2017 Grand Prix LADIES: your off-season thoughts on matchups, TBD spots?

Sylvia

TBD
GP Ladies assignments as of May 26, 2017: http://static.isu.org/media/516604/gp_ladies.pdf

Rostelecom Cup, Oct. 20-22, 2017, Moscow, Russia:
Medvedeva RUS (seeded), Kostner ITA (seeded), Meite FRA, Toth HUN, Higuchi JPN, Sakamoto JPN, Tursynbaeva KAZ, S. Park KOR, Radionova RUS, TBD RUS, Bell USA, Nagasu USA

Skate Canada International, Oct. 27-29, 2017, Regina, SK:
Osmond CAN (seeded), K. Chen USA (seeded), Chartrand CAN, TBD CAN, Lecavelier FRA, Rodeghiero ITA, Honda JPN, Hongo JPN, N. Kim KOR, Pogorilaya RUS, Sotskova RUS, Wagner USA

Audi Cup of China, Nov. 3-5, 2017, Beijing, China:
Daleman CAN (seeded), Mihara JPN (seeded), X. Li CHN, Z. Li CHN, Z. Zhao CHN, Higuchi JPN, Honda JPN, Mihara JPN, D. Choi KOR, Radionova RUS, Tuktamysheva RUS, Zagitova RUS, Gold USA

NHK Trophy, Nov. 10-12, 2017, Osaka, Japan:
Medvedeva RUS (seeded), Kostner ITA (seeded), Chartrand CAN, Hongo JPN, Miyahara JPN, Shiraiwa JPN, S. Park KOR, Leonova RUS, Tsurskaya RUS, Rajicova SVK, Bell USA, Nagasu USA

Internationaux de France, Nov. 17-19, 2017, Grenoble, France:
Osmond CAN (seeded), Mihara JPN (seeded), Z. Li CHN, Lecavelier FRA, Meite FRA, Shiraiwa JPN, Tursynbaeva KAZ, Sotskova RUS, Tuktamysheva RUS, Zagitova RUS, Edmunds USA, Gold USA

Skate America, Nov. 24-26, 2017, Lake Placid, New York:
Daleman CAN (seeded), K. Chen USA (seeded), X. Li CHN, Miyahara JPN, Sakamoto JPN, D. Choi KOR, Leonova RUS, Pogorilaya RUS, Tsurskaya RUS, Rajicova SVK, Wagner USA, TBD USA

-----

Since there are ongoing discussions for the GP pairs and dance selections in this subforum, here's one for ladies. (P.S. If anyone would like to suggest a more creative thread title, feel free!)

TBD host spots still open: Russia, Canada, USA (France gave away their 3 spot).

Making their GP debuts with 2 assignments each are Alina Zagitova (2017 WJC & JGPF gold), Marin Honda (2016 WJC gold/2017 WJC silver), Polina Tsurskaya (2015/16 JGPF gold), and Kaori Sakamoto (2017 WJC & JGPF bronze); Yuna Shiraiwa and Ivett Toth have 1 apiece.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I assume Polina is TBD at SA if she is fit up to snuff by champs camp and does well in a senior B?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Unless Caroline gets sent to some Bs and medals at all of them I am in favor of giving SkAm TBD to Polina.

Of all the disciplines ladies looks the toughest and most interesting this cycle.

Each comp looks tough, perhaps CoC being the toughest maybe.

As far as USA ladies goes Ash, Mirai, Karen and Gracie aren't guaranteed medals of any color. Sure will be an exciting year in ladies. Seems like Russia rules the roost. They just about maxed out the entire grid.

Will be exciting to see how pre-season unfolds.

Sylvia

TBD
I assume Polina is TBD at SA if she is fit up to snuff by champs camp and does well in a senior B?
USFS' Champs Camp will be held this year from August 19-23 and all the TBD spots for Skate America are usually filled by then.

Re. Skate Canada's TBD spot (@mag posted the following in the GP Assignments thread in GSD):
For the women I see the front runners as being Sarah Tamura, Larkyn Austman, and Alicia Pinealt with a dark horse being McKenna Colthorp if she shows up with more jumps and rocks the house. She is, IMHO, by far the best "skater" of the group. I give the edge to Sarah because she the only one with all the triples and a 3/3.
Veronik Mallet posted a clip of her landing a 2A back in March (she was off the ice for 5 months due to injury this past season) - I assume she is planning to compete this year?

SamuraiK

My thoughts.

TBD RUS:

It's a battle between Lipnistkaya and Sotnikova, the 2 former Sochi glories fighting against the change of guard, demotivation, injuries and the hopes of one last chance in the spotlight before the new stars get crowned.
If none can be ready on time, Konstantinova for sure.

TBD CAN:
:blah::blah: Only canadian fans care :p

TBD USA:
On paper is probably going to be Polina but I would send her along with Zhang, Glenn, Hicks, Tennell and Wang to as most early seniors Bs as possible in order to chose wisely.

clairecloutier

TBD USA:
On paper is probably going to be Polina but I would send her along with Zhang, Glenn, Hicks, Tennell and Wang to as most early seniors Bs as possible in order to chose wisely.

