U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Agreed. Not a snowball's chance in hell they're waiting that late. NHK is only two weeks before SkAm.

Plus as Firedancer says, they always announce it early enough for the skaters to attend champs camp, if they weren't already.

Dobre

Agreed. Not a snowball's chance in hell they're waiting that late. NHK is only two weeks before SkAm.

Plus as Firedancer says, they always announce it early enough for the skaters to attend champs camp, if they weren't already.

They announced the dance spot later, after Champs Camp, last season.

Sylvia

TBD
They announced the dance spot later, after Champs Camp, last season.
USFS decided on the men's and ladies' TBD spots in August so that Timothy Dolensky and Angela Wang could attend Champs Camp (the pairs and dance TBDs each had 1 initial GP assignment and already were scheduled for Champs Camp).

The 7 U.S. men's GP assignments are:
Nathan Chen (Russia-1 & America-6)
Grant Hochstein (Russia-1 & China-3)
Jason Brown (Canada-2 & Japan-4)
Max Aaron (China-3 & France-5)
Vincent Zhou (China-3 & France-5)
Adam Rippon (Japan-4 & America-6)
Joshua Farris (Japan-4)
SA #3 TBD

Ross Miner 5th at Nationals; SB 48
Alex Johnson 6th; SB 57
Timothy Dolensky 7th; SB 35
Sean Rabbitt 8th; SB 54

Champs Camp is scheduled for August 19-23, 2017, in Colorado Springs.

Last edited:

Dobre

USFS decided on the men's and ladies' TBD spots in August so that Timothy Dolensky and Angela Wang could attend Champs Camp (the pairs and dance TBDs each had 1 initial GP assignment and already were scheduled for Champs Camp).

Yes. It's easier to wait if the likely host athletes are already invited to another GP. And there is possible motivation to wait if those athletes are on the replacement list. The most likely SA host picks in at least three disciplines right now already have one invite.

Sylvia

TBD
Happy 16th birthday to Andrew Torgashev today!

Re-posting from the Programs/Choreographers thread:
Andrew Torgashev SP “Moonlight Sonata” by Beethoven choreographed by Ilona Melnichenko and Scott Brown
http://figureskatersonline.com/andrewtorgashev/skating/
On May 1 (didn't see the link posted here):
Andrew Torgashev posted a clip of his new long program to Tango De Roxanne:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTkXXaSlssy/

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The TBD's have been filled each year by September, although it's not written in any documentation I can find. The French Fed used to be the exception, choosing after an internal competition in October, but not for a while.

Of course, they can always be changed, as the French Fed is wont to do. And, in the last couple of years, there have been some, like USFS, that trickes them in earlier.

Last edited:

olympic

Thank you all for the above info re time for selection. It makes sense. I still think Miner has a good shot and I guess it will come down to Summer comps and earlier Senior B comps. I also think Dolensky has a great shot at getting an invite somewhere else and Krasnozhon will stay junior, so the USFSA IMO would be wise to give it to Miner or Farris (based of course on how they look in Sept.)

StitchMonkey

Im surprised that Alexander Johnson is not being seen as a more likely candidate for the TBA. He has been building steadily, and the other guys (other than Sean) have had GP chances. I kinda feel this is his turn, or at least more his turn than Tim as Tim was behind him at Nationals and had SA last year. Part of the point of the TBAs is to spread the wealth. Alex is a good choice for that and i think it may be his turn. That is of course assuming he has a good summer showing.

Marco

The current GP events are given in a way that allows the USFS to focus on maximizing their chances with the selected few skaters for GPF / Olympics (Nathan, Adam, Jason, Max, Grant, Vincent) rather than to spread the wealth (no single events for the likes of Tim, Ross, etc). I am more inclined to bet on Josh getting that spot so that he can have that same shot with the top guys with two events, rather than giving it to someone who has no event so far and isn't going to make the GPF anyway (and not giving Josh a shot at making GPF).

