SKATING magazine's Readers' Choice Skater(s) of the Year Award (Michelle Kwan Trophy)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
In case all y'all wanna vote

http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/skating-magazine-readers-choice

So, no Scimerim just cause they weren't at Nats? I forgot those were the rules. Hmmmm....

Voting for the 2017 Readers' Choice Award will be conducted exclusively via icenetwork. Voting will be open from June 26-July 2.

Eligible skaters are:
  • The top five senior-level skaters/teams at the 2017 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships
  • U.S. medalists at the 2017 World Junior Figure Skating Championships
  • The top three senior teams at the 2017 U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships
  • U.S. medalists at the 2017 World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships
The winner will be presented the Michelle Kwan Trophy at the 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships or 2018 U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships.

Im undecided this year (usually Im not). Thinking of Chen, Chen and maybeeeee Nagasu. Im sure Ill go with one of the Chen's. Or the Shibs... hmmmmm

Added later: hmmm Maybe Zhou... well, maybe he has another year or two to earn it but Jr World Champ. I got to think more.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
It has to be Chen. Nathan Chen. Nathan Chen will win this or it'll be Karen Chen. Lu Chen would agree, or maybe she'd vote for Ashley. Lu Chen is right.

:confused: I think I'll go with Ashley. Shibs or Hubbell/Donohue would also suffice IMO!

None of the pairs that competed at Nationals deserve it, unless it's Deanna.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
5/6 quads is so many quads. I've changed my vote from Ashley to Nathan Chen. He was a total :rockstar: this year even though he messed up one competition (Worlds). He still did 6 quads and beat Hanyu at 4CC, I just hate voting for Nathan over Jason Brown. But I'll grow a pair and just do it.

Debbie S

Today I think I'll vote for the only skaters who went undefeated, internationally and nationally, this season. :)
Maybe they'll be the first juniors to win. :) But as much as I love them, I had to vote for Nathan. ;)

Spun Silver

I voted for at least six skaters or sets of skaters (so far). But one got a couple more votes than the others. :)

VGThuy

It will probably be Nathan and he would be a deserving winner. I'm voting for the Shibs because of my inability to be objective, but then they did win both their GP events, medaled at every competition this season, managed to be the highest placing American overall in all of their match ups against C/B and H/D and was the only team other than V/M and P/C to score over 110 in the FD every time they competed, scored a 115+ in the FD at Four Continents...a score range only hit by P/C and V/M this past season, and were the only Americans to medal at Worlds. But then Nathan placed second at the GPF and won 4CC and he's a major part of the quad revolution.

LOL, can I get an Amen?

Amen!

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
It has to be Chen. Nathan Chen. Nathan Chen will win this or it'll be Karen Chen. Lu Chen would agree, or maybe she'd vote for Ashley. Lu Chen is right.

:confused: I think I'll go with Ashley. Shibs or Hubbell/Donohue would also suffice IMO!

None of the pairs that competed at Nationals deserve it, unless it's Deanna.

Come on, if it's Deanna, then Nate deserves at least some credit too. Deanna is crazy good and defiant of the passage of time, but she can't do pairs all by herself. She and Nate were definitely inspiring and lovely in the SP at U.S. Nats, and so were Cain/LeDuc, in the SP. Too bad the SP is not the only thing that counts in competitions. If that were the case, then sure Hub/Don coming in 3rd in SD at Worlds deserves huge recognition. Well, it still does anyway. They did work hard to an amazing level against the odds this year, and they stuck to their SD vision, and they had one of the best choreographed FDs of the season. I'll never forget their reaction at Helsinki Worlds in the kiss 'n cry after the SD; after the FD, I'm forgetting, and it took me several months to even bear to witness their post-FD kiss 'n cry; once was enough. :fragile: I prefer to remember H/D's SD and Madi's recent wise blog reflections, and the start of their season at Skate America! :saint:

But again, these votes tend to go by winning accomplishments. If it was about grit, competitive chutzpah, and #GetUp flair, then Jason Brown should win in a tie. If it's by medals won, then Karen Chen comes up short because it was close but no cigar at the 2017 World championships. Saving U.S. ladies cookies at Worlds matters of course. :D But Karen is still trying on her competitive wings for size. Ashley Wagner did not have a bad year, but it really wasn't up to what she is capable of doing, so no.