Of this group, I would actually like to see Tennell get some serious consideration. I'm not saying USFSA should definitely pick her--it's too soon to say that--but she deserves consideration. She skated well at Junior Worlds last season and generally seems to be a pretty steady competitor. In theory, most of the other girls have bigger jumps or better skating skills or better presentation than Tennell. But few of them are as steady as her competitively.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I really don't see the point in Polina getting two unless she medals in France. Even then, GPF is such an odd competition in the Olympic season. It's never not worth going, but it seem to predict much of anything, except maybe "what's the opposite of what will happen at the Olympics?"

Would love to see Mallet get the Canadian TBD.

MAXSwagg

I am just dead at people thinking Sotnikova is really going to 1) come back at all, and/or 2) be competitive. Lol Makes for a good laugh though. LET IT GO PEOPLE!

And what in the world is Carolina doing? There is no way she can compete in this field...

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I am just dead at people thinking Sotnikova is really going to 1) come back at all, and/or 2) be competitive. Lol Makes for a good laugh though. LET IT GO PEOPLE!

And what in the world is Carolina doing? There is no way she can compete in this field...

10-4 on Sotnikova

But wash your mouth out about Caro!!!!!!

Whaddya want... after the break she came back and got the Bronze at Euros... Next Year Silver. What more do you want from my girl.

She beat Ash and others. She beat every Russian last season except Medev but aint no-one has done that

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.

I'm not giving up until the Russian test skates, then I'll let it go. The way Pogorilaya, Sotskova, Konstantinova, and Tsurkaya all underperformed at Junior/Senior Worlds, leads me to believe she could make the Olympic team if she were to get the jumps back (a 3toe3toe will be plenty). :fan:

The fields look roughly similar in terms of difficulty, but I'm willing to bet that will change by August. :drama: I must say, the ladies field is getting some impressive depth, 5 years ago, there always seemed to be a few lame events, but even after the insane RUS and JPN depth, we have multiple strong skaters from Canada, USA, France, China, and Korea. :respec: Love it!

mag

I totally forgot about Mallet, oops! I would love to see her come back and be competitive. To my eye there is a huge void between the top three and the rest of the group.

barbarafan

I totally forgot about Mallet, oops! I would love to see her come back and be competitive. To my eye there is a huge void between the top three and the rest of the group.

She was injured but was back on the ice at xmas so hopefully we will see her this summer. Such a beautiful skater.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

^^^How so

she definitely isn't well received by intnl judges... I do like her, but most people tell me she lacks in most all SS

If I had to pick today Id say lets see what Polina can do with 2

Frida80

The TBD spots will hinge on who does the best in the summer comps. Broodmore, Skate Detroit, Philadelphia, and Glacier falls. I'll be watching for who score the highest and looks the most prepared. It will be a real battle so these competitions are going to be exciting! Look at who's eligible!

Angela Wang
Caroline Zhang
Courtney Hicks
Polina Edmunds
Amber Glenn
Tyler Pierce
Vivian Le
Bradie Tennell

And I'm sure Frank will push for Tessa to get the spot as well. It all comes down to who scores the highest. I hope Polina's jumps are good by then. The competition will be stiff.

Jammers

The TBD spots will hinge on who does the best in the summer comps. Broodmore, Skate Detroit, Philadelphia, and Glacier falls. I'll be watching for who score the highest and looks the most prepared. It will be a real battle so these competitions are going to be exciting! Look at who's eligible!

Angela Wang
Caroline Zhang
Courtney Hicks
Polina Edmunds
Amber Glenn
Tyler Pierce
Vivian Le
Bradie Tennell

And I'm sure Frank will push for Tessa to get the spot as well. It all comes down to who scores the highest. I hope Polina's jumps are good by then. The competition will be stiff.
Tessa needs to stay on the JGP for another season. She hasn't had many international competitions in the last couple years and needs the experience that's why i would have liked to seen her go for the Junior title last year at Nationals if she had won she would probably be in at the top of the list to get that TBD at SA. As it is i hope Vivian Le comes out blazing and gets the spot because the US needs some young blood to take over in a couple years and i think she has more potential then the other girls on the list.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Disagree about Tessa on the JGP. That series is a bloodbath and not sure its helping anyone to do more than a couple seasons as a JGP skater. Senior B should be fine for her.

ichiro

For Skate Canada's TBD spot I'm rooting for Larkyn, hopefully she shows up and lands all her jumps. I actually would have her for the 3rd national spot (over chartrand) if she's clean. On her instagram there's a vid of her landing a nice 3S/3T.

mag

Here's the clip: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTsVNuTDSVU/?taken-by=larkynaustman&hl=en
(ETA: I've posted her FS music & program clips in GSD.)

I would love to see Larkyn land that in competition. She had it in her short all last year and was unsuccessful and then popped the 3S to a double and didn't put the toe on the end at Victoria Day. The loop also seemed to be MIA last season. On paper she has what it takes and the 3lutz at her spring international was a beauty! Just a matter of putting it all together at the right time!

Marco

Unless someone goes completely viral over the summer, I think it is going to be a toss-up between Polina (giving her a shot at making GPF) and Tessa.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I don't think Hong has done anything that should qualify her for a spot on the Grand Prix at this point in her career. One 10th place finish at senior nationals, no international junior success to speak of, and she should skip everyone that's ahead of her domestically? I say no.

Marco

I don't think Hong has done anything that should qualify her for a spot on the Grand Prix at this point in her career. One 10th place finish at senior nationals, no international junior success to speak of, and she should skip everyone that's ahead of her domestically? I say no.

Let's see how her summer and fall goes. If it is true that USFS asked Carroll to take her on, then the situation can be quite different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information