1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016-2017 TV Season (Fall-Spring)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AliasJohnDoe, May 19, 2016.

1. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

Early notice - I was looking through the cable guide for more Love Comes Softly movies last night and saw this:

Love on Ice, an original Hallmark movie, premieres on Sat. Jan 7 at 9 p.m.

"champion, Emily James, now 27 years old and considered a relic in the world of figure skating, gets an improbably shot to reclaim skating glory when a young coach sees greatness in her. Together, they find their love of skating goes far beyond the ice. Stars Julie Berman, Andrew Walker and Gail O’Grady."

A new skating movie!! I set the DVR already.

skatesindreams likes this.
  2. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Headcase Addict

3. AliasJohnDoe

2017 Mid Season Premiere Schedule for New/Returning Shows: http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...re-schedule-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday January 01/2017 - Saturday January 07/2017

Sunday, January 1
    8 p.m. -- THE MICK -- Fox
    8:30 p.m. -- RANSOM -- CBS
    9 p.m. -- TO TELL THE TRUTH -- ABC
    9 p.m. -- Worst Cooks In America -- Food
    9 p.m. -- Sherlock -- PBS
    10 p.m. -- Conviction -- ABC (new timeslot)

Monday, January 2
    7 p.m. -- Paradise Run - Nickelodeon
    8 p.m. -- Shadowhunters - Freeform
    8 p.m. -- The Bachelor - ABC
    8 p.m. - The Celebrity Apprentice -- NBC
    8 p.m. - Masterchef Celebrity Showdown - Fox
    9 p.m. -- BEYOND - Freeform

Tuesday, January 3
    8 p.m. -- New Girl -- Fox
    8 p.m. -- THE WALL -- NBC
    8 p.m. -- Seven Year Switch -- FYI
    8:31 p.m. -- The Mick -- Fox (Time Period Premiere)
    9 p.m. -- Chicago Fire -- NBC
    9:01 p.m. -- Bones -- Fox
    10 p.m. -- KISS BANG LOVE -- FYI
    10 p.m. -- Chicago P.D. -- NBC

Wednesday, January 4
    8 p.m. -- Lethal Weapon -- Fox
    8 p.m. -- Blindspot -- NBC
    9 p.m. -- Law & Order: SVU -- NBC
    9:01 p.m. -- Star -- Fox (Time Period Premiere, Actual Pilot Premiere Was Wednesday December 14)
    10 p.m. -- It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia -- FXX
    10 p.m. -- Match Game -- ABC
    10 p.m. -- Too Close To Home -- TLC
    10:30 p.m. -- Man Seeking Woman -- FXX

Thursday, January 5
    8 p.m. -- Hell's Kitchen -- Fox (Special Two-Hour Episode)
    8 p.m. -- Superstore -- NBC
    8:30 p.m. -- The Good Place -- NBC
    9 p.m. -- Nashville - CMT
    9 p.m. -- Chicago Med - NBC
    10 p.m. - The Blacklist- NBC
    10 p.m. - Portlandia - IFC
    ? p.m. - GHOSTS IN THE HOOD - WeTV

Friday, January 6
    12:01 a.m. PT -- ONE DAY AT A TIME -- Netflix
    8 p.m. -- Rosewood -- Fox (Time Period Premiere)
    8 p.m. -- Grimm - NBC (final season premiere)
    9 p.m. -- EMERALD CITY - NBC
    9 p.m. -- Sleepy Hollow -- Fox

Saturday, January 7
    8 p.m. -- Ransom -- CBS (timeslot premiere)
    10 p.m. -- The Guardians -- Animal Planet

Please post any updates I may have missed.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    nlloyd, MacMadame and Buzz like this.
  4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

WAIT!!! Sleepy Hollow is back?! I thought it was gone for good. YAY! :cheer2:

AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  5. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Just so people don't miss it, Chicago PD will also be airing in it's normal Wednesday night spot (10 PM) this week after Tuesday night's crossover eps with Chicago Fire. :)

So excited that several of my shows are back next week! Bring on GRIMM!! :cheer:

AliasJohnDoe and Buzz like this.
  6. AliasJohnDoe

7. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

The season premiere of Homeland is available online and on cable On Demand. It's scheduled to air on TV on Jan. 15. My sister stumbled upon it, and I was very happy to get an early viewing!