Maia and Alex are also deserving in the votes for the second year in a row. They put the pedal to the medal right out of the gate at Skate America. They exceeded expectations and were amazing, especially under pressure, as usual! A cool pair of champions!!! :cool: I would also say that Junior World Ice Dance champs Rachel & Michael Parsons deserve some votes for their huge accomplishments this past season!

Bottom line though, NATHAN CHEN, in a landslide I'm guessing... The skating world has run out of adjectives to describe his heroics, despite the nervous ubers of other male skaters not yet having run out of snarky complaints. :lol:

N-A-T-H-A-N C-H-E-N :respec:

Last edited:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
It should be Nathan Chen. It's been a while since the U.S. has had a singles skater deliver that level of results as a first year senior. The Shibutanis are also deserving, but to me Nathan makes more sense I guess.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Yep, I agree. The Shibs did win last year. I guess it's easy to forget from year-to-year. Michelle Kwan won an amazing seven times, and two times in a row, and three times in a row. That's why the award is named after her.

I don't know what happened to the list with 2016 included. It's out there on the Internet somewhere. Below is the list through 2015. The Shibs did win in 2016. Scimeca/Knierim won in 2015.

http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84178&menu=skatingmagazine

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ Thats what I was leaning towards in the end too.

Didn't Karen break the Nats record? was it for the SP??

And I can't remember did Cain & LeDuc break a SP score too? No...

VGThuy

Nathan, the Shibs, and Karen all broke the short program records at 2017 Nationals. I found it to be a high scoring Nationals overall. Obviously, Nathan Chen also broke the Mens LP record too with his historic 5-quad performance.

DDNatalia

Nathan has certainly made a splash and is destined for an amazing future, but in my book, the Shibs have PROVEN over the years that they understand what it means to "walk the walk" of US champions. They work harder than any of the current generation of skaters to promote and represent the sport to a broad audience beyond the skating world.

Maia and Alex have proven their character as people and mettle as competitors, over many years. Being generous in unprecedented ways with fans. Showing grace amidst adversity. Delivering when the chips are down.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^^ Thats what I was leaning towards in the end too.

Didn't Karen break the Nats record? was it for the SP??

And I can't remember did Cain & LeDuc break a SP score too? No...

Cain/LeDuc came close to the sp Nats scoring record I believe set the prior year by Kayne/O'Shea. Close but no cigar. And the score record-breaking business is not all the meaningful in any case for figure skating, especially under IJS/COP, and especially not for a Nationals competition, as we jaded fs fans realize.

More meaningful IMHO is Cain/LeDuc winning the PSA award for best 2017 U.S. Nationals pairs performance with their sp. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNlkN7bhk6k I wish there was a silent announcer version :drama:

USFS adding the WATCH video clip feature to this voting page is useless with the annoying Progressive life insurance ad running in an unending loop, not allowing any clips to play. :rolleyes: Oh yeah, but no surprise wherever IceNetwork video is involved. :drama: :wall:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Bumping up this year-old thread...

Nathan Chen Repeats as Winner of Readers' Choice Award: http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.c...of-readers-choice-award.aspx?path=figureskate
Chen received 30.3 percent of the vote, which was conducted online via the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone between June 25 and July 2. Each year since 1989, skating fans have been asked to vote for the eligible skater(s) whom they believe is most deserving of the award based on the accomplishments of the past season.

Finishing second was Adam Rippon, with 18.1 percent of the vote and the Skyliners junior team that placed third with 15.7 percent.
"Thanks to all my fans for this prestigious honor," Chen said. "When I look at the list of great skaters who have won this award multiple times, I'm humbled and honored to be in such select company. Having that support means everything to me as I continue to chase my skating dreams.

"I'm looking forward to this season and being able to say thank you in person at the various events in which I will be competing."

Chen will receive the coveted Michelle Kwan Trophy at the 2019 U.S. Championships in Detroit in January. The Michelle Kwan Trophy in a one-of-a-king crystal sculpture that's produced by Crystal Signatures in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information