I love Tim and Alex and hope they get enough fall internationals to set themselves up for a GP invite or have some momentum come Nationals.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
The current GP events are given in a way that allows the USFS to focus on maximizing their chances with the selected few skaters for GPF / Olympics (Nathan, Adam, Jason, Max, Grant, Vincent) rather than to spread the wealth (no single events for the likes of Tim, Ross, etc). I am more inclined to bet on Josh getting that spot so that he can have that same shot with the top guys with two events, rather than giving it to someone who has no event so far and isn't going to make the GPF anyway (and not giving Josh a shot at making GPF).

I love Tim and Alex and hope they get enough fall internationals to set themselves up for a GP invite or have some momentum come Nationals.

I agree. ATM if nothing goes wrong with their training I would like to see Polina and Joshua get 2 and at least try and qualify for the Final.

Caroline, Courtney and Miner would have to skate LIGHTS OUUTTTT in a B for me to be persuaded.

Also whatever happened to Tyler. Homegirl done?

And who was the skater who withdrew (was it Nats) at the last minute... and she was also dating Nathan? And then Bradie... there were a handful of young skaters that just seemed to have disappeared......

Added a minute later.. just remembered...Amber G... was that who also disappeared???

Last edited:

Kecasyl

I agree. ATM if nothing goes wrong with their training I would like to see Polina and Joshua get 2 and at least try and qualify for the Final.

Caroline, Courtney and Miner would have to skate LIGHTS OUUTTTT in a B for me to be persuaded.

Also whatever happened to Tyler. Homegirl done?

And who was the skater who withdrew (was it Nats) at the last minute... and she was also dating Nathan? And then Bradie... there were a handful of young skaters that just seemed to have disappeared......
Both Bradie and Tyler were injured last season but are back to training.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks, @YukiNieve! Alex Johnson also shared this FS footwork clip on his Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUvBwi_DuMg/?taken-by=alexmartinj

And announced his SP music: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUvC_VGjdm-/?taken-by=alexmartinj
Excited to announce that my short for 2017/2018 will be to Legends by Sacred Spirit. Choreography: Tom Dickson.
ETA that I've replied to AngieNikodinovLove in the U.S. Ladies thread here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...i-in-a-handbasket.100714/page-29#post-5079312

Last edited:

olympic

I only mentioned Ross for the TBD spot at SA because not too long ago at 2015 RC, he flirted w/ a score of 250 and is capable of skating well. He's medalled at GPs and has been on the World team. At 2017 Nationals, he finally went for the 4S but then fumbled on the relatively easier axel which he is normally consistent with. He's got great SS and is capable of putting it all together. Johnson also has great skills, but his tech content is from the 80s (one thing Tara has stated correctly IMO). He's also been on the scene for a few years and has never really delivered internationally.

I agree that the USFSA might really want to promote Farris who is younger and more likely to stick around after 2018. Ross might retire after this Olympic season. I still think it will come down to these two for the TBD spot

clairecloutier

Good analysis @olympic, and I agree ... I'm sad that Ross doesn't have a GP assignment this year. It's the first time in 7 years (since 2010-11) that he hasn't had an assignment. It's too bad, especially after he came close to putting it all together last year at Nationals. He's a better skater than his international results last year indicate ... It's just that inconsistency has plagued him the last couple seasons. I love both him and Alex Johnson, so I would be happy to see either of them get the SA spot. Especially since it may well be the last season for both of them. (Ross has already said this will probably be his last season.)

But if Josh is looking good in practice (and USFSA will know if he is, what with him being in Colorado Springs), I really will not be able to fault USFSA if they give him the SA spot. Because as much as I like Ross and Alex, from an objective standpoint, Josh is the most promising prospect internationally (as shown by his 4CCs medal a couple years back).

I guess Tim Dolensky is also in the running, but I would prefer to see the pick go to one of the other 3 guys mentioned. I like Tim but I am still a bit uncertain as to his international scoring potential. Both Josh and Ross have had better results internationally, and Alex is possibly the most beautiful skater of all of them (although, it's close between him & Josh).

