The 2017 Track & Field Thread

ilovepaydays

I am a tad surprised that no one has yet brought up Nike's Breaking2 Project.

Nike has been working with Olympic Marathon champ Eliud Kipchoge, half marathon world-record holder Zersenay Tadese, and two-time Boston winner Lelisa Desisa to train and run the first sub-2 hour marathon. This includes tweaking with their "magic shoes" as well as whatever insane fitness workouts they have been doing.

The race is scheduled for sometime during May 6-8 at the Formula One Track in Monza, Italy.
It will be live-streamed, but there's isn't information on that yet.

Does anyone here think that they will succeed? BTW, the world record in the men's marathon is currently 2:02:57 (Dennis Kimetto, 2014 Berlin Marathon). I think that if conditions are nice, the world record could be broken. But no way will it be broken by 3 minutes.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I thought I read originally they were going to do it on an indoor track. I think doing it on a track (even if outdoor) and picking ideal weather conditions will help a lot.

The track will cut down on extraneous mileage (I ran an extra .25 mi in last Sunday's marathon trying to avoid running on the banked part of the road. It added minutes to my time). And having perfect weather will cut down on the slowdown that happens when it's hot and make hydration and nutrition easier. It should also make pacing easier as there won't be terrain to complicate things.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Doha Diamond League

Men's Javelin competition was excelent! battle of the hottest, Thomas Rohler throwing 93.90m!!! against Johannes Vetter who threw 89.68 amazing. Rohler's throw is the 2nd best of all time and if the new rules apply once they wipe out records pre-1995 then this would be the New World Record for the event

Throw
https://youtu.be/Lpcon54Fk4E

Full Highlights
https://youtu.be/4F3sRnM0MyU

Elaine Thompson beat Dafne Schippers for the 200m with a 22 time and strong wind against. Akani Simbine won the 100m over Gatlin, De Grasse and Powell.

Caster Semenya won the 800m in 1:56 time, she was pressured by the kenyan runner, this matchup could be interesting throughout the season and at Worlds in London

ilovepaydays

Doha Diamond League

Men's Javelin competition was excelent! battle of the hottest, Thomas Rohler throwing 93.90m!!! against Johannes Vetter who threw 89.68 amazing. Rohler's throw is the 2nd best of all time and if the new rules apply once they wipe out records pre-1995 then this would be the New World Record for the event

Throw
https://youtu.be/Lpcon54Fk4E

Full Highlights
https://youtu.be/4F3sRnM0MyU

Elaine Thompson beat Dafne Schippers for the 200m with a 22 time and strong wind against. Akani Simbine won the 100m over Gatlin, De Grasse and Powell.

Caster Semenya won the 800m in 1:56 time, she was pressured by the kenyan runner, this matchup could be interesting throughout the season and at Worlds in London

Speaking of Rohler - check out the debut of Team Germany's "New Unlimted". Yes, I have watched this many times. :smokin:

It was obvious after the first lap that Dibaba was going to be fried in the 800m.

The women's 3000m steeplechase is going to be insane. Emma Coburn is going to have to break nine minutes if she is going to medal at Worlds. I'm wondering if the coaching change after Rio (Mark Wetmore to her fiance) is going to be a good idea.

ilovepaydays

Shanghai Diamond League is tomorrow! :D

Official site
Start Lists

Apparently, the athletes' hotel is literally right next to the track. :eek:

Barshim (high jump) has said that he wants to go for the world record this year. We'll see.

The men's and women's discus competitions will be competing at the same time. They will alternate at each round.

Elaine Thompson will run the 100m against a bunch of people who will finish way after her. :lol:

Cute interviews:
Athlete Reporter Shanghai: Omar McLeod quizzes Shaunae Miller-Uibo
Athlete Reporter Shanghai: Omar McLeod reveals all to Shaunae Miller-Uibo

Braulio

And don't forget South Africa's Luvo Manyonga 8.61 metres jump!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FrrMBp2LfQ

Noah Lyles very impressive, 19.90 win in the 200m, the guy is moving up to senior rankings and seems very confident
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQXIdpu2q60

Elaine Thompson smashed the field, 10.78

In the 110m hurdles, russian world champion Sergey Shubenkov made his return to the athletics scene after been allowed by IAAF to compete. Aries Merritt on his comeback too after his operation last year.

ilovepaydays

Today, the New York Times published another article of allegations on Alberto Salazar and the Nike Oregon Project. We know from the 2015 BBC documentary and claims from former athletes like Kara Goucher that Salazar pushed his athletes to get therapeutic use exemptions (TUEs) purely to enhance performance, not as a medical necessity.

New York Times (May 19. 2017) - 'This Doesn’t Sound Legal’: Inside Nike’s Oregon Project

Among the new allegations:
  • Dathan Ritzenhein's claim that Salazar pushed him take thyroid medication.
  • That Salazar and Dr. Jeffrey Brown administered "L-carnitine infusion procedures" in, if true, exceeding amounts allowable by WADA/USADA.
  • That Dr. Brown altered medical records of athletes.
  • Tara Welling, in addition to receiving the L-carnitine infusions, recalled Salazar’s abusing medications by giving her the prescription drug Celebrex out of his personal supply.
I don't know what to think now - I used to think that they were just playing within a grey area of the TUE rules. But if I knew of a friend/family member who was a that talented of a runner, I wouldn't recommend the Nike Oregon Project. Probably Bowerman Track Club, Oregon Track Club, or Mark Wetmore's group in Boulder, CO.

ilovepaydays

Thiam is probably the only heptathlate who can ever come close to beating JJK's world record. I don't think she has the problem that Brianne Theisen-Eaton or KJT of peaking too soon in a season. Both had a habit or scoring ~6700-6800 points at Gotzis and then :wall: at Worlds/Olympics.

