From Russia with love [#27]: Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyedwards

Every skater has to deal with competition and it's not like those two were the only thing standing between him and the Olympics (they are hardly consistent, or light years ahead of the rest of the men). You don't come back after two years and expect it will be easy to get a spot on the team. It was just probably too difficult for Artur to get all his jumps back and catch up at a time when everyone else is upping their tech content.

Yeah in order to compete internationally he had to be better than he ever was and much tougher content than in his world bronze and euro silver performances. Russian men aren't keeping up with the world medalists but at least have a big head start over gachinski in trying!

And because of the younger generation too, I suppose. Samarin and Aliev are going senior this coming season.

Yes they also have a head start. They are no vincent zhous and probably won't be competitive internationally but in Russia sure they are tough

Having watched Plushenko come back for two more Olympics, Mishin knows what it means to transition back to full-time training, both physically and psychologically.

Mishin has seen it before and even Plushenko had some problems

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
All true, but IMO Artur should follow his own heart, regardless of whether he makes the Olympic team in 2018 or not.

Last edited:

lala

Plushenko's first comeback was really hard. He was out off competitions for 3 years. He was fat thus he needed to lose 10 kg, he needed to wake up early, etc. But after Vancouver he trained hardly without pause, even if he didn't compete because of his injuries. Before Sochi he had the well-known dangerous surgery but that is special, nothing can be compared to it. I believe Artur has similar problems as Plushenko had before Vancouver.

I would like to see Artur in the Russian team again. Who is better as him? Who has more quads? Kolyada, Aliev, Kovtun...
Kolyada, Aliev I think they are better as him.
Artur can beat Kovtun if he is consistent....but he was also very unstable..
Samarin? I don't think he is better as Artur...

Tinami Amori

You don't give up, don't you? The music (first part) was suggested by Ekaterina and Dmitri and not by Radu Pokltaru, btw. As it says in the article, I believe. ;-)
That was me, not "Shiera" who replied to my 3rd guess, it's not her fault.... :D
I'll read the article again, to keep guessing (in private).... :lol: Blinder Eifer schadet nur (aber nicht mir)... :D

Perky Shae Lynn

Very interesting. Lozko is gorgeous, and seems like a natural for dance. Same with Adian. This can work out very well for both. Lol, I am excited. Can he lift Alisa with his back issues though? Depends on what exactly is wrong with his back, of course. I hope they do well.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Very interesting. Lozko is gorgeous, and seems like a natural for dance. Same with Adian. This can work out very well for both. Lol, I am excited.
Too late for him. He has one year before he needs to move to seniors. Can someone learn ice dance in one year to match his skills to seniors who has been doing it for years? He will be the next Stavitskaya. Lozko would have a chance because she has still can stay for a number of years in juniors, but not if she is partnered with Aidan.

chameleonster

He actually has two years of junior eligibility left, as he will not be 21 before July 1st 2018. I don't know that that will be enough, but he does have a little more time.

zebraswan

He has nothing to lose by trying. He invested his whole life in skating so who is anyone else to tell him not to try? Did Stavitskaya's life end because she hasn't become a top ice dancer in 2 seasons? At least it's an experience, and as far as I know she hasn't given up yet, either. She started out in senior ice dance and never did juniors at all. Besides, I think Adian and Alisa are a bit better skaters than Maria to start with.

I saw one rumor that Elena is training Adian & Alisa...unconfirmed, but it sounds plausible.

hanca

Values her privacy
To have a chance, Aidan either needs to start dating Morozov, or get partnered with someone close to Morozov (his wife or his daughter).

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
If Elena is indeed coaching Lozko/Pitkeev I'll officially crown her as the "savior of Russian Ice dance" (as if it meant something :lol: ) she retired just so she could teach all the other losers how to rebuild a program :EVILLE:

Russian skating (specifically Elena) is giving me life this summer. Let's see how long it takes before she's a powerhouse coach :cheer:

clairecloutier

He has nothing to lose by trying. He invested his whole life in skating so who is anyone else to tell him not to try? Did Stavitskaya's life end because she hasn't become a top ice dancer in 2 seasons? At least it's an experience, and as far as I know she hasn't given up yet, either. She started out in senior ice dance and never did juniors at all. Besides, I think Adian and Alisa are a bit better skaters than Maria to start with.

Completely agree. What is the harm of trying, at this point? They may not make it to the top, but then again how many people do? And it's not like the Russian ice dance field is so deep anyhow right now.

Dobre

And it's not like the Russian ice dance field is so deep anyhow right now.

I think it is very plausibly the deepest junior ice dance field in the world right now.

Russia has five junior ice dance teams with JGP medals, all age-eligible.

#4 at Junior Worlds-Shpilevaya & Smirnov (the second highest ranked team in the world remaining in juniors this season, 2 JGP silvers, 1 JGP bronze, 1 JGPF qualification, Youth Olympics Gold)

#5 at Junior Worlds-Skoptsova & Aleshin (the third highest ranked team in the world remaining in juniors this season, 2 JGP silver, 2 JGP bronze, 1 JGPF qualification, Youth Olympics Bronze)

#8 on the JGP-Polischuk & Vakhnov (the fourth highest ranked team from last year's JGP remaining in juniors this season, 1 JGP silver, 2 JGP bronze)

#10 on the JGP-Ushakova & Nekrasov (the fifth highest ranked team from last year's JGP remaining in juniors this season, 2 JGP bronze in their first year on the JGP)

#11 on the JGP-Shevchenko & Eremenko (the sixth highest ranked team from last year's JGP remaining in juniors this season, 3 JGP bronze)

Essentially Russia has the #2, #3, #4, #5, and #6 ranked dance teams in the World in Juniors right now.

U.S. ice dance (and Lajoie & Lagha) may give them a run for their money, but the experience and the depth in the junior field is with team Russia this season.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I stand corrected. ;)

I will say, though, medals aside, I wasn't really taken with any of the three Russian junior teams at Junior Worlds .... I haven't seen the others.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Dobre

I stand corrected. ;)

I will say, though, medals aside, I wasn't really taken with any of the three Russian junior teams at Junior Worlds .... I haven't seen the others.

I am taken with Loboda & Drozd.:) I liked their programs better the year before, but I like them as a team because they can tell a story.

Going to see them at Skate Canada.

I liked Skoptscova & Aleshin's blues SD very well also this season. Their choreography was very "busy" the year before, but I felt the blues suited them.

lala

While I'm not sure that there has been an official announcement yet, Alisa Lozko confirmed that she will be switching to dance and that Adian will be her partner.
:respec::cheer:

They will be very sharming pair together! Two beautiful young persons!!! If they will be succesful the fans will be crazy about them

adelia

Too late for him. He has one year before he needs to move to seniors. Can someone learn ice dance in one year to match his skills to seniors who has been doing it for years? He will be the next Stavitskaya. Lozko would have a chance because she has still can stay for a number of years in juniors, but not if she is partnered with Aidan.
Last I recall you also said Ilinykh would NEVER help train Morozov's daughter. So much for predictions.

SamuraiK

While I'm not sure that there has been an official announcement yet, Alisa Lozko confirmed that she will be switching to dance and that Adian will be her partner.

IM usually really :blah::blah: with 3rd-4th tier skaters switching disciplines so late in the game just to stay afloat in the deep field. But Adian's departure was so premature and he was so promising that im willing to blindly root for them. At least they can't do worse than Davankova or Stavitskaya, right??

Plus they are so young and russian dance is in such a sad state that they could be hopefuls for 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information