1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016-2017 TV Season (Fall-Spring)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AliasJohnDoe, May 19, 2016.

1. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Headcase Addict

2. alexikeguchi

alexikeguchi Well-Known Member

Did anybody watch BBC's The Hollow Crown on PBS? I thought it was a fabulous adaptation, and we have Benedict Cumberbatch as Richard III to look forward to.

skatesindreams likes this.
  3. AliasJohnDoe

4. AliasJohnDoe

5. AliasJohnDoe

6. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

Heads up - Anastasia (the cartoon movie) will be on Christmas Eve at 8 p.m. (Eastern) on Discovery Family Channel. I haven't seen it for at least 10 years. I search for it on the cable guide every Christmas. I'm DVRing it this time. It was the music Tara Lipinski skated to at the 1998 O's. I didn't want her to win, but I loved the music.

7. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Survivor was one of the best seasons in years, yet the winner is meh :(

emason likes this.
  8. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Saw a report about how The Voice winners virtually disappear after the show ends whereas a number of American Idol winners have had success. The report suggested that The Voice is more about the celebs than the contestants.

I haven't watched or followed either show, but somehow found this little tidbit interesting.

BaileyCatts and Jenny like this.
  9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

How many *recent* American Idol finalists have become famous and built a solid career though? I think after a time these types of programs become less of a national sensation (like the early AI seasons, as well as earlly seasons of programs like Survivor, America's Next Top Model, The Bachelor etc), and more just regular tv game shows with only the occasional newsworthy contestant, like Jeopardy for example.

10. Skate Talker

Full disclosure - I pretty much hate reality shows and in particular reality competition shows. If I had to pick one I would go for old-school Jeopardy where they don't take 5 minutes to ask each question, even though the "host gives the answer, contestants provide the question" format drives me nuts. For modern era competitions, I will admit I have watched episodes of the dancing ones, preferring so you think you can dance (not the kiddie version) over dancing with the stars, but watch for the dancing and the personal progression, not the begging for votes, who is safe, etc. garbage. As for straight reality stuff, the only one I watched was the Little Couple.

I really can't wait for Reality TV to go the way of the Western.

Buzz likes this.
  11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Like you, current reality programming (especially the competition ones) doesn't excite me that much. I get into some shows but the formulas become so overdone and the forced narratives and editing make things super ridiculous and desperate to create drama. That said, I don't think reality TV is going any where any time soon. It's been around for decades now. The shows are cheap to produce, there are willing participants, and enough viewers to keep it going. This is really important for networks struggling for ratings for their programming. Reality TV is a natural evolution of cinema verite and a more entertaining, easily digestible documentary even if the ethics of those making the shows aren't the same as a conscientious documentarian. People are seriously interested in the varied lives of others.

12. Skate Talker

I know it is just wishful thinking that Reality will go away. It's just like telemarketing which annoys almost everybody. It continues to thrive because it's profitable if even the response is less than 1%. *sigh*

Anemone likes this.
  13. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I've only watched one season of AI and none of the Voice but part of the reason that I haven't watched The Voice is that everything I've seen about it seems to be about the celebrities. When something from the show "goes viral" it's never the contestants singing but something the celebrities are doing: Like when Dolly Parton, Miley & Pentatonix sang Jolene.

14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am in love with Star. Queen Latifah was fantastic.

15. AliasJohnDoe

16. AliasJohnDoe

17. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

I Want a Dog For Christmas Charlie Brown is on a 8:00 tonight. ABC, I think. I already DVRd it.

Buzz likes this.
  18. AliasJohnDoe

19. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

20. AliasJohnDoe

21. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Still too early to tell. From the final season, all of the top four contestants (MacKenzie Bourg, Dalton Rapattoni, La'Porsha Renae and Trent Harmon) have had singles hit the Billboard charts. Harmon has had two singles reach the top 40 of the country charts. I don't think the first season of The Voice, when it was new and hot, ever produced even this moderate kind of success. Or any other season of The Voice for that matter.

Nick Fradiani from the previous season has had three singles make it to various Billboard charts. Nobody else from season 14 have made it to any Billboard chart, but a few of them have released singles.

Rumour has it that one winner of The Voice did get work. You can see one of the janitors cleaning the studio during a current mentoring session that has an increasingly dimming glow to them as they are cleaning.

:p

22. AliasJohnDoe

23. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am 15 minutes into the first season of The Affair and OMG, every single one of those kids is so darn annoying! Do they get any better? I can't last.

24. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I watched all of Season 1 and 90% of Season 2. For the life of me I cannot figure out why; this show has two of the most unsympathetic leads I've ever seen. Loathsome is the word that springs to mind.

Back away now; it only gets worse.

Desperado and manhn like this.
  25. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

The only reason I've hung onto The Affair is Joshua Jackson, and now in Season 3 even he is annoying me.

manhn and emason like this.
  26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Joshua Jackson is so dreamy. The one who is not Maura Tierney is annoying with her baby voice. Also, the name Lockhart just keeps me reminding of Maura's character on ER.

27. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'm a bit Shakespeared-out right now so haven't watched the full series, but have my PVR all set for Richard III tomorrow night. Because Benedict.

Also looking forward to the new Call the Midwife Christmas episode. Apparently will be set in South Africa.

skatesindreams likes this.
  28. AliasJohnDoe

29. Skate Talker

When will/did that air? I haven't seen a listing. Sure hope I didn't miss it.

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It was shown Christmas Evening on most PBS stations.
    I'm sure it will be repeated.

Check your listings.