How about the other shock from this weekend: Tori Bowie defeats Elaine Thompson and wins the Women's 200m at Pre Classic in 21.77! :eek: I still think that Thompson is untouchable in the 100m.

ilovepaydays

Today, the New York Times published another article of allegations on Alberto Salazar and the Nike Oregon Project. We know from the 2015 BBC documentary and claims from former athletes like Kara Goucher that Salazar pushed his athletes to get therapeutic use exemptions (TUEs) purely to enhance performance, not as a medical necessity.

New York Times (May 19. 2017) - 'This Doesn’t Sound Legal’: Inside Nike’s Oregon Project

Among the new allegations:
  • Dathan Ritzenhein's claim that Salazar pushed him take thyroid medication.
  • That Salazar and Dr. Jeffrey Brown administered "L-carnitine infusion procedures" in, if true, exceeding amounts allowable by WADA/USADA.
  • That Dr. Brown altered medical records of athletes.
  • Tara Welling, in addition to receiving the L-carnitine infusions, recalled Salazar’s abusing medications by giving her the prescription drug Celebrex out of his personal supply.
I don't know what to think now - I used to think that they were just playing within a grey area of the TUE rules. But if I knew of a friend/family member who was a that talented of a runner, I wouldn't recommend the Nike Oregon Project. Probably Bowerman Track Club, Oregon Track Club, or Mark Wetmore's group in Boulder, CO.

Update - New York Times (June 8, 2017): Doctor for Nike Oregon Project Runners Is Notified of Doping Allegations

Discuss - are Alberto Salazar & the Nike Oregon Project actually going down?

Also - there are a lot of great U.S. and international meets this week - I will post update ASAP this evening. :D

ilovepaydays

YAY! IT'S U.S. NATIONALS WEEKEND!!!!!!! :cheer2::40beers::biggrinbo:watch::respec:

USATF Nationals webpage
Live Results

What are you most excited to see? I am excited about lots of events, I'm the most interested in what happens with Clayton Murphy's 800m/1500m double attempt. I also think that both women's and men's sprint events will be great to watch!

Seerek

Interesting to see if the qualifiers for London in more than 1 individual event will in fact do both (apparently, Tori Bowie is already on record that she won't do 100m/200m at Worlds like she did in Rio).

ilovepaydays

Interesting to see if the qualifiers for London in more than 1 individual event will in fact do both (apparently, Tori Bowie is already on record that she won't do 100m/200m at Worlds like she did in Rio).

I think Christian Coleman will do both the 100m & 200m (as well as the 4X100m relay) - he has that Nike contract that's apparently seven figures. I think Deajah Stevens will do both as well - she has nothing to lose. The 100m is a much better event for Bowie, anyway.

The men's shot put was absolutely insane. Ryan Crouser........:eek:

Shall we discuss what a stupid idea it was for Clayton Murphy to attempt both the 800m & 1500m this weekend? Especially given how deep both fields were. And then there was how hot it was in Sacramento and going through those rounds.....

SpeedySucks

I think Christian Coleman will do both the 100m & 200m (as well as the 4X100m relay) - he has that Nike contract that's apparently seven figures. I think Deajah Stevens will do both as well - she has nothing to lose. The 100m is a much better event for Bowie, anyway.

The men's shot put was absolutely insane. Ryan Crouser........:eek:

Shall we discuss what a stupid idea it was for Clayton Murphy to attempt both the 800m & 1500m this weekend? Especially given how deep both fields were. And then there was how hot it was in Sacramento and going through those rounds.....

If I were Bowie, I'd focus on the 200m for London. She has the fastest time in the world this year in that event, Elaine Thompson isn't running it, and Schippers has been running mediocre times this year. I don't think anyone is going to beat Thompson in the 100m, so the 200m is Bowie's best shot at winning a World title.

Braulio

World Championships in London begin this Friday!!

Andre de Grasse is OUT of the competition, due to injury just this past monday so we wont see him against Bolt who will run only the 100 metres and 4x100 relay

ilovepaydays

I am so excited about these next 10 days! :D

Beside Bolt's retirement and this being Mo Farrah's last global track championship, I'm really excited about what Wayde van Niekerk does in the 200m/400m double.

I think the best head-to-head will be Shaunae Miller-Uibo vs. Allyson Felix in the women's 400m.

I also wonder if any world records will fall in London. Ryan Crouser (USA) has said he will be going for it the shotput.

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
ESPN sent out a mobile notification that Justin Gatlin is being investigated by the USADA for doping. How shocking. :rolleyes:

ilovepaydays

Ugh. I was :rolleyes: for why USATF kept Dennis Mitchell as the USA’s 4X100m relay coach for so many years. Especially considering Mitchell’s :eek: :lol: own doping story.

Seerek

Quite a few athletes getting their country's Athlete of the year honours

Sally Pearson
Nafi Thiam
Mo Farah

(...list to be continued)

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
I am just curious why Track and Fields news Magazine hasnt printed their 2017 world rankings per event yet. They are usually out by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information