VGThuy

I think if Farris, Miner, and Johnson look similar after Champ's Camp, then I suspect that it will go to Farris. I think already having one GP will help swing things in his favor as giving him the TBD spot will give him an opportunity to qualify for the GPF. It may also benefit him and the USFS to expose Farris to as many international panels as possible outside of Senior Bs before Nationals.

flyingsit

Agreed. While I adore Johnson's skating (there is nobody currently competing who moves the way he does), assuming that Farris is skating well he has the most international potential of the three. Sadly Miner's time has come and gone, and I will miss him when he retires... those sweeping edges and lovely flow across the ice are :inavoid:

olympic

Good analysis @olympic, and I agree ... I'm sad that Ross doesn't have a GP assignment this year. It's the first time in 7 years (since 2010-11) that he hasn't had an assignment. It's too bad, especially after he came close to putting it all together last year at Nationals. He's a better skater than his international results last year indicate ... It's just that inconsistency has plagued him the last couple seasons. I love both him and Alex Johnson, so I would be happy to see either of them get the SA spot. Especially since it may well be the last season for both of them. (Ross has already said this will probably be his last season.)

But if Josh is looking good in practice (and USFSA will know if he is, what with him being in Colorado Springs), I really will not be able to fault USFSA if they give him the SA spot. Because as much as I like Ross and Alex, from an objective standpoint, Josh is the most promising prospect internationally (as shown by his 4CCs medal a couple years back).

I guess Tim Dolensky is also in the running, but I would prefer to see the pick go to one of the other 3 guys mentioned. I like Tim but I am still a bit uncertain as to his international scoring potential. Both Josh and Ross have had better results internationally, and Alex is possibly the most beautiful skater of all of them (although, it's close between him & Josh).

Thank you.

I think Dolensky, being the top SB skater with no assignments, stands a great chance of substituting somewhere else, so I would not object to the USFSA passing him over. Besides, as JW said at Nats, he hasn't taken his skating to the next level

Marco

I love Ross Miner's skating. But ever since USFS gave him a shot and sent him to worlds in 2011 over Jeremy Abbott (aka the Worlds where the US men team predictably lost its 3rd spot), he really hasn't realized his potential and consistently delivered. Very Brandon Mroz and Richard Dornbush. GREAT on paper but just doesn't quite deliver enough aside from the occasional GP or Nationals short program.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the Programs/Choreographers thread (and cross-posted in his fan/cheer thread):
Josh Farris announced his programs for the upcoming season
(+ there's a Q&A on his new website http://joshfarris.figureskatersonline.com/ice-time/ )
He is keeping both programs from the 2015-16 season, choreo by Buttle
SP: “Give Me Love” by Ed Sheeran (also from 14-15 season)
FP: “Pines of Rome” by Ottorino Respighi
Josh Farris [Q&A]: “My goal right now is to train and just enjoy it”: http://figureskatersonline.com/news...goal-right-now-is-to-train-and-just-enjoy-it/
New website: http://joshfarris.figureskatersonline.com

Last edited:

ross_hy

Timothy Dolensky will be skating SP at the Atlanta Open, which will be held this weekend.

Tim scored 83.34 for short program over the weekend in Atlanta. He fell on the quad, combo was a little iffy, but the 3A looked great. Program is a repeat from last year (Mumford & Sons).

Video - https://www.facebook.com/darlene.cain.56/posts/10154545649954147 (also shared by TSL)
Protocol (factoring not correct) - http://atlantafsc.tripod.com/webonmediacontents/2017 Atlanta Open Saturday IJS Results.pdf

Even though he's not training at home any more, I'll always have a soft spot for Tim since there are so few skaters from here in the South.

Sylvia

TBD
Dolensky's SP (incorrectly labeled as FS) protocol is on the last page of the 17-page document. His published PCS was multiplied by a factor of 2 (for a free skate) so his correct PCS is 37.00; he scored 46.34 TES with 4S called rotated (fall), 3A +2 GOE, landed 3F+3T in 2nd half, plus all level 4 spins and footwork.
He plans to debut his free skate -- "Faux" by Novo Amor, choreographed by Ryan Jahnke -- at this month's Broadmoor Open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information