Netflix/Prime/Hulu Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

screech

Rufus Sewell and the actress who plays his wife are so compelling, I have to continually remind myself not to root for the Nazis.
I'm the same way! Also felt the same with the Hitler storyline in season 2 which somehow made him out to be not the worst option out there. When I realized that I was like "WTF no! He's IS the worst!"
I enjoy the Nazi storylines much more than the Japanese storylines. Mind you, I'm also not a fan of random alternate universe stuff.

In other show news, just finished watching season 3 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. And I have Titus' new song (from episode 4) stuck in my head. So damn catchy!
Also in this season, loved recurring guest star Daveed Diggs. Though I miss Dong.

clairecloutier

Im also loving The Man in the High Castle. I liked season 2 better than season 1. Found most of the characters more compelling & interesting in the second season, except for Joe, who did not come off well. This is the best role I've ever seen Rufus Sewell play, and his screen wife is great too. I'm interested in their storyline--but didn't care for Joe's Berlin storyline.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I've started to watch the Handmaid's Tale and it seriously threw me immediately in a small depression I think. After watching the first three episodes, I spent the worst night and waking up to the horror in Manchester, I felt I was in a nightmare. This is an excellent serie, Elizabeth Moth is just phenomenal but my word does the story frightens me as a woman living in a country where the president referred to women as baby machine saying they should have at least three kids among others outrageous declarations and where liberties have been eroding more and more, it's intense.
I'll keep on watching but tonight I'll take a break.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I just finished watching The Kettering Incident on Amazon Prime. It's set on Tasmania. I thought it was excellent. I really like it. The ending doesn't answer a whole lot of questions, and I don't know when or if it will come back but I still loved it. It really sucked me in until I had to finish watching it asap.

skatingguy

decently
I've started to watch the Handmaid's Tale and it seriously threw me immediately in a small depression I think. After watching the first three episodes, I spent the worst night and waking up to the horror in Manchester, I felt I was in a nightmare. This is an excellent serie, Elizabeth Moth is just phenomenal but my word does the story frightens me as a woman living in a country where the president referred to women as baby machine saying they should have at least three kids among others outrageous declarations and where liberties have been eroding more and more, it's intense.
I'll keep on watching but tonight I'll take a break.
I haven't been able to watch the series. I haven't recovered from the trauma of having to read the book in high school. Also wanted to point out that the actresses name is Elisabeth Moss - from The West Wing and Madmen.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I haven't been able to watch the series. I haven't recovered from the trauma of having to read the book in high school. Also wanted to point out that the actresses name is Elisabeth Moss - from The West Wing and Madmen.
Sorry for the typo just realized it reading your post :shuffle:
It is indeed traumatic but compelling so I'll keep on watching, I'm hoping for something positive to come out at the end of the story. I love thought-provoking dramas and this is exceding all my wishes for sure.

Karina1974

Finally watching Ken Burns' The Civil War. I have been wanting to see this for years, ever since getting to know two of the people who performed music for it, Jay Ungar and Molly Mason, whose "Ashokan Farewell" is the first piece of music heard in the series.

topaz

Did anyone watch Ann w/an E on netflix? I liked it even though the reviews were so so. I hope it is renewed. The acting was excellent.

clairecloutier

We finally started watching The Crown on Netflix. We're 4 episodes in, and I'm finding it rather dull. Does it pick up as the series goes on??

VGThuy

We finally started watching The Crown on Netflix. We're 4 episodes in, and I'm finding it rather dull. Does it pick up as the series goes on??

Sort of. I found it to be incredibly overrated and I loved the film The Queen...after I got older and appreciated a lot of the themes. I kept watching The Crown because of the performances of Jared Harris and Vanessa Kirby and Alex Jennings and just because it was nice enough to watch. I found Claire Foy to be only ok and a big missed opportunity while I found Matt Smith almost unwatchable myself.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed

I don't know if it "picks up". I very much liked it, and I admired all the performances (John Lithgow really grew on me), but if you don't like it by now, I would say bail.

Also, my opinions are horribly cross-threaded with others. After four episodes of "High Castle", I thought why I am watching a show where I don't care about a single one of the characters and it is unremittingly grim, grim, grim, and getting grimmer. So off the Watchlist it went.:D

clairecloutier

Sort of. I found it to be incredibly overrated and I loved the film The Queen...after I got older and appreciated a lot of the themes. I kept watching The Crown because of the performances of Jared Harris and Vanessa Kirby and Alex Jennings and just because it was nice enough to watch. I found Claire Foy to be only ok and a big missed opportunity while I found Matt Smith almost unwatchable myself.