8. AliasJohnDoe

9. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

The Golden Globes are on next Sunday at 5pm on NBC. There is an "Arrival" special that precedes it at 4pm.

After Grimm, there are the first two episodes of Emerald City. I was excited when I saw it in my TV listings, but after watching the trailer, I'm feeling somewhat hesitant. It doesn't look like there will be any lightness to the show. Looks kind of like Oz of Thrones... :shuffle:

Tesla and Buzz like this.
  10. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I haven't been crazy about the commercials for it but I'm going to give it a chance. I plan on catching it on Hulu, as it's too difficult to watch things live.

PeterG likes this.
  11. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

12. AliasJohnDoe

13. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Just watched Ransom - liked it enough to watch again.

ballettmaus and shutterbug like this.
  14. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Season 5 trailer for Nashville which will begin tomorrow night on CMT in the US and on the W Network in Canada. I was really excited to hear that there would be a new team taking over the creative direction of the show. But this trailer makes it look like there's just going to be tons more of the silly melodrama stuff. Hope the show will be a LOT better than this trailer. I'll still keep watching for the music (and Chris Carmack in his beautifully fitting clothes) :lol: but I hope they don't try my patience too much...

Allskate likes this.
  15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The previewed the premier in December and I thought it was first rate. I lurvvve Herskovitz and Zwick!!!!

PeterG and HeatherC like this.
  16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Here is an interesting interview with Connie Britton about the new season. I thought this comment said it all about what happened to the show:

This to me is the key to why a great show went way off the rails beginning at the end of season 3, and of course it didn't help that they had to write around both a pregnancy and extended absence of one of the main stars.

We'll see I guess.

Susan1 and nlloyd like this.
  17. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Off the rails at the end of Season 3? The show went off the rails after the first 3 episodes of Season 1. Those first 3 shows were brilliant, but things went immediately downhill after that. (I think that's about the time the first music consultant bailed.) If they could recapture that genius, I'd turn back in in a heartbeat, but otherwise, no thanks.

PeterG likes this.
  18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

IIRC, T Bone Burnett left after the first season, leaving his #2 in charge. There were still some good songs in season 2 and beyond, but especially now with a few years behind us, it's the season 1 soundtrack that sticks with me. (And the Christmas CD, which was around season 3 I think - it's surprisingly good!)

I don't agree that the beginning of season 1 was the best - certainly it had a ton of promise, but it hadn't yet found its way. Remember there was a lot of time spent on the soapier storylines around Rayna's father, local politics, etc, and (most) fans wanted more of the music industry stories, so they evolved it as much as they could mid season, and then season 2 really focused on it. At the same time, they really developed the core characters, and took plot steps to make it even more about the music.

It was when they started relying on guest stars for three-episode story arcs and as Connie said above, letting the characters be driven by plot that it crumbled for me. Characters that had been very complex turned into one dimensional caricatures (Juliette, Deacon, Avery in particular) whereas as others were shot from mini-plot to mini-plot and never landed anywhere substantial (Gunner, Will, Layla). At the same time, they ditched a lot of potentially interesting characters (Tandy, Liam, Zoey). All seemed so lazy to me.

I didn't watch the second half of last season - all the eps are still in my pvr - but when I heard that it ended with a plane crash/will she survive cliffhanger (so, so desperately unimaginative, and so, so off what the show used to be), I all but gave up entirely. The glimmer of hope is a new network with new show runners, and Connie's remark that they will return to character based storytelling.

But as I said, we'll see.

19. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Superstore and The Good Place may be my favourite sitcom combo.

