2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

Tinami Amori

Ha! so this is the famous "theme" from La la Land.... Have not seen the movie.. but it sure sounds a lot like "An" ("Perhaps") from a Greek movie in 2012... somebody got ripped off.... :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECgM6oppdwA

........ and come to think of it there are similarities with music parts in Truffaut's "Les Quatre Cents Coups"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxSJq6sEdro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JQCdGVt3s8&index=1&list=PLC60D55B79030AB06

.... and "Cinema Paradiso"...... and about 10 Nino Rota's pieces...... :D

Last edited:

VGThuy

I don't even remember that Yuzu skated to it. It's also been done by other skaters before and after Yuzu 2012, so what's one more?

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I liked Yuzuru's 2012 R&J--it was the first program of his that interested me--but I don't know as I'd consider it definitive or iconic to him-- just a good program. Of his pre-2015 work, "Parisienne Walkways" is my favorite. (That was 2014, right??)

Dobre

It's Romeo and Juliet. The story has been told about 1,000,000 times on ice. For me, this particular version belongs to Fusar-Poli & Margaglio, who were--as far as I can recall--the first athletes to win a world title with it.

No originality points to Vincent for selecting the music. Though if it is devoid of bell-bottoms, wings, bleeding hearts on the front of his costume, and motorcycle crashes, he should be completely safe from most of my F-P&M comparisons;).

chapis

Romeo and Juliet options are : Nino Rota, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Movie version 2013 and Romeo+Juliet movie, Is there any other?. I remember a lot of people using Nino Rota and recently everyone skating the soundtrack of the new movie from 2013 (i am already sick of that version :wall:). There are other good programs using Romeo+Juliet sountrack? the first time I heard was with Yuzu :duh:, I want to watch other programs using this music.

Sylvia

TBD
"Kissing You" (both song and instrumental version) has been way overused in recent years by skaters, understandably, because it's a pretty/lyrical melody.
Romeo and Juliet options are : Nino Rota, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Movie version 2013 and Romeo+Juliet movie, Is there any other?
There's also a French musical -- Roméo et Juliette: de la Haine a l’Amour" by Gérard Presgurvic -- used by Pogrebinsky/Benoit in their 2015-16 Junior free dance together with the Romeo+Juliet 1996 film soundtrack. It's been a recent fad to mix different R&J versions into one program -- not sure I like it.

On a related note, Bradie Tennell's Cinderella free skate uses the tick-tock clock section from the Prokofiev ballet for her footwork and music from (I think) the 2015 Cinderella live action film, including the "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" song at the beginning. Benoit Richaud choreographed her program.

chapis

ok, in my opinion Yuzu´s version is by far the best, I could be biased because I already watched that program like 500 times :shuffle:.

J/C I liked it but too much technical errors in the version that I watched it. I could not focus in the performance, and they neither.
Han Yan, skating skills to die for, but no emotion
Moore-Towers & Marinaro, dull
Michelle K., nice
Fusar-Poli & Margaglio, too old to play Romeo and Juliet, costumes too much typical, voice-over, I did not feel the romantic chemestry, it is R&J after all, Yuzu skating alone, looks more like a boy with a broken heart than these two people.

And eveyone using voice-over versions :huh:.

VGThuy

I liked Yuzuru's 2012 R&J--it was the first program of his that interested me--but I don't know as I'd consider it definitive or iconic to him-- just a good program. Of his pre-2015 work, "Parisienne Walkways" is my favorite. (That was 2014, right??)

I agree with you. It was nice, and Yuzuru skated to it well overall, but it also seemed sort of run-of-the-mill to me and Yuzuru seemed to skate through a lot of that music up until the last moment with the choreo sequence that I've now grown used to for Mens IJS-era skaters. I guess it was exciting at the time because it was his breakthrough and the way he "came alive" at the end was exciting and was a contrast to Patrick Chan.

Last edited:

binbinwinwin

Romeo and Juliet options are : Nino Rota, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Movie version 2013 and Romeo+Juliet movie, Is there any other?. I remember a lot of people using Nino Rota and recently everyone skating the soundtrack of the new movie from 2013 (i am already sick of that version :wall:). There are other good programs using Romeo+Juliet sountrack? the first time I heard was with Yuzu :duh:, I want to watch other programs using this music.

Here's a Romeo and Juliet FD using the music from the french musical, very nice program for a junior team

personally I like Anissina/Peizerat's Romeo and Juliet to Prokofiev's version a lot

Last edited:

Meoima

^ Whose music doesn't matter. The performances matter though. The point is regardless of the music, you still make people remember you.
Yuzuru certainly made many people remember his Romeo 1.0 in WC 2012 at the age of 17. I don't think he was carried away by the bombastic music at the beginning and the end. He was very much into it. His style is actually very dramatic despite his poor stamina due to asthma. I think it's good that he has trained rigorously to improve his stamina since then.

The romeo 1.0 video has over 2 million views, thus many other videos of the same performance gets up to almost half million views. So it's a success for Yuzuru. Most fans still remember his Romeo 1.0 as his best program pre 2014.

As for the music, it doesn't matter who will skate to it. Music is just a vehicle for the performance.

However I have to say, Han Yan's Romeo and Juliet was absolutely WEIRD... and that voiceover was... I don't know what to say. Lori killed me.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
It seems appropriate somehow, here is Lang & Tchernyshev's "Parisienne Walkways" from 2002 (tm)
https://youtu.be/pc_hSrLA4VQ

I prefer this one to Yuzuru's myself. R&J of all pieces is trademarked to nobody though :shuffle: just figure skating in general.

I have no choice but to love Ashley's La La Land now somehow, I still think it's :blah: to do an Olympic LP, in your final Olympic season, to a program that everybody else will be doing. It's a theme that won't only be tied with her, and because of that it's not going to be as memorable as "Moulin Rouge" IMO. I will effing love it though (I'd be a rotten fan if I didn't).

But whatever, Ryan Gosling - get that ass Ashley!! (For the rest of us) :kickass: :glamor: NBC will be all over that if she plays up the Ryan Gosling-crush, the music will become more likable with time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information