1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

2016-2017 TV Season (Fall-Spring)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AliasJohnDoe, May 19, 2016.

1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I watched a season 2 Frasier episode on Netflix titled "The Matchmaker" and it was honestly one of the funniest episodes of comedic television I've seen. It dealt with Frasier being mistaken for being gay and inadvertently being on a date with his gay boss who he didn't suspect was gay. For an episode written in the early 1990s, they did a good job not making the boss being gay nor Frasier being mistaken as gay as being the butt of the joke. There was some Roz slut-shaming, but that's something I was already expecting as that was a running theme for that show and it was a product of its time.

2. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Headcase Addict

MacMadame and Buzz like this.
  3. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

In general, Frasier was ahead of its time in many respects. I wish it was on Canadian Netflix.

4. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

Toby on This is Us is irritating me. Of course he shows up to Kate's camp to make it about himself. I kinda hope now that she dumps him for Duke.

PeterG and Susan1 like this.
  5. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

I keep thinking he's a passive aggressive stalker. Spend time with me or else. Don't lose weight. You'd think his heart attack would make her realize she needs to lose weight or it will happen to her.

But Duke is doing the same thing - undermining her relationship and her weight loss to make it all about him.

clairecloutier and HeatherC like this.
  6. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

We just watched it, and I'm completely shocked! I feel like this came out of nowhere. Although I had been wondering about the fact that they didn't explain why Michael failed his work physical....

I feel like the show is going to be totally different without him. :(

manhn likes this.
  7. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I really really like The Magicians on Syfy and The Expanse.

AMC's Humans' season 2 starts next week.

AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

For This is Us fans. If you watch The Trip again, check out the scene where Kate and Kevin look at the tree where they carved their names. There's a K.P. + S.B. carved into the tree. Shows that Sophie was always gonna be a part of the show.

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

1) Legion is weird. Had to read up on the character to figure out what is going on.
    2) Love 24: Legacy!!!
    3) kinda on the fence about Training Day but will stick with it.

10. AliasJohnDoe

11. AliasJohnDoe

12. AliasJohnDoe

Buzz and MacMadame like this.
  13. AliasJohnDoe

2017 Mid Season Premiere Schedule for New/Returning Shows: http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...re-schedule-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday February 12/2017 - Saturday February 18/2017

Sunday, February 12
    8 p.m. - 59th Annual Grammy Awards - CBS
    8 p.m. - The Missing - Starz
    9 p.m. - The Walking Dead - AMC
    10 p.m. - Girls - HBO
    11 p.m. - Last Week Tonight with Jon Oliver - HBO

Monday, February 13
    10 p.m. - Humans - AMC

Tuesday, February 14
    ? p.m. - The Mindy Project - Hulu

Wednesday, February 15
    10 p.m. - DOUBT - CBS

Saturday, February 18
    9 p.m. -- PLANET EARTH II -- BBC America

Please post any updates I may have missed.

PeterG, Buzz and MacMadame like this.
  14. lmarie086

lmarie086 missing my cat :(

I finally caught up with Westworld! Talk about some crazy storylines; some of it was a tad predictable, but it was all woven together really nicely I thought, and there were enough shocking moments that I was constantly just like :eek: Totally love the cast, and I'll be sad when a few people aren't back for season 2 (which sadly, is super far off :wuzrobbed: )

lurvylurker and AliasJohnDoe like this.
  15. AliasJohnDoe

16. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Watched the first episode of APB and not very impressed. PVR is set for next episode but not sure if I will give it another chance or just delete.

17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I binge watched The Good Place and liked it very much. This winter and spring shows that have me hitting record:

The Expanse (I love this show and they have not spared expense on CGI/special effects.)
    Taboo (Strange show that keeps my interest and I like Tom Hardy.)
    Legion (Just watched the first episode and I want more now! For Dan Stevens this is a long, long way from Downton Abbey. )
    Victoria on Masterpiece (Don't love it but I'm still interested enough to watch...)
    The Missing (A new season with a mostly new cast. I like Keeley Hawes and David Morrissey and a good mystery.)
    The Hollow Crown: The War of the Roses: I'm still catching up with this series. I hated seeing Sherlock end (at least for now.) At least we still see Cumberbatch. He is a revelation in this series. I think one day he will have Lawrence Olivier status.

What is amazing is that this is what is on television and that is a small portion of what is available. This truly is a golden age for television.

I'm looking forward to recording Reese and Nicole and Shailene in Big Little Lies and to see another season of Home Fires--another female cast. And I want to see some of my "Good Wife" favorites in The Good Fight. And more sci-fi with Doctor Who and Star Trek: Discovery.

And there is so much more to stream...so much to see--so little time. I'd love to know if there is something you are watching that you like a lot.

PeterG and nlloyd like this.
  18. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

With the explosion of shows to watch on premium channels, on cable, network, streaming I do wonder if it is noticeably easier to find an acting job. I never hear a peep about that.

20. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I have thought about that as well. And also behind-the camera jobs.

21. AliasJohnDoe

22. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

We've been watching the second season of Poldark on PBS and are near the end. The show is okay, but I'm really starting to dislike Ross. He was an interesting hero/anti-hero type in the beginning, but I'm now just finding him increasingly selfish and reckless (not to mention self-righteous).

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I heard something along those lines about Marvel some time ago. Apparent the studio is planning a big expansion somewhere outside California (sorry can't remember where, maybe North Carolina?) to accommodate all the filming they have planned for the future. The expectation is that once completed they would be doing a lot of hiring in every field. Couldn't find a supporting link. :shuffle:

PeterG and nlloyd like this.
  24. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I'm still obsessed with Timeless! The writing is so smart, you hang on every word because you might miss something. The actors are superb and the cast is so diverse. The production is amazing, you feel like you are watching a mini movie. Which is probably why is still up in the air for a second season. I'm holding out hope because if more people find this show, they will be hooked! NBC needs to find a good night and time for this show, the history lessons alone are worth it but I promise you'll be impressed by the great acting, the chemistry of the leads, and the storylines that will blow you away! Watch it!

25. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Well, I watched the first episode but the rest are sitting on my pvr waiting for a time when I can binge watch them.

26. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Loving the show, too, and all of the historical figures are kind of a cool. The only critique I have is that sometimes everyone but Lucy seems a bit too ignorant of history. Even if one doesn't know the exact dates, often times, the years should give one a hint about what it could be about. One does learn a thing or two in school ;)

27. meggonzo

I have so many emotions about tonight's This is Us, but don't know how to put them into words yet.

PeterG, HeatherC, Meredith and 2 others like this.
  28. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

On one hand, I feel so bad for Sloane. But on the other hand, gaaaaa!!!

And AS JAMIE SALE AS MY WITNESS, I will track down Emmy voters if Sterling K. Brown does not win for Best Supporting Actor in a drama.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    PeterG, HeatherC, meggonzo and 2 others like this.
  29. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

It will be worth it! The show just gets better and better!

30. meggonzo

Ok, kind of a side note about This is Us, but I thought it was stupid that Duke could kick someone out of fat camp just for being mean to him. Don't his parents want to keep a paying customer?

PeterG, HeatherC, manhn and 2 others like this.