Seerek likes this.
  20. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I found tonight's Nashville episode promising. They did cut back on the soap and slow down the pace. The last couple of seasons they've been doing so much crazy stuff with Rayna and Deacon that we never got to see them just be a couple together. We may finally be seeing that.

Having said that, if Connie Britton moves on to something else, I wouldn't be frustrated. I'm a fan of hers and preferred to see her with better material, like in Friday Night Lights.

PeterG, HeatherC, manhn and 1 other person like this.
  21. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

At least when it comes to the main networks, I tend to agree with you. I've always have reservations though that TGP's premise would go over too many people's heads.

On another note, I'm slightly surprised that only 3 main network series have been cancelled season-to-date. Networks in the past have been far less patient with renew/cancel decisions.

manhn likes this.
  22. AliasJohnDoe

2017 Mid Season Premiere Schedule for New/Returning Shows: http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...re-schedule-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday January 08/2017 - Saturday January 014/2017

Sunday, January 8
    8 p.m. -- 74th Annual Golden Globe Awards -- NBC

Monday, January 9
    10 p.m. -- Hate Thy Neighbor -- Viceland

Tuesday, January 10
    9 p.m. -- This Is Us-- NBC
    10:00 p.m. -- TABOO-- FX
    10:00 p.m. -- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.-- ABC

Wednesday, January 11
    8 p.m. -- Schitt's Creek -- Pop
    10 p.m. -- Girlfriends Guide To Divorce -- Bravo
    10:30 p.m. -- Full Frontal With Samantha Bee -- TBS
    10:30 p.m. -- JEFF AND SOME ALIENS -- Comedy Central

Thursday, January 12
    8 p.m. -- Hell's Kitchen -- Fox (Time Period Premiere)
    8 p.m. -- Revenge Body with Khloe Kardashian -- E!
    9:01 p.m. -- MY KITCHEN RULES -- Fox
    10 p.m. - Colony - USA
    ? p.m. - FANCY BOY - Seeso
    ? p.m. - MAD FAMILIES - Crackle ORIGINAL movie

Friday, January 13
    12:01 a.m. PT -- A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS -- Netflix
    9 p.m. --Great Performances: Bel Canto The Opera -- PBS (SPECIAL)
    10 p.m. -- The Rap Game -- Lifetime

Saturday, January 14
    11:30 p.m. -- Saturday Night Live -- NBC

Please post any updates I may have missed.

manhn, MacMadame, PeterG and 2 others like this.
  23. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

This Is Us will appear on Tuesday at 10:00 ET this week only due to President Obama's speech at 9:00.

AliasJohnDoe and meggonzo like this.
  24. ballettmaus

Since I have not read otherwise and have actually seen a sneak peek for the episode, Madam Secretary is returning Sunday, January 8th, at 9 p.m. And as far as I know, so is CBS' Sunday lineup in general - NCIS LA at 8 p.m. and Elementary at 10.
    Personally, I find it as mind-boggling as ABC letting Conviction return on January 1st but CBS put its Sunday line-up against the Golden Globes last year as well if memory serves. For it being all about the ratings, networks sure make some strange decisions sometimes.

AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  25. ballettmaus

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  27. Nell411

Nell411 Between the click of the light and

I read this at work and may possibly have squealed a little out of excitement. Now the only show I'll have to wait for is Brooklyn Nine-Nine and since Fox doesn't usually announce renewals this early I will just have to be patient for that one.

AliasJohnDoe and Buzz like this.
  28. AliasJohnDoe

29. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Amazon Prime Video is now available in Canada so last night I took advantage of their 30 day free offer in hopes of getting to watch Goliath with Golden Globe winner Billy Bob Thornton. As it turned out Goliath isn't available in Canada (go figure), but there are a couple of other shows I am interested in, and I may decide to keep it. I started with The Man in the High Castle last night and I really liked it - great show.

Nan and Buzz like this.
  30. ballettmaus

HeatherC and Buzz like this.