2017 Eurovision Grand Final - I Feel Like Chicken (Kyiv) Tonight!

sweetsparky

Good Ice Dance = THE SEX

Eden

^^^
I am so happy for him and for Portugal.
A very well deserved victory.
It is so nice when the headlines in your country are about achievements in music, sports etc and not negative news.
The issue, though, is that the new corporation doesn't meet EBU membership requirements. So even if they want to participate, they can't.
Israel may return at the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest after all
According to Yigal Palmor, Director of Public Affairs and Communications and former spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ofer Nachshon’s (Israeli speaker during the votes in ESC) statement in the voting was meant as a goodbye from the broadcaster and not for Israel at the Eurovision Song Contest.
The JPost reports about Kan (the new Israeli public corporation):
as has been reported by The Jerusalem Post in the past week, the real story is not that black and white.
It is true that this year’s Eurovision marked the final broadcast for the IBA, which shut down Sunday to make way for the new Israel Broadcasting Corporation. But it is not yet clear if Israel will continue to participate in the singing competition – which it has won three times, in 1978, 1979 and 1998.
If the IBC, known as Kan, joins the European Broadcasting Union, then it can both participate in and air the Eurovision Song Contest each year.
The EBU told the Post last week that it “has some reservations” about the new public broadcaster and is following the developments closely.
It added that the body will only consider Kan’s application for membership once the network “becomes operational.”
IMO, Israel will stay in EBU not only for ESC sake, but mainly for EBU's exclusive media rights for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
The worst scenario might be that we will be absent for one year from ESC, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

DaiKozOda

I went to bed before hearing his speech, my god what a pretentious speech. How disrespectful to all the other contestants and the public who partly comes to have fun. I mean Eurovision is supposed to be fun and light entertainment not a deep soul searching event :rolleyes: Get over yourself Portugal. I mean his song is a small touching song but it's hardly breaking ground either. After that speech I feel even more like wuzrobbed Romania :drama:

I'm sorry you think his speech was pretentious. His words have to do with past statements about music and the music industry overall. If you search for his other statements, you'll find out that what he said on stage was not an attack on Eurovision. Besides, his words have a lot more to do with being genuine while writting songs and that includes all sorts of emotions/feellings. It's not about trying to be the "next Beethoven". :)
Anyway you can still go out there with a fun song whitout it being artificial.

That's a whole other debate so I'm leaving it here.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I'm sorry you think his speech was pretentious. His words have to do with past statements about music and the music industry overall. If you search for his other statements, you'll find out that what he said on stage was not an attack on Eurovision. Besides, his words have a lot more to do with being genuine while writting songs and that includes all sorts of emotions/feellings. It's not about trying to be the "next Beethoven". :)
Anyway you can still go out there with a fun song whitout it being artificial.

That's a whole other debate so I'm leaving it here.
The irony is deep down I agree with his statement but I think it was of very poor taste to phrase it that way in front of that crowd at that type of event. He can talk about it at length in an interview trying to be a bit more nuanced but that evening all he had to do was acknowledging the other contestants and being happy. It was tasteless and out of place and frankly did make him sound like a snob. If he was 17 years old I could have thought, he's young and impulsive but at 27, there is no such excuse.
Anyway, I'm still happy for Portugal as a country which can celebrate a bit of good news. Hopefully, next year when Sobral makes speeches in Lisbon, he will be more nuanced.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
There was a press conference where he explained it, shortly after the end of the show.
And he has a valid point.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I'm still wading my way through it. 5 hours is a LOOOONG time.

Aceon6

I didn't realise the press conference went on for five hours. ;)
The US telecast was 5 hours. We got a mish mash with Michelle Visage and Ross Matthews talking over everything but the actual performances. We didn't even get to hear the introductions!!! And the commercials. Oy, the commercials.

Chemistry66

The US telecast was 5 hours. We got a mish mash with Michelle Visage and Ross Matthews talking over everything but the actual performances. We didn't even get to hear the introductions!!! And the commercials. Oy, the commercials.

This is why I watched via the German Eurovision site, rather than Logo. No VPN proxy needed. At least the German commentators knew when to shut up.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

Did they not show it live? The broadcast itself only lasted 3 hours and 45 minutes including as breaks.

Aceon6

Did they not show it live? The broadcast itself only lasted 3 hours and 45 minutes including as breaks.
My bad. The DVR recording is 4 1/2 hours, but it includes other stuff. I guess Logo added time to the schedule just in case then went to regular programming when it was over. I've still got to finish watching. I stopped last night at about the 2 hour mark.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
My connection to this year's Eurovision winner is that a co-worker told me today that his friend taught Luisa Sobral how to play guitar. :lol:

Salvador and Luisa Sobral cover "City Lights"

I guess it must have met the seal of approval. ;)
How magnanimous of them :D and what a uber hipster version. Now I want to see them cover Yodel it and he'll be all forgiven :lol:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I am pleasantly surprised at how commercially well Portugal is doing on iTunes. Currently number one in 15 different countries. :eek:

Eurovision Tracker

People really appreciating Belgium too! :respec:

Last edited:

3T3T

I enjoyed this year's Eurovision. I think Ukraine did a good job despite all the problems in the run up. I am delighted for Portugal, it wasn't my favourite, I would have had it Top 5. This should give the other small countries like Cyprus, Malta, Iceland... hope if Portugal can win Eurovision, they can win it.

My favourite song was Armenia, it got a great reaction from the audience, but it did poorly with both the juries and televote. I also enjoyed Azerbaijan, man with a horses head up a ladder, outstanding. I really liked the Belgian song but Blanche was struggling in the rehearsals and semi but in the final she finally delivered. The Belgians have done well in recent years. I also enjoyed Bulgaria, Moldova (epic sax guy), Italy, France, Estonia & Hungary.

Recently disappointed for Finland and Estonia not getting out of the semi. I don't know what Ireland are going to do moving forward, four years in a row we have missed the final. I thought Brendan performed quite well. I think RTE are happy to take part but not come close to winning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information