U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
They are going to put these banners in Riverside? Why wouldn't they put them in San Fran where he is a member?
Zhou originally was a member of the Peninsula Skating Club in San Jose, CA (where he won his 2012 U.S. Novice title [eta] as well as the Intermediate title the year before); he switched to All Year FSC the following season when he won his Junior title.

Correction: When he came back to competition two years ago, he joined the Broadmoor SC for 2015-16. This past season he represented the SC of SF.

His primary coach, Tammy Gambill, coaches him at the IceTown rink in Riverside, California.

Last edited:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I wanted an olympics for Rippon,but I think the best options (if all healthy) would be any combination of Chen, Zhou, Farris and Brown.

Farris is the biggest question mark but honestly he's also the biggest natural talent of the 4.

Id say Brown should be the odd man out but he's also the one who id bet money on skating clean.

Zhou's skating still needs some polishing but his technical scoring potential makes him hard to not consider

Chen needs no explanation. An underwhelming Chen was 6th at worlds on his first try. You can't keep skaters like that at home.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Look, I absolutely love Joshua. It broke my heart when he left us and it's made me sing every day since he announced the return.

But I'm getting really sick of seeing people picking a guy who's been out for two years with a serious head injury over a hardworking skater with good competition results, who is proven to have landed multiple quads in a free (since that's all-important now even though it wasn't for the last four years), whose "bad" season involved finishing 5th and 4th in his GPs and winning medals at Challenger events (oh, the horror!) and then an uncharacteristically bad moment at Nationals.

No matter how much you want him to, Max is not going to go away quietly.

misskarne

Nobody said that he is, that's just how you're choosing to interpret it.

So people naming just about everyone but Max is supposed to be what, happy sunshines and rainbows? People saying that Joshua is in with a better chance of the Olympic team is somehow not throwing Max on the trash heap?

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
He was out of the top 5 at Nationals and has to work his way back into the group, your extreme reactions are only getting you more and more worked up about it. Everyone knows you adore Max, and maybe everyone avoids talking about him in general because they know you'll reply with something nasty.

Nobody is writing him off, but there are another 6-7 men in contention for 3 spots besides him. Maybe he'll be one of the 3 men at the end, maybe not.

VGThuy

I think people are just naming people that they personally want on the team and/or for their own reasons think has a shot to make the team. People naming Farris without really seeing him yet is based on blind faith and their ideas of what his potential is. I know you are not forgetting Max, and as a fan it sucks when it seems others aren't considering Max when you think they should. I also know it sucks when one of your faves isn't a forum/fan fave. But there's no need to take it so personally. Some times people not mentioning Max isn't meant to be an insult or a slight on him, it's just that for one reason or another, he's just not on people's radar. It happens. There are a lot of U.S. men who are similarly ranked as Max (or even higher from Nationals) who aren't being mentioned in those posts either.

misskarne

He was out of the top 5 at Nationals and has to work his way back into the group, your extreme reactions are only getting you more and more worked up about it..

And Joshua hasn't even been to Nationals in two years, hasn't even set blade to competition ice in that time, and all we have is videos of him doing quads in practice and a show where he did a 3S, a 3A and a 2Lz, but people are counting him and not Max as a contender. You don't see the hypocrisy here?

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Okay :lol: then take Josh's name out. I don't understand why you're getting upset over just that tidbit, because even without Josh there's still at least 6 men vying for 3 spots. Maybe Max will be one of them.

I think part of it is just because people are really excited to see Josh back, and Max's last big competition was his worst US Nationals ever. I think that's why the hypocrisy is there.

Josh is a very artistic skater, so most people are using 'best case scenario' mindset when thinking of him. He's one of the only US men who can (or "could" I should say) compete with Jason/Adam at their best artistically.

VGThuy

And Joshua hasn't even been to Nationals in two years, hasn't even set blade to competition ice in that time, and all we have is videos of him doing quads in practice and a show where he did a 3S, a 3A and a 2Lz, but people are counting him and not Max as a contender. You don't see the hypocrisy here?

Misskarne, you yourself put Joshua on the team (with Nathan and Max) over a bunch of other skaters who have been competing in the past two years, some of them having some nice results in those two years.

misskarne

Okay :lol: then take Josh's name out. I don't understand why you're getting upset over just that tidbit, because even without Josh there's still at least 6 men vying for 3 spots.

Well, I mean, I could always go on. People are putting Jason and Adam (who again, wasn't even at Nationals) ahead of Max, but the status of their quads is practically non-existent, and isn't it all about quads these days? (Oh, wait...) People are putting Vincent ahead of Max, but Vincent can't even consistently rotate his quads, let alone consistently land them.

Josh is a very artistic skater, so most people are using 'best case scenario' mindset when thinking of him. He's one of the only US men who can (or "could" I should say) compete with Jason/Adam at their best artistically.

Ah, of course. The obsession with a certain definition of artistry.

Misskarne, you yourself put Joshua on the team (with Nathan and Max) over a bunch of other skaters who have been competing in the past two years, some of them having some nice results in those two years.

