaters/teams might want to save the one-time Comeback/Return option for the future.

Surely someone will want to be in good favor with China and invite Wang/Liu to a second event, since they've been to the 2014-16 Cup of China.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Whoever has time to do the lists and look through the rules.. can someone answer:

A. How many will Lip get? 1? 0? (yes I know host countries with their picks could also bump someone to 1 or 2, it just depends)
B. Radio
C. Pogo? Probably 2? even tho she wasnt top 12 at worlds.. her world standings are still high

And are the 3 USA junior dynamo dance teams STILL staying junior? Yes, I know theres no room in seniors but they almost seem (to me) like all 3 teams are in thier 20s now. LOL

In pairs are Liu & Johnson finally going to seniors? I just hope she works on jumping this summer.. I could see this team at some train station somewhere soon jumping on Team You-know-what... (he already breaks my heart). Yes, Im studying the STRICT rules BOSSMAN!!!! @Jeschke

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information