I think my impressions so far are similar to yours. There are certain things the series does well (mainly, showing the uncertain mood/political conflict of postwar England). But yeah, in terms of strong storytelling and dramatic potential, I'm finding it lacking, and I'm a bit surprised there were so many raves about it. Totally agree with you on the acting. The supporting cast is strong, but the 2 main characters aren't drawing me in. Claire Foy seems blank as Elizabeth, and yeah, Matt Smith--what's with all the smirking and sneering?

Having just watched the PBS Victoria series, comparisons are inevitable, as both series address many of the same questions: 1) how does a female monarch handle a male spouse when their traditional gender roles are reversed, 2) how does a constitutional monarch handle a role where they live in pomp & splendor but have no actual power, and 3) how does the monarchy keep up with a changing social/political scene. Overall so far, I think the Victoria series does a better job exploring these issues and also has much more appealing main characters/actors. (Albert in particular was a far more interesting royal spouse than Philip in The Crown, so far anyway.)

Seerek

In other show news, just finished watching season 3 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. And I have Titus' new song (from episode 4) stuck in my head. So damn catchy!
Also in this season, loved recurring guest star Daveed Diggs. Though I miss Dong.

It's interesting that Titus had two prominent music videos in the first 4 episodes (debates going on as to which one was better). Also, Laura Dern's casting was quite spot on - nomination material, imo.

Spun Silver

I'm watching a Danish TV series called Dicte, about a bold journalist who gave up her baby at age 16 because of her Jehovah's Witness parents. Danish is an incredibly glottal language - I love listening to it. All the main characters are really well acted and the stories (2 episodes each) are all interesting and well written. The heroine is endearing. For some reason, I think her deep good-naturedness, she reminds me of my best friend in the world. I thInk people here would like it. Maybe not @Tesla as Dicte isnt lonely and there are no stunning landscapes. It's set in the city of Aarhus and the location isn't really featured at all.

ETA: I forgot to add that she's a crime reporter who works with (sort of) the police so the show fits into the detective genre.

Last edited:

Tesla

Whippet Good
I'm watching a Danish TV series called Dicte, about a bold journalist who gave up her baby at age 16 because of her Jehovah's Witness parents. Danish is an incredibly glottal language - I love listening to it. All the main characters are really well acted and the stories (2 episodes each) are all interesting and well written. The heroine is endearing. For some reason, I think her deep good-naturedness, she reminds me of my best friend in the world. I thInk people here would like it. Maybe not @Tesla as Dicte isnt lonely and there are no stunning landscapes. It's set in the city of Aarhus and the location isn't really featured at all.

ETA: I forgot to add that she's a crime reporter who works with (sort of) the police so the show fits into the detective genre.
I loved the first two seasons but hated the third. They killed off my favorite character!

Spun Silver

I loved the first two seasons but hated the third. They killed off my favorite character!
Uh oh. Don't tell me! I'm at the beginning of season 2. My favorite apart from Dicte is the (lonely) chief inspector and I will be upset if he disappears. But I like all the characters!

Tesla

Whippet Good
Uh oh. Don't tell me! I'm at the beginning of season 2. My favorite apart from Dicte is the (lonely) chief inspector and I will be upset if he disappears. But I like all the characters!
I'm sorry! I missed the "I'm watching" part. It is a good series.

Karina1974

I binged and watched all 7 episodes of Keepers. I am emotionally worn out.

I believe it.

Before I started that series I also watched the movie Changeling this afternoon. That depicted another form of abuse, gas lighting.

And people really want to go back to the "good old days." They ought to be careful what they wish for.

Allskate

It took me some time to get through the series. I found the relationship between the sisters the most interesting, though apparently there is some poetic license taken with that part of the story. But maybe the royals just aren't my thing. I didn't finish watching Victoria. I thought that was weaker than The Crown.

I'm currently watching the Medicis. Cosimo makes for nice eye candy. It's pretty good. Nothing great.

VGThuy

I saw a few posters posted about Victoria and I was wondering what people's thoughts were. The two reviews were pretty opposite in comparing it with The Crown. I remember really enjoying the Victoria and Albert miniseries from the 1990s and I have a real soft spot for The Young Victoria with Emily Blunt as it probably historically inaccurately ramped up the romance in the early years and their courtship and I'm a sucker for a good romance. How does the series compare with those two works?

Yehudi

AITA
I am got a 7 day trial of Comic Con Hq through Amazon Prime. I'm currently watching Con Man, where Alan Tudyk plays a parody of himself, and is about life as an actor on the con circuit.

I'm also watching Mark Hamill's Pop Culture Quest, where Mark meets with collectors of pop culture items such as Japanese robots, space ship models, and action figures. Mark Hamill is a collector and pop culture enthusiast himself (supposedly, he had it in his contract that he would get one of every Star Wars merchandise that would ever come out), so you know that he is really interested in what they have to show and their stories about how they got into collecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information