I'm open about this being what I want to happen and not necessarily will. There are plenty of people bandying it about as a "factual contenders list" who are leaving Max off it but will have Joshua on it.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I know, and I get it. I do think Max is awesome as a person/jumper, but he's not as artistic as some of the other men, so I'm always harder on those skaters in comparison. (Nathan Chen, same thing)

Max is totally capable of upsetting Jason Brown, who is my favorite men's skater, if he's injured or not landing a 3axel though. I mean :wall: but Jason gets 9.25-9.75 (occasional 10) for PCS in his 'best case scenario', Adam a notch just below plus he made the GPF, Nathan Chen is Nathan freakin' Chen now, BTW those are the past 3 US Men's champions that I listed, and Vincent is the junior world champion, was 2nd at US Nats last year, quad lutzes, and etc. etc. - these are all of the reasons why Max isn't getting the same attention as these skaters, right now, in comparison.

tylersf

I enjoy reading and participating in these discussions, because it's fun to exchange ideas.

However, I feel like some people become mortally wounded (to the point of needing therapy or medical attention) when people disagree with them on who should be on the team, artistry vs. athleticism, limiting the number of quads or not, skater music choices, etc..

So let's enjoy the upcoming Olympic cycle and not take it too seriously unless you are financially invested in whether or not someone makes the top team or is placed on the team unfairly.

olympic

Right now, the biggest bets for the Olympic team are - Chen, Brown, Rippon in that order.

The next 3 are Zhou, Farris, Aaron; the men who have a legitimate shot at picking a spot should they nail their programs - and/or- any one of the top 3 falter.

I think Zhou would need a 4Z, 4F and the 4S, plus a Kwan-like 95-96 transformation for the judges to consider him over someone like Rippon or Brown. Farris would need his 2015 4CCs performances w/ a clean quad to be considered, and Aaron would just have to load up the TES w/ 4S and 4T perhaps repeated, and pray.

RoseRed

I'm the most invested in Jason, Adam, and Max, and I also think it would be pretty cool for Josh to make the team. So I guess those would be the ones I want, but of course I think that as it stands now Nathan has to be on the team. I wouldn't have a problem with Vincent making it, I'm just not invested in him right now.

concorde

Right now, the biggest bets for the Olympic team are - Chen, Brown, Rippon in that order.

The next 3 are Zhou, Farris, Aaron; the men who have a legitimate shot at picking a spot should they nail their programs - and/or- any one of the top 3 falter.

I think Zhou would need a 4Z, 4F and the 4S, plus a Kwan-like 95-96 transformation for the judges to consider him over someone like Rippon or Brown. Farris would need his 2015 4CCs performances w/ a clean quad to be considered, and Aaron would just have to load up the TES w/ 4S and 4T perhaps repeated, and pray.

Hugh? Zhou got 2nd at National but USFS opted to send him to Junior Worlds (and won!). Did I think that was the right decision? No, but I cannot argue since the end result secured 3 Olympic spots.

I LOVE Adam but I really think Vincent is above Adam in the pecking order. I would also put Vincent above Jason but that is a personal opinion because Jason's style has never floated my boat.

VGThuy

I can see people putting Adam and Jason ahead of Vincent as of right now. The USFS put a less rough than Vincent Nathan Chen in third at 2016 Nationals despite having all of those quads. Adam was not able to compete at 2017 Nationals due to injury but was coming off of what was his most successful GP season and Jason was coming back from injury and skated in less-than-optimal health at Nationals. Jason has shown he is a competitor and could be counted on for a respectable to amazing performance and a respectable result. Adam is a question mark coming into this season, but if he has a quad and the judges continue to give him great GOE and PCS, then he could be a threat to Vincent. It will be in Vincent's best interest to make sure he upgrades his quads AND fully rotates them all of the time and to clean up his skating if he wants to be more of a sure thing to make the team. The types of scores Jason and Adam get internationally even without consistent quads is rare, but they get them and it makes them competitive. Now, once Vincent starts doing Nathan-like variety of quads, the situation changes. Cleaning up his skating will improve his PCS to make him more competitive with Adam and Jason there (even if there is still a huge gap).

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
They are going to put these banners in Riverside? Why wouldn't they put them in San Fran where he is a member?
IceTown purchased the banner. They have done it for other skaters such as Richard Dornbush, Dennis Phan, etc.

Spiralgraph

I think that there are at least six top male contenders for the three Olympic spots. Jason, Nathan, Max, Adam, Joshua and Vincent.

What we also should consider is that our last three USA champions have had serious injuries to overcome. And when you add in Josh's concussions and Max's problems there's a chance that injuries will play a significant role in who gets on our Olympic team. To assume everyone will be injury free and healthy is unlikely in my opinion. Not when quadomania is rampant. I have my personal top three, but whoever is selected I'll support. Like in 2016, it may be that an alternate gets on the team.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I think the Max train came, went and is outta sight now.

I love him but I feel he is wayyyyyy too much of a head case ala Alissa Csizny.

The last time I saw greatness from him was when he won Skate America which I think will now be 3 seasons ago. He seemed a shoo-in for the GPF but then bombed his second event.

