1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

2016-2017 TV Season (Fall-Spring)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AliasJohnDoe, May 19, 2016.

1. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

manhn likes this.
  2. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

We binge-watched the first-half seasons of Jane the Virgin and This Is Us over the holidays.

I'm really enjoying Jane this season, is anyone else?? I love that they went there and finally let Jane & Michael be married and have sex. Last season it was starting to feel too contrived that Jane still hadn't had sex, so I'm glad they got that monkey off their back. Really enjoying the show, except I could do without the storyline of Jane's cousin.

We like This Is Us. My husband feels there's been a bit too much storyline with Randall, that it's a bit unbalanced. I'm okay with it. Great acting all around. I've never cared for Milo Ventimiglia before, but love him as the dad. I must say my favorites are the actors who play Kate and Kevin. I love that they're doing a storyline about a person struggling with weight issues. It's realistic, and I think the actress is great. As to Justin Hartley--this is the third show I've watched him in (Smallville, Y&R) and I think he's just so good. He's always one of the best things about any show he's in. An underrated actor IMO. (And, quite easy on the eyes.:))

HeatherC, Buzz, lmarie086 and 4 others like this.
  3. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Headcase Addict

MacMadame and Buzz like this.
  4. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Buzz likes this.
  5. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

HeatherC likes this.
  6. BaileyCatts

7. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

It's a movie remake:

http://imdb.com/title/tt5262792/

PeterG likes this.
  8. BaileyCatts

This Is Us ...... C'mon. $200 a month rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in that gorgeous brownstone? $17,000 a year for a Construction Foreman? We know for a fact this timing is supposed to be happening in 1979/1980. Now granted I was in high school in 1980, so have no clue how much rent for 2 bedroom apartments was, or what the typical salary of a Construction Foreman was, but .... really???? $200 a month???? $17,000 a year??? In 1980???? Really????? I still say they have the vision wrong for that whole storyline because whenever I watch that part I keep thinking its taking place in the 1960s. :p

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I think it would be 1978. The trio were born 1979.

10. emason

emason Well-Known Member

This Is Us. Twins who stand next to each other at a Hollywood party and he is a foot taller than she is? Not believable for a second. Also the whole show is too slick by half. 3 episodes and I was out of there; haven't returned so far.

11. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

There were two opportunities for Toby to die in tonight's episode of This Is Us. He not only survived both times, but is now engaged to Kate?! :wall:

I can't stand that character. And he's not the type of character you love to hate. He's just so annoying and obnoxious.

PeterG, ballettmaus and Susan1 like this.
  12. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

This Is Us: Guess he and she were not identical twins given their disparity in height, huh? ;)

PeterG, gkelly and meggonzo like this.
  13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Maybe he's wearing heels and she isn't? ;)

I have twin nephews who are about 4 inches apart in height at age 10. I don't know if the difference will increase or decrease by the time they reach full adult height. Genetically, they're no more similar born 1 minute apart than if they'd been born 1 year apart.

Now imagine if the smaller one were female.

clairecloutier, emason and Meredith like this.
  14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

My twin brother and sister had a phase where she was taller than him for a while until he shot up suddenly.

emason and gkelly like this.
  15. AliasJohnDoe

16. SkateSand

SkateSand Active Member

meggonzo and Buzz like this.
  17. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

A comment about 2 HBO shows that got renewed for a 2nd season:

I understand that opinions on Divorce are quite divided (mostly in the negative). The way I see the show, it's a more darker/blunt version of (creator) Sharon Horgan's other show, Catastrophe (for which she stars in). At least in Catastrophe, there's still some moments of actual comic relief amidst the growing pains of Rob/Sharon's evolving marriage. OTOH in Divorce, Sarah Jessica Parker/Thomas Hayden Church's downward tailspin of their marriage really comes off as a total trainwreck (very awkward to watch)

As for Insecure, Issa Rae (creator) certainly anchors the show and is a strong lead, but the rest of the ensemble doesn't really stack up (for example, best friend Molly is a rather moody/erratic character).

18. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Definitely will give Divorce a skip then. I even found the old movie War of the Roses too dark and mean-spirited to get anything out of it despite the billing as a comedy, so I can't imagine finding much point to watching Divorce. If I want to be depressed and watch hopeless situations I can just turn on the news.

clairecloutier likes this.
  19. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Chicago PD surprised me last night - I did not think that they would ever go there that Voight could actually be Lindsay's biological father. I'm curious and at the same time, dreading to see what they'll do with it.

HeatherC likes this.
  20. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I graduated from college in 1978. My first job as a junior programmer paid $10,000 a year, which was slightly low for that kind of job because I worked for a community college. I shared a two-bedroom apartment in New Jersey with another gal and I think the rent was $500 a month, but it's hard to remember.

So salary seems about right but apartment seems low.

By definition, brother and sister twins can't be identical. If they were identical, they'd either both be boys or both be girls because they'd have the same DNA.

Oh, I loved War of the Roses. It's a Black Comedy and I have that kind of twisted sense of humor.

21. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

For Fargo fans:

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/kirsten-dunst-jesse-plemons-engaged-224000271.html

clairecloutier and love skating like this.
  22. love skating

love skating Clueless American

^ Wow, I had no idea... congrats to them! They both were fabulous in Fargo!

skatesindreams likes this.
  23. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I love both of them as actors ... good news and good luck to them!

24. AliasJohnDoe

25. AliasJohnDoe

2017 Mid Season Premiere Schedule for New/Returning Shows: http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...re-schedule-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday January 15/2017 - Saturday January 21/2017

Sunday, January 15
    9:00 p.m. -- VICTORIA -- PBS
    9:00 p.m. -- Homeland -- Showtime
    9:00 p.m. -- THE YOUNG POPE - HBO

Monday, January 16
    8 p.m. -- Gotham -- Fox
    9 p.m. -- Lucifer-- Fox

Tuesday, January 17
    10 p.m. -- Teachers --TVLand
    10:30 p.m. -- THROWING SHADE --TVLand

Wednesday, January 18
    10 p.m. -- SIX --History

Thursday, January 19
    10 p.m. -- Baskets -- FX

Friday, January 20
    12:01 a.m. PT -- VOLTRON: LEGENDARY DEFENDER -- Netflix
    12:01 a.m. PT -- FRONTIER -- Netflix

Saturday, January 21
    8 p.m. -- Beaches -- Lifetime (MOVIE)

Please post any updates I may have missed.

MacMadame likes this.
  26. AliasJohnDoe

27. AliasJohnDoe

28. AliasJohnDoe

Buzz and MacMadame like this.
  29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am totally hooked on Agents of Shield! :cheer2: