2017 Grand Prix LADIES: your off-season thoughts on matchups, TBD spots?

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Pairs is where it's at ;) nobody is dominant, there's 8-10 pairs that could move up/down, and they're all out for blood! (On the ice, with their performances) :lynch:

It's better than any movie that'll hit the big screen this year. :watch:

Right, ladies. I'm keeping an eye on Satoko, Daleman, Mai, Karen, Wakaba, Marin, Ashley, Zagitova, Radionova, Tuktamtsheva, Caroline, and Pogorilaya in particular. There's one force of nature (Med), and then like 12 others that could all end up in any different order. :confused: this off season is going to be so important to distance yourself from the herd, we'll probably have no clue until we see some summer competitions. Still fun to guess though

Last edited:

Bellanca

My god I've turned this into Janny overkill :barefoot: I just chose this thread for the PSA and could've scaled back a bit. :shuffle:

Let's talk about Satoko. I'm extremely interested to see how tiny queen Satoko Miyahara (who also > Janny for me, I forgot her above because I was going to town) rebounds next season! :cheer: With good health and two detailed programs, I think she's got a great shot at the GPF since she's the reigning silver medalist. She's being forgotten amidst the Higuchi/Mihara/Honda hype train. I fully expect a healthy Satoko to make the top 5 in Pyeongchang. She's also someone who I'd give higher CH marks to than Medvedeva.
This post is GOLD! @Karpenko.

Your infectious enthusiasm for all things Janny and the first sentence has had me :lol: for a good five minutes, easily. Too funny!

I agree re Tiny Queen! She could definitely upset the applecart, and maybe she will ... who knows?!

IMHO, Osmond! If Kaetlyn can keep her nerves in check, she too, could find herself on the top step of the podium. Also, Med's teammates... Someone from her own backyard might make some noise. And, lest we forget, there could always be a sleeper (or two) in the mix.

I can't wait to see how it will all shake out! :watch:

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I just can't bring myself to fantasize anymore for my favorites to win gold. She's just too tough, Janny is the business and may all of my favorites shoot for the silver.

Ugh I did it again. Pogorilaya will make a comeback! :cheer2:Enough with the damn Janny already, and I'll stop bogarting the thread! :cheer:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! šŸ˜
I get it @Karpenko that Medvedeva is incredibly dominant. But sorry, I am still ((yawn emoticon?)) so far. And I have seen Med live twice, and it was no revelation. I saw Yuna live once, and that was a singular, not-to-be-forgotten experience, totally :wideeyes:, as you put it. Seeing Med live evoked no similar emotions/appreciation in me.

In the WTT LP, I enjoyed Med more than I probably ever have before, and for the first time in a while, I felt something from her skating. If she continues in that vein next year (and gets some half-decent programs), maybe I'll become more appreciative.

For now, I respect that she is technically brilliant.

I get it....Med is still a bit too much of a machine for my tastes with a touch of over the top emoting and acting.

But, I do like the women (Caro, Mao, Ash) so maybe in a few yrs or so Ill be more on board.

Bellanca

Tessa is training w/ Frank, and Frank has political clout, but I do not see an invitation to Skate America on their horizon for obvious and already stated reasons. What I do expect to see, is Tessa Hong making the most of every competitive oppurtunity that might present itself. Frank, Tessa and company will aim to leave a lasting impression at any and all competitions she will be at, knowing that a skater can take an alternate route to achieve an attention-getting and advancing quickly conclusion. Plus, Frank will be sure to promote and elevate his student (as all the coaches do) especially if she delivers throughout the season. And, as I have already mentioned in another thread, I am hoping that Tessa will enjoy a very successful, healthy season! Frank, too!

Last edited:

Dobre

You are starting to sound like a baseball announcer with these fabulous stats. I mean that only in the best way.

I just think it is a good idea to keep our eyes open and look at the whole table. For the last two years on the junior circuit, I have been reading about how unbeatable the Russian ladies are. Yet, both seasons, the Japanese girls have filled half the JGPF spots and won half the medals at Junior Worlds. They are pushing each other. And it's deep, deep, deep in both countries.

FYI, the young lady with the highest TES in the free skate at Japanese Nationals this season was Yuna Shiraiwa. 3Lz-3T, 3F-3T, 3Lz-2T-2Lo.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Mai Mihara is skating to "Gabriel's Oboe" from The Mission next season, choreographed by David Wilson. I'm sure he's aware of how beautiful her knee bend is.

So the odds of Medvedeva being beaten just went up like 2%, the Japanese ladies betta' bring it next season! I've got a great feeling about that one, I didn't like her music last season but I do LOVE this. Hope she kills it, she's my lil underdog to make the Japanese team. :cheer2: (over Marin and/or Miyahara, but I'll be sad to see the other not on the team because I love them all)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information