His music choices have all been questionable since and he is way too inconsistent.

Unless something major happens this season I don't see him punching his ticket.

And people can love and pick Joshua all they want and need. Im sick of a lotta things too but c'est la vie.

Rock2

I think Farris is such a wild card but I think we all agree that if he shows up ready to compete and with quads he's seriously in the mix.

My gut tells me that at least 2 of the people going to Korea will have to consistently show quads in both the short and long program. And I'm not sure that doing just one in the entire national event will be enough.
That makes me reluctant to think both Brown and Rippon could make the Olympic team unless we see a real upgrade in technical skillset this fall.

I really feel bad this cycle for the talented skaters who are low on quads who effectively had the rug pulled out from underneath them in the last two years by the push for quad upgrades that few saw coming to this level this quickly. Rippon, Brown, Miner, Johnson, Dolensky etc (and then guys like Kolyada, Chan, Brezina, etc on the world stage) have been potentially thrust so far back in the pack and have so little time to play catch up as their last Olympic cycle (for many) winds down. This year is so exciting yet such a bummer all in one.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
For some reason I'm expecting Adam to have his best season technically, including a quad in the SP/LP. A lot of it is hope, I just really love his "Birds" LP and want him to have a good year. Jason I could see with no quad, but I think that Adam (he has Raf and trains with Nathan, so..) will have one by US Nats in each program. PCS will be the deciding factor on this team if everyone is at their best IMO. Jason and Adam have a big advantage here for the last two spots over the field right now.

Spun Silver

For some reason I'm expecting Adam to have his best season technically, including a quad in the SP/LP. A lot of it is hope, I just really love his "Birds" LP and want him to have a good year. Jason I could see with no quad, but I think that Adam (he has Raf and trains with Nathan, so..) will have one by US Nats in each program. PCS will be the deciding factor on this team if everyone is at their best IMO. Jason and Adam have a big advantage here for the last two spots over the field right now.
I would really like to know what that reason of yours is. :)

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
My reason seems to be Raf and Nathan Chen. :COP: and extra motivation because of his injury, and the clean 4lutzes that Adam was landing at Worlds practices in Boston, and the clean quad toe that he did last season. Also lots of optimism. :)

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I really feel bad this cycle for the talented skaters who are low on quads who effectively had the rug pulled out from underneath them in the last two years by the push for quad upgrades that few saw coming to this level this quickly. Rippon, Brown, Miner, Johnson, Dolensky etc (and then guys like Kolyada, Chan, Brezina, etc on the world stage) have been potentially thrust so far back in the pack and have so little time to play catch up as their last Olympic cycle (for many) winds down. This year is so exciting yet such a bummer all in one.

Well, I don't really think with Rippon, Brown, Miner, or Johnson, that just a few more years of a "quads are everything" mindset would make a damn bit of difference. They have their limitations and they do what they can. Dolensky, more or less is in the same boat but younger and if the Cains can bring more consistency to his 3ax and quad, he could, in theory, accomplish at least as much as a Kolyada, assuming there is some room on the team with Chen and Zhou post 2018. The Cains is an interesting place to be because in my head, Alexei K. is the strongest competition for that 3rd spot if Brown, Rippon, and Farris don't skate past 2018....but who knows...

Tavi

Well, I don't really think with Rippon, Brown, Miner, or Johnson, that just a few more years of a "quads are everything" mindset would make a damn bit of difference. They have their limitations and they do what they can. Dolensky, more or less is in the same boat but younger and if the Cains can bring more consistency to his 3ax and quad, he could, in theory, accomplish at least as much as a Kolyada, assuming there is some room on the team with Chen and Zhou post 2018. The Cains is an interesting place to be because in my head, Alexei K. is the strongest competition for that 3rd spot if Brown, Rippon, and Farris don't skate past 2018....but who knows...

For the record, Jason is 22, more than two years younger than Tim, who will be turning 25 next month.

Bellanca

The strongest team might not be comprised of fan favorites. Most likely, it won’t be - and shouldn’t be.

The skaters who are doing quads or that have a level of difficulty surpassing their teammates could certainly see an advantage, and be chosen to represent their country.

It usually isn't (and shouldn't be) ALL about the jumps, but for the moment, it is. The focus has been to emphasize the technical talents, etc. Also, many federations will take an extended look at their skaters who are doing these jumps, and, most likely, name them to their teams … especially, and more importantly, if they have a solid season and a strong Nationals. This should not be overlooked, considering the podium to be the goal.

ETA: There is only one certain outcome that we can all accurately predict at this moment, and that is there will be disappointed and heartbroken skaters and fans alike when the team is announced. Everyone will survive, though. We've been through this before.

Last edited:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Yeah, as hardworking as he may be I wouldn't be one to put my eggs on Dolensky suddenly gaining consistent 3axel AND quad when he hasn't had them before when already in his mid 20's. There's examples like Brown, but its been a struggle with his big jumpsncinse his junior days and he's barely seeing his hard work pay off last season after several injuries. I know there's examples like Wagner, but even she had a "3-3" as a sonogram, even if it wasn't the